GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Albert Greener Hammer Shotgun 12 guage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dan111670@yahoo.com
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  9:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I recently purchased an old side by side 12 guage hammer gun. Stamped on the top between the barrels and on sides is "Albert Greener London Laminated Steel" and on sides in the scroll work is "Albert Greener". It has great scroll work. I cant find any serial numbers anywhere. How can I tell the age and where would serial numbers be? Is this the same as WW Greener or totally different? I havent been able to find any reference to Albert Greener shotguns only WW Greener. I appreciate any help you all could offer. Thanks!

Dan

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  10:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
come join us over at: www.gunshop.com. post on the doubleguns forum. i gaurentee you'll get a good/fast answer. i strongly recommend this sight to anyone else who has old side by sides and euro gun questions. see you there! hope i helped.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15924 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  10:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't find anything in my references on a "Albert Greener"
Chances are you have a Belgian made shotgun, with the Greener name placed on it for marketing purposes.
Give us a rundown of the proofmarks found on the barrels and watertable, this will tell the tale.
The Belgians and Spanish did this kind of hokos-pokos for years, well into the 20th Century, trying to snare the gullible with there spurious names and markings.

Edited by - rufe-snow on 09/13/2003 10:35:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

dan111670@yahoo.com
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  1:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found serial numbers. It is marked 173 and they match from front stock, barrels, and main. I dont know how I could miss them but I guess the number seemed too low to be serial #. The proof marks show two crossed swords with points pointing to the upper left and lower left with a dot or some type of mark to the right and left of swords. On the underside between barrels it is stamped JD. Also 12B over 13M CHOKE on each barrel. Proof is double stamped under the right barrel. It also shows 13 between proof marks on the underside of each barrel. I hope this can help narrow it down. Thanks for all the help!

Dan
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15924 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  2:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The markings you've given resemble proofs used on English shotguns prior to 1887. Whether they are in fact English proofs applied to a Belgian manufactured shotgun, or spurious proofs placed on the shotgun to make it appear to be English, I can't say?
Go to Top of Page

dan111670@yahoo.com
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  3:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received an email from Graham N. Greener in regards to my inquiry. He said that Albert was the younger brother of WW Greener and made firearms but was not part of the company. Also that all were handmade so impossible to find parts for. Interesting piece though. Does anyone have any idea about valuation of this since it is not in any bokks??? Thanks! Dan
Email from Greener Company follows:

Albert Greener was a younger brother of W W Greener. We know very little about Albert, he made some guns but he was not part of the W W Greener company as such. Most of the guns made by Albert Greener that we have seen are medium or lower grade, breech loading hammer guns. At the time he
made guns all were hand made, so spare parts as do not exist. Missing parts have to be made to fit and today this is very expensive due to the high cost of skilled craftsmen. Unless the gun is a best model it is usually
uneconomical to repair. I attach some notes which I hope you will find useful.
Best regards
Graham N. Greener
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15924 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  4:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It always pays to go to the "Horses Mouth". I stand corrected!
Go to Top of Page

dan111670@yahoo.com
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  5:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how to find out what the value and rarity of a piece like this? I dont even know where to start. I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15924 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you have what appears to be a shotgun from a English maker who was a member of the Greener family, whose production was limited, the collectors market for it is probably in England.
Go to this site there are a lot of dealers listed who specialize in older shotguns. Start sending them e-mails with pictures, hopefully they will be able to help you.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/identify.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page