GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Stripped lower receiver?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimmyconway

59 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  7:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to a gun show today in Houston and got this guy's card from M&A Parts. I checked out their website and they have AR kits for sale, and the note at the top says "A "Kit" consists of everything with the exception of a stripped lower receiver. All components to assemble the lower receiver are included, no FFL required". So what exactly does a stripped lower receiver consist of?

jimmyconway

59 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  7:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I assume that the stripped lower has to be pre-ban to put a pre-ban kit on it right?
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
19008 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  7:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A stripped lower receiver is the housing that contains the fire controls and the magazine well. It is also the serialized part that a FFL is required for.

A preban receiver is required for a preban kit, but can only be assembled now for an exempt individual or sales sample.

I'm sure someone will go into much greater detail for you on this.

A man who starts imagining that others think good because he does is simply out of his mind
It behooves one to be wary when among strangers and not to trust too much L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

nitrouz

1720 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  7:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Assault Weapons ban is allowed to expire in 2004, you may build a rifle with the evil features..such as bayonet lug and flash hider.

You can even buy those receivers on Ebay, without an FFL. They sell for slightly more and are not completed receivers requiring serial numbers.

You drill the holes and assemble a legal rifle according to state and federal laws. Can not ever be sold to anyone.

American's Right to bear arm's is the only reason we're here today.
Go to Top of Page

easygo6

USA
1220 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  8:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p3skyking is right, there are some members that are much more knowledgeable in this area...and NO, you cannot assemble a pre-ban rifle unless the receiver is serialized AND pre-ban (pricey, but available).

As I understand it though, you CANNOT assemble a pre-ban, rifle from a parts kit using an unserialized receiver from ebay bought on ebay. You may be able to assemble a rifle...but NOT with pre-ban upper.

SEMPER FI
Go to Top of Page

jimmyconway

59 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p3skyking...So even if I had the kit with a stripped lower receiver, I could not legally have somebody assemble the lower with the parts from the kit?
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
18927 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would have to use a post ban parts kit to instal on a new lower receiver. Basically this means no flash hidder and no bayonet lug on an AR type rifle. Pre ban kits may only be used for repair or replacement of parts for pre 1994 assault weapons and you are prohibited from assembling any new assault weapon which did not already exist prior to the 1994 Crime Bill. The stripped lower is exactly what Skyking described; it is the serialized component of the rifle and requires an FFL or the usual purchasing procedures for an unlicensed individual.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
19008 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  01:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimmy, Mark is right on. Even a preban receiver can legally be used only for a post ban weapon if assembled now (Unless the exceptions mentioned).
As Nitrouz mentioned, the ban supposed to poof next year. If so, you can have your weapon much cheaper than now.

A man who starts imagining that others think good because he does is simply out of his mind
It behooves one to be wary when among strangers and not to trust too much L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

kimberkid
Advanced Member

USA
11585 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  08:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jimmyconway,
This is a striped lower:

Personally I don't think we'll see a big drop in prices if the ban goes away ... of course I expect we'll see the ban get renewed ...

The only difference between a pre-ban kit and a post-ban kit is the bayo lug and flash hider, and barrels aren't that expensive. Right now I doubt any supplier is stocking up on post-ban kits just in case.

Another thing the "ban" has shown, is how much more people will pay for those 2 little things (3 if you count the fact that the barrel is threaded for the flash hider).

Of course, in the dealers dreams, the ban will go away and everyone will be getting rid of their post-ban guns dirt cheap and paying a premium for the same gun with a bayo lug and flash hider ... and there will be those that do ... but their will be a lot more that don't.

Its going to be interesting ...

===========================
Chance favors the prepared mind

kimberkid@cox.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page