GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Mowrey Black Powder Rifle Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

capecod

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  4:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just purchased a .45cal reproduction Mowery black powder rifle with a 30" Dixie scope. Frame is all brass - barrel is blued. Scope is brass.
45 is stamped on the side of the barrel near the nipple and WL Mowery is stamped on the top of the barrel.It also has adjustable open sights. No other manufacturer's marks. Does anyone know any background about the Mowery Rifle? Was it strictly a target rifle?
When were Mowery rifles introduced? It is an extremely heavy rifle.
Anything you can tell me about its history would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Expecting the World to treat you fairly because you are a nice person is like expecting the bull not to charge you because you are a vegetarian!

bill2740

697 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  7:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
The reproduction Mowery rifles were manufactured in Olney, Texas
in the 1970's. Went bankrupt in 3 years. The brass receiver male
threads screwed into the steel barrel-a lot of failures at this spot.
They made rifles, carbines, and smooth bores.
Value???? Get what you can and run.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

jjmitchell60
Advanced Member

USA
3602 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  12:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For many years there was a company that set up in the sheep sheds at the NMLRA walter Cline Range in Friendship, IN that was called Mowery Gun Works. They made several styles of the Mowery rifle that I saw at their booth with one having a brass frame. They also made a model with a steel frame and they did come in all types of lengths, calibers, and barrel weights. Mostly the were target rifles but the steel frame model was a hunter model. I wanted to buy one of the steel frame models many times but found other guns that I wanted more. Now I am sorry I did not get one. These guns were still being produced by Mowery Gun Works in the early 1990s. They are being produced now by this outfit:
Mowery Gun Works (Ethan Allan Rifles), P.O. Box 246, Dept. MB
Waldron, IN 46182, (317) 525-6181. Catalog: $2.50
Give them a call as to the rifle you have and they might be able to tell you more. Hope this helps.

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
Go to Top of Page

capecod

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  09:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've been able to gather researching the Mowery Rifle on the internet - my rifle was made by the ex-Ethan Allen company in Indiana. Unfortunately they don't have a web site. Its a beautiful rifle and very heavy. No papers came with the rifle and it looks like it has never been shot. I ran a clean patch down the bore and it came out clean.
I'll contact Mowery Gun Works by phone and also purchase their catalog.
Thanks for your help - I appreciate it.
John

Expecting the World to treat you fairly because you are a nice person is like expecting the bull not to charge you because you are a vegetarian!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page