GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Bauer Firearms Corp. ???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arashikage_Tengu
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  12:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help for some friends. They have the last name of Bauer and recently discovered a couple of firearms manufactured by a Bauer Firearms Corp. out of Fraser, MI. They were only in business from 1971-1984. They produced two known guns:
THE RABBIT .22 LR cal. and .410 bore, combination gun, all metal construction, O/U configuration. Mfg. from 1982-84,
& the .25 ACP cal., 2½ in. barrel, 6 shot, fixed sights, checkered walnut or pearlite grips. Mfg. from 1972-84. The .25 also came in a Bicentennial Model, engraved with buckle in display case.

If anyone could supply me with more information about the company, owners, how many of each firearm was produced, and if they made any other weapons, the Bauer family and I would be most appreciative.

Also, in the Blue Book, where I got the information I have, it listed THE RABBIT .410 shotgun/.22 rifle combo gun as a derringer. How can that be? I saw that someone else was looking for a gun like this in another thread in here. When I think of a derringer I think of a palm-sized single-shot, maybe double-shot, pistol. In fact, Merriam-Websters Online Dictionary list a derringer like this:

Main Entry: der·rin·ger
Pronunciation: 'der-&n-j&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Henry Deringer died 1869 American inventor
Date: 1853
: a short-barreled pocket pistol

Guns do not covet your wealth, seek revenge or justify their actions with righteousness. Fear not the weapon, but the man who wields it. The only rational purpose for mastering violence is to abolish it.

Edited by - Arashikage_Tengu on 12/09/2003 02:16:16 AM

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  12:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3 you mentioned are the only guns they made.The .25 is an exact copy of the Baby Browning ,except in stainless.

ATF.Eagle Guns
Go to Top of Page

Arashikage_Tengu
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  12:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ATF

The 3 you mentioned are the only guns they made.The .25 is an exact copy of the Baby Browning ,except in stainless.

ATF.Eagle Guns

Do you, by chance, know how many of each firearm was produced?

Guns do not covet your wealth, seek revenge or justify their actions with righteousness. Fear not the weapon, but the man who wields it. The only rational purpose for mastering violence is to abolish it.
Go to Top of Page

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  12:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry,I don't.The info I gave you came from the Blue Book and looks identical to what you posted.

ATF.Eagle Guns
Go to Top of Page

Arashikage_Tengu
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  02:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a matter of fact, the Blue Book is where I got the information I already have. Which, brings up another question: How can a gun like the THE RABBIT .410 shotgun/.22 rifle combo gun be listed as a derringer? I saw that someone else was looking for a gun like this in another thread in here. When I think of a derringer I think of a palm-sized single, maybe double-shot, pistol.

BTW, you're not seeing double. I re-edited my original post to now include this question.

Go to Top of Page

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  02:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a misprint,I have an older Blue Book the Seveenth Edition and it's listed as a combination gun. No barrel length.

ATF.Eagle Guns
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  08:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bauer did not actually produce its copy of the Baby Browning automatic pistol in-house. These pistols were manufactured for Bauer by R.B. Industries who were also located in Fraser, MI. After Bauer closed in doors in the mid 1980's R.B. Industries continued to produce market the Baby Browning automatic themselevs, until they went out of business in around 1990. The production and marketing of these little pistols is a highly complex story filled with many twists and turns.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12677 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  09:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last I checked, the successor the .25 was being produced by Precision Small Arms in California.

I am afraid that you will find little information about Bauer. Despite having "Corp" in their name, they were a TINY company that left barely a ripple on the pond.

Neal

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v15/nmyers/Mvc-001f.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Jgreen
Advanced Member

2533 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  9:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have been looking for information on this company, and I live only 15 miles from fraser. Also, has anyone ever heard of the Indian firearms company, also a michigan company? They made what looks to be a 98% copy of a walther PPK/s.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page