GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Ohio Gun Law-Transfer of Sale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

s.gun

2356 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Read another Post that got me wondering about the Ohio Law concerning the Ohio Gun Laws.

Should I Register a gun through a F.F.L. Dealer when selling or buying from another indivudual in Ohio ?

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.

nmyers
Advanced Member

12618 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The state of Ohio does not have firearms registration, according to State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (ATF P5300.5). Several cities have restrictions on firearms, so you need to determine if you live in one of those cities.

You should check with your Attorney General's office, or State Police, to be sure that there is no new legislation that requires you to register. If you are told to register the gun, request a copy of the relevant statute first; some State Police agencies have been known to lie about the need for registration; e.g., Maryland State Police.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

richbug
Advanced Member

3544 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only private sales in ohio that require an FFL that I know of are NFA guns. Ohio doesn't have state police, I would call the county sherrif if you were concerned. I don't see and problem with what you are doing.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
Go to Top of Page

king999

788 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  1:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you live in some restrictive community, Ohio residents may make private transfers with no paper work involved. Seller MUST, however determine that buyer is Ohio resident, 21+ for handgun, 18+ for long gun, is NOT purchasing for someone else (straw man sale),is not a felon, and should feel that the sale is not to an incompetant.
Have fun, be careful!
Morty

Go to Top of Page

john w
Advanced Member

4048 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  01:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell No are you nuts. If you sell exchange info just for your records in case there is a problem and if you buy exchange info also, or do not exchange at all whatever floats your boat. Do not go on record it is not required for in state casual sales

It's All Crapola!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page