GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Sterling .380 D/A
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cjoker99
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  04:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to find ANY info on a handgun that was given to me from my father. It doesn't have any serial numbers, that I can tell, and there aren't any scratches to show that any possible serial numbers were removed. The only info I can find on the gun is that it's a Sterling .380 D/A and that it was made by Sterling Arms in Gasport, NY. I think it might be a model 400 because it either says: "MOD.400" or "HOD.400". I'm assuming it's "MOD.400" meaning model 400. I also tried to remove the slide, because I can remember doing so as a kid, but for some strange reason..I can't get it removed now so that I can do a better inspection of the weapon to see if it's safe to fire. I also heard a rumor that it is a very unsafe gun has been known to have some dramatic misfires. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

timinpa

USA
1757 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  08:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sterling did make a model 400 .380acp it was semi-automatic:double action with a 3 and a half inch barrel 6 and a half inch over all length micrometer rear sight,fixed ramp front sight,thumb roll saftey,and they had checkered rosewood grips if this sounds like yours they were introduced in 1973 and discontinued in 1984 and the values are as follows.... excellent $165 very good$135 good$110... they were also made in a satin nickel finish and a stainless steel if you have one of those your only looking at adding about $10 to the values above. anyways hope this helps TIM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15851 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  10:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one of the early production, ( PPL ? ) single action, .380 cal. Sterlings when they first hit the market in the mid 70's.

I never could get it to work right! No matter what fix I tried, it just wasn't reliable. Finally in discust, just dumped it.

Unfortunately for Sterling my pistol wasn't a anomally! There whole line of handguns had a similar reputation. How they stayed in business as long as they did ( circa mid 70's to mid 80's ) always puzzled me?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page