GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 JL GALEF & SONS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wap
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  11:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have a 20ga O/U with the name JL GALEF & SONS Silver SnipeIII. Does anyone know anything about this gun? Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
williamprim@adelphia.net

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15847 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  11:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"J L Galef" was the long time principal importer of Beretta manufactured firearms, circa 1940's to 1980's.

Your shotgun was produced by Beretta, probably in the 1960's.

There should be a "Made in Italy" marking, along with Italian proof marks.

Edited by - rufe-snow on 01/19/2004 11:28:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

2520wcf

145 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rufe Snow is certainly right that it is an Italian shotgun, but it might not be a Beretta. Galef also imported Antonio Zoli shotguns in the same period and there is some (deliberate?) confusion between the makers and their models. Zoli and Beretta BOTH marketed an O/U called the "Silver Snipe" and a SXS called the "Silver Hawk"! They are all excellent guns; I've used all four extensively. So if you are KEEPING this shotgun, it's an academic question as to which it is.

But if you intend to SELL it, find out if it is really a Beretta before you advertise it as one.

A Beretta will have the Beretta, Gardone trademark on it somewhere; a Zoli will have the Antonio Zoli, Brescia marking. Another quick way to tell with most of these guns (there are exceptions...) is that a Beretta "Silver Hawk" SXS will have a Greener crossbolt action; the Zoli "Silver Hawk" won't. Conversely, the Beretta "Silver Snipe" O/U will have the Beretta-patented "conical" locking lugs inside the reviever; the Zoli "Silver Snipe" will probably have a square or oval Greener crossbolt on the outside of the reciever. Are we having fun yet?

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19259 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  6:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at an old Galef catalog from 1971 and your shotgun is listed as the Galef "Zoli" Silver Snipe Over & Under. These shotguns were available in either 12 or 20 guage and in a variety of configurations. The standard game model listed for $229.95, a standard skeet or trap gun for $259.95, the vent rib model with selective automatic ejectors for $274.95, and the top level skeet or trap model listed for $304.95. It is worth noting that at this time Galef only imported the line of Beretta handguns, while Beretta shotguns were imported by the old Garcia Corp.. I have not thought about Galef for many years!

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2889 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  7:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark- I'm looking at a 1963 Burtons Guide to Foreign Firearms and it shows,at that time ,Galef imported Beretta shotguns as well as pistols.The Silver Snipe was a Beretta Model as well,in both 12 and 20 ga.I think I recall Garcia picking them up in the late 60's.Can't get to all my old catalogs now to be more exact.In '63 the prices started at $174.50 and went up according to configuration.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

Edited by - Hangfire on 01/20/2004 7:23:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19259 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll need to go back prior to 1960 Hangfire because I have a Galef catalog showing them as importers of Beretta pistols as of that date. I'd be curious to learn when Galef first started importing for Beretta so if you can go back further than 1960 please let us know. If I recall correctly, Garcia picked up the handgun line from Galef in late 1969 and Beretta began their own importation in 1980.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2889 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Garcia picked up all Beretta guns by 1969[that would be late 60's, right]Memory's a little shakey, I was just leaving the gunshop and graduating from college.I don't really know what books I have,got them so packed away.Those were sure great times.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15847 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark christian

You'll need to go back prior to 1960 Hangfire because I have a Galef catalog showing them as importers of Beretta pistols as of that date. I'd be curious to learn when Galef first started importing for Beretta so if you can go back further than 1960 please let us know. If I recall correctly, Garcia picked up the handgun line from Galef in late 1969 and Beretta began their own importation in 1980.

Mark T. Christian

The Triple K Catalog that I have ( Edition 15 ) gives extensive ink to the Beretta pistols imported by J. F. Galef & Sons. The dates they give are the mid 1950's.

I personally believe that Galef imported Beretta's, prior to that date.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page