GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 What's a Sile???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

big man
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  02:07:40 AM  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I was shooting trap with a friend, he had an old 12 ga o/u that he let me shoot. I fell in love with this shotgun. It's a Sile, 12 ga o/u. I have since traded him a 410 for it. I have looked all over the web for info on the gun. I really want to know more about Sile guns. Like when mine was made. Also where it was made. The value isnt really that important, 'cause I dont think I'd get rid of it.
I have posted on other boards, and I have yet to find any one who has heard of them. Can one of you help.
Thank you in advance.
The Big Man

woodsrunner
Advanced Member

USA
3990 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  02:28:08 AM  Show Profile
As far as I know Sile didn't manufacture any of it's guns. Sile was an importer back in the late 70's early 80's. Your gun is likely Italian or Spanish made. At least that's where all thier muzzleloaders and replica Sharps rifles were made.

Woods

Go to Top of Page

bambihunter
Advanced Member

USA
9555 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  02:30:31 AM  Show Profile
I don't have much info on them, except that they were a distributer, importer, and manufacturer located in NY. They made firearms and accessories and had a few guns made to their own label.

The only gun my books show is a Field Master II O/U Shotgun. It has 3" chambers, 28" barrel and has a satin-finished walnut checkered stock and forend. It was introduced in 1989...

Value:
NIB: $563
Exc. $450
Good $306

*I thought that was odd that they put "precise" prices in the book, they usually round to even 5's or 10's...* The Gun Trader's Guide 26th edition shows a pic of that gun, not too bad lookin'!

Welcome to GunBroker by the way...
Go to Top of Page

big man
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  02:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the Welcome. I appreciate it.
I just inspected my gun again, like I need a reason to fondle my guns again. It has the line " MAR MADE IN ITALY" on the top of the barrel. What does the MAR mean?
Oh well, It is a 28" and It's great for trap. It swings beautifully. Oh well. I appreciate the help.
Go to Top of Page

bambihunter
Advanced Member

USA
9555 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  04:03:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by big man

What does the MAR mean?

I really don't know... sorry.
Go to Top of Page

jsergovic
Advanced Member

5560 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  04:24:32 AM  Show Profile
Try these folks:

Sile Distributors, Inc.
998 N. Colony Road
Meriden, CT 06450
(203) 238-4285

Also found this:
The common European gull (Larus canus); -- called also mar.
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  08:26:14 AM  Show Profile
sounds like a marrachi(sp) shotgun to me.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
Go to Top of Page

hoosier

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  10:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Sile Distributors, Inc. went out of business in 1999.

They imported Shotguns from Investarms (fairly inexpensive). And Marocchi made in Italy (MAR). Marocchi models imported were M-58 Fireld Hunter and M-83 Field Master.

www.hoosiergunworks.com
Go to Top of Page

big man
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  01:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Hoosier, that is very interesting. What are the chances of there being some pictures someplace out here to see which one I have. I emailed investarms a week ago or so, to see if they had any information. But I never heard back from them. (pretty rude I thought). Well once again, thank you all, I do appreciate the info. Ya know.. I always wanted to own an Italian shotgun. I'll just start telling all my shooting buddies that it's an Italian custom job. LOL
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  08:10:04 AM  Show Profile
unfortunatley, your friends will probably know what it is and you will appear to be the one coming late to the game! sell it and get a perazzi and really knock em for a loop! enjoy your gun. aim straight and dont miss. glad we could help! regards.....

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
Go to Top of Page

hoosier

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  08:49:46 AM  Show Profile
go to our website and check under barrels it give a picture of the Marrochi barres, that will give model numbers of Marrochi. www.hoosiergunworks.com
Go to Top of Page

hoosier

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  08:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Marrochi is was imported by Charles Day untill2 years ago Tri-Star is now importing the current series.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page