GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 STEVENS PUMP ACTION/OPEN HAMMER 22 CAL RIFLE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Winchester Model 12
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  7:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old Stevens 22 Cal. Pump Action/Open Hammer rifle also. I purchased it at a Garage Sale in the late 1950s or early 1960s. It is all together and operable, and in fairly good condtion. On the barrel above the pump handle is stamped J.STEVENS ARMS COMPANY.CHICOPEE FALLS.MASS.U.S.A. Under that is stamped *VISIBLE LOADING REPEATER.PAT. APR. 30-07*. On the right rear side of the barrel is stamped TRADE MARK and the word STEVENS under that. Opposite that on the barrel is stamped 22 SHORT - LONG and OR LONG RIFLE under that. On the tab (tang?)behind the trigger guard is stamped the letter "U" and the No. "734". Can anyone provide historical information about this rifle and an estimate of what it is worth?
I'm really curious about this one!

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  8:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Win 12, I am but a budding Stevens collector. I have a Visible Loader also. It's a pretty odd action, is it not?..Among my Favorites, Little Scouts, Marksmen, and Crackshots, the VL is my favorite Stevens. I'm glad you brought this to attention, as I'm sure we will both get good info here..Do you have pics???

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Go to Top of Page

Tailgunner1954
Advanced Member

7245 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  06:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No value or historic info but a word of caution.
The assembly of that rifle requires "timing" screw the parts in to deep when assembling and you will have cycling troubles. IE: the only way to unlock the action will be to fire the round in the chamber. Timing is controled by the hammer position and the mag tube installation distance.
I have one also, and they are a great little 22.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
Go to Top of Page

Winchester Model 12
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  8:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
W
quote:
Originally posted by tapwater

Win 12, I am but a budding Stevens collector. I have a Visible Loader also. It's a pretty odd action, is it not?..Among my Favorites, Little Scouts, Marksmen, and Crackshots, the VL is my favorite Stevens. I'm glad you brought this to attention, as I'm sure we will both get good info here..Do you have pics???

Go to Top of Page

Winchester Model 12
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  8:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any pictures, tapwater. However, there is a picture of a rifle on another auction site (item #5220654) with a description (including condition) that is identical to mine. It was offered for sale at $195, but got no offers. The only difference between these two rifles is that mine has a metal butt plate. I wonder why nobody is responding to my query about this rile's history. I would like to know how old it is, and any other interesting facts pertaining to it.
Does anybody know other sites to search for such information?
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10937 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  11:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellows...

First, I am by no means an expert on Stevens firearms, and I don't have much in the way of reference material that covers them. That said, I looked in my copy of Flayderman's, and this is what is says;

"Visible Loading Repeating Pump Action Rifle No. 70. Made c. 1907 to the early 1930s. Included in the series the Nos. 70-1/2, 71, 71-1/2, 72, and 72-1/2. Caliber 22 rimfire. 20" round barrel with three-quarter length magazine tube. Finish blued barrel with casehardened frmae. The model number differences indicate sight combinations only. The standard No. 70 had open sights. Vernier and other sights will bring small premiums in the finer condition specimens. Values - Very Good $125 Exc. $350." end quote.

Hope this was of interest to someone.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
Go to Top of Page

Contender Man

USA
2169 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  10:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Model 70 and varriations were made between 1907 and 1932. In 1920 Stevens was taken over by Savage but continued as an independent division.

There are Stevens/Savage collectors, but sadly these fine old guns have never become "preferred collectibles". Perhaps because the were for the most par intended to be lower cost, utility grade firearms.

Why didn't the one you referred to sell at $195 ... lack of interest at that time. Re-listed or listed at another time it may have sold at that. The market goes back and forth and it is different by region. With that said I would say that in very good to excellent condition you have a rifle worth $150-200+

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
Go to Top of Page

Winchester Model 12
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info! Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my query (esp. Bert H. and Contender Man). Now if I can just find out when this rifle was made, and maybe what model version it is, I'll be a happy camper.
Go to Top of Page

Contender Man

USA
2169 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  2:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ran an internet search and had no luck finding any collectors groups. Really not that much around. But there are two things you may want to look into.

1.) Book titled: Savage & Stevens Arms: Collectors Edition, price $24.95 from Amazon.com

2.) Web site called www.faqfarm.com where you can post questions.

Lastly, if you live near a large library try their reference section, they may have the above mentioned collectors book, or they may be tied into an inter-library lending system where the book can be ordered in for you.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  2:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
contender, thanks for the book title...info on Stevens is pretty scarce...

Go to Top of Page

Winchester Model 12
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  3:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book by Jay Kimmel ($25) did not get a very good revew (see below). I'll check in the libraries and elsewhere to get more specific info pertaining to my Stevens VL. I know it will take some persistent diging, and will share whatever I can find and the source. If anyone comes up with more sources, please post a note here. Thx.

(Quote) Don't waste your money!, February 10, 2004
Reviewer: mrfurious45833 from www.SavageShooters.com
I ordered this book in hopes of getting a good detailed history of Savage Arms and the models they offered (production figures, dates of manufacture, etc.). This book is nothing more than a compilation of advertisements and excerpts from brochures and magazines with very little actual content, and offers next to nothing for information on models after the mid 50's. While the book does offer a plethera of info on the Model 99 and the Pocket Pistols, all other models get very little coverage.(Unquote)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page