GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Hawes Navy 44 Cal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregK
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  11:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would appreciate any help concerning a weapon and its value. The barrel is engraved on the left side with "Hawes Firearms Co. Los Angeles Calif."
The right side of the barrel is engraved with "44 Cal navy Model . Made in Italy."
The serial number is 26212
I believe this weapon is a black powder weapon of some type. It has a cylinder with 6 holes, but also has some type of a lever or rod attached under the barrel, which I believe is used to pack powder into each cylinder chamber ??

If I seem confused, its because I have never seen such a weapon before, and cannot find any information on HAWES or this type of weapon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Greg

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15834 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  12:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a reproduction Cap and Ball Revolver. It was imported and sold by the Hawes Co. Probably during the 1970's.

These types of replica revolvers have been imported from Italy for many years. Some are better quality then others. My WAG is that yours would probably be worth between $100 and $200, depending on condition.

Here is a link to a good site, that explains the loading procedure for Cap and Ball Revolvers. It also has pictures of different models.

http://www.angelfire.com/home/oldguns/cnb-the_basics.htm

Go to Top of Page

GregK
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  6:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the response and the info. I saw similiar weapons like these by Colt, and they were going for several thousand dollars. Oh well....Easy come..easy go.

Thanks again

Greg
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15834 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  6:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GregK

I appreciate the response and the info. I saw similiar weapons like these by Colt, and they were going for several thousand dollars. Oh well....Easy come..easy go.

Thanks again

Greg

The Colts you saw that were similar in appearance to your Hawes and selling for "thousands of dollars", were originals, dating to the 1850's & 60's. There is a substantial difference in demand/value for a original Colt and a Hawes from the 1970's.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page