GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 25-20 specs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tapwater
Advanced Member

9077 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  6:00:54 PM  Show Profile
....You're thinking 25-20 Win. I'm looking for cartridge specs for 25-20 Stevens, or is it 25-20 single shot? Even my oldest reloading manuals cover only the Win. Is there a website that has specs such as over all length, taper angle, rim diameter, etc.?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.******

"Send lawyers, guns and money"

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15851 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  6:28:58 PM  Show Profile
The basic text on cartridges, "Cartridges of the World" has the dimensions your looking for. There are a number of cartridges with similar dimensions, and hypenated names.

Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1409 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  8:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

The cartridge is usually referred to as the 25-20 Single Shot. This has been an obsolete cartridge but some of the cowboy shooters are bringing it back.

You didn't say if you were trying to reload it or ream a chamber in barrel?

I do not have the specs for the catrdige but you may be able to buy loaded rounds from Quality Cartridge. Here is the link:

http://www.qual-cart.com/

The 25-20 Single Shot is listed at the bottom of the page under "Cowboy Action".

Also I think Bertram Brass is now making 25-20 and it can be obtained from Midway. The brass is at the very bottom of the page and here is a link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brandlisting?brandid=1113

The first place I looked for specs was in Catridges of the World (just like Rufe suggested) but the specs are not in the 10th edition. Somebody out there has them I just don't know where. Maybe someone else will know.

Good Luck,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9077 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  9:02:11 PM  Show Profile
....I had my Stevens 25-20 re-chambered to 25-20 Win., which is easier to find brass for reloading. The reason I ask is, my former boss showed me a factory (looking) round marked 25-20, that was without a doubt, not the Win. It could be the the SS, or maybe a wildcat. I don't have it, but I want to get it and measure it to find out what it is. Pure curiosity, that's all.

Go to Top of Page

Iconoclast
Advanced Member

USA
13106 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  9:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Nominal dimensions, .25-20 Single Shot (a.k.a., Stevens):

Rim: .378
Head (immediately above the rim): .315
Dia. at shoulder: .296
Neck dia (OD): .275
OA C/L: 1.630
Length to shoulder: 1.06
Shoulder length: .229
Neck length: .338
Rim thickness: .060
OAL, loaded: 1.900

I don't like the way my references describe angles, so I'll leave it to you and your ancient trig to calculate those.

There are, to my knowledge, no parent cases from which this may be formed. Bell, or Buffalo Arms, may have brass available. The next to last choice (the last being to turn them down individually from bar stock) would be Bertram manufacture. I've yet to hear any endorsement of their products beyond "it's all which is available" - but many complaints about quality / case life.

HTH,
Ike

This can't be WW III; the french haven't surrendered yet!

So . . . you're a liberal? Did you have a head injury or were you just born brain dead?

God, guts and guns made America great . . . clearly liberals had no hand in the process.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8983 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:22:12 PM  Show Profile
tapwater,

Well, this is the best I can do on short notice. J.J. Donnelly didn't get the shoulder right but it was closer that I usually expect from his measurements. There is also a discrepency in the OAL but that's got to be due to geometry. It's only 0.003" so it isn't worth getting all lathered up about.

OOPS, I forgot the rim diameter of 0.378" but you can add that in.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9077 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:45:47 PM  Show Profile
....Perfect, guys.....Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10924 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:05:48 AM  Show Profile
John,

I am very familar with this cartridge (I own an original Winchester Model 1885 low-wall chambered for it), and I have a considerable amount of original reloading data for it. A good friend of mine is an absolute nut about the 25-20 S.S. cartridge (and it is not an orignal Stevens cartridge... they simply adopted it just like Winchester did). If others are interested, I will post it here, otherwise, PM me.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

joel_black

USA
681 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Bert,
If Stevens didn't design the 25/20 SS, who did?
Go to Top of Page

Iconoclast
Advanced Member

USA
13106 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  11:08:39 AM  Show Profile
joel - I don't believe anyone knows "for sure" . . . all my references simply state the originator was a "private party" with the chambering adopted by WRA, Stevens and others.

This can't be WW III; the french haven't surrendered yet!

So . . . you're a liberal? Did you have a head injury or were you just born brain dead?

God, guts and guns made America great . . . clearly liberals had no hand in the process.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10924 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  11:43:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by joel_black

Bert,
If Stevens didn't design the 25/20 SS, who did?

Joel,

Winchester adopted the 25-20 Single Shot cartridge several years before Stevens began chambering it in their single rifles. The following is a short excerpt out of the rough draft copy of my reference book on the Model 1885;

"In his book “Cartridges Of The World”, Frank Barnes states that this cartridge was designed by J. Francis Rabbeth (who was a gun writer at the turn of the century, and who wrote under the pen name J. Francis). The 25-20 S.S. cartridge first appeared in about 1882, and it is one of the first known center fire 25-caliber wildcats. Winchester adopted the 25-20 S.S. in early 1886, and because it was not a proprietary cartridge, they applied own their “W.C.F.” label to it. The 25-20 S.S. was chambered in both the high-wall and low-wall single shot frames, but it is much more predominant in the low-wall. The standard barrel length was always 28-inches regardless which frame size was used." end quote

GunBroker.com Moderator

Edited by - Bert H. on 09/19/2006 11:45:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10924 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  11:44:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Iconoclast

joel - I don't believe anyone knows "for sure" . . .

Not true my friend

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page