GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 President Trump to End Food Stamps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24522 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gives dem po'folk commodity cheese and some beans and rice, a sack 'o flour ands two guinea hens. Dem folks bees fine.

The previous was being facetious, but would it be so bad to teach young welfare queens how to manage and cook instead of Chicken McNuggets and corn dogs? I don't think so.

The CCC program started by FDR fed a lot of men wholesome food during the depression to have a fit Army by 1941. By chance or plan, I cannot say. From Wiki: The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dollar-stores-hammered-trump-proposal-200545163.html

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

fordsix
Advanced Member

8192 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jus what we;s need to fix the infrastructer
Go to Top of Page

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
10915 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im divided on food stamps. There are people who really need the food especially older people.
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33074 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but without any adequate controls untold millions of dollars are wasted by those buying luxury eats & junk food instead of staples....whatever the program is called...stood behind a messican woman sorting thru a handful of cards to see who she would be that day at our small local Dillons....and she drove off in an Escalade caddy
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55313 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of those folks will SNAP alright !!!
Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
14905 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree they are needed but are so abused .
welfare is even 100X worse its a run away train going down hill and no brakes . 3rd generation of the same families

at least food stamps "in theory" buy food which is grown , processed and shipped and sold in the USA so in a sense it goes back into the pockets of countless people
abused it always has been as a kid I remember the neighbors selling off food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar ( to buy cigs booze and the needful things ) while there kids went with out .
Go to Top of Page

US Military Guy

USA
2377 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dav1965

Im divided on food stamps. There are people who really need the food especially older people.

From the article -

"It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a food-aid package that would include items such as shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, cereal and meat."

It looks to me like the plan is to actually give them "food" instead of "money" to buy food. I don't see anyone starving - although they might not like what is in the package.
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55313 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that will be the old govt. cheese and pt butter giveaway..held at the local fire dept. When they pull up in the Caddys and new exploders no food ...
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24522 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by US Military Guy

quote:

From the article -

"It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a food-aid package that would include items such as shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, cereal and meat."

It looks to me like the plan is to actually give them "food" instead of "money" to buy food. I don't see anyone starving - although they might not like what is in the package.

Anyone who would turn their nose up at food has never been hungry.
Picky eaters don't eat. Watch what happens at the next meal.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

Go to Top of Page

mnrivrat48

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  10:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The CCC program started by FDR fed a lot of men wholesome food during the depression to have a fit Army by 1941. By chance or plan, I cannot say. From Wiki: The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men.

I think a very good program that we could benefit from today for all who are drawing funds without working.

My father was in the CCC's in the 1930's and spent his time on the west coast driving truck to haul others into the forest land that were building roads. The Park service was greatly benefited by CCC workers through out the nation. Public works projects helped many facets of America's well being from Art to building roads.

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORD ORDER - RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - YOU WILL ASSIMILATE
Go to Top of Page

asphalt cowboy
Advanced Member

7372 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  10:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by US Military Guy

quote:

From the article -

When I first go out of the army I had a part time job at the marina and was living in a $75 a month sleeping room with shared kitchen and bathroom.
Third Thursday of every month they distributed surplus commodities at the local national guard armory. You'd be surprised at what was in those bags. If a single person knew how to use it properly you could easily feed yourself for a week and a half two weeks with just a few things purchased at the store.

I might curse because roses have thorns, or I might rejoice because thorns have roses.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15764 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  10:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep an eye out for those little door decals that say EBT. Yeah, that's food stamps. Stop in 7-11 or your local stop-n-rob. Get yer coffee, doughnuts, pizza, fried chicken- and put it on your EBT card. No really- its fine. Then you can stop at the post office and get stamps. Yeah, stamps. Yes, you can use your EBT card for postage.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

nemesisenforcer
Advanced Member

10658 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL.

No chance.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all full up here.

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H L Mencken

"Here's a toast to virgins and lesbians: THANKS FOR NOTHIN!!!!!"

"I don't know which disgusts me more: your cowardice or your stupidity."

"HISTORY, CULTURE, TRADITION. THESE ARE NOT CONCEPTS; THEY ARE SOUVENIRS I KEEP IN MY DEN AS PAPERWEIGHTS!!!"

". . . greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."
Gordon Gekko

START STOCKPILING AMMUNITION AND DONG BAGS.

Go to Top of Page

mag00
Advanced Member

2733 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So now work camps are a good thing? What I have been saying all along, Kim Jong-un got some stuff right.

If anything can go right, it will go right and at the best possible time.
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
15220 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  05:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What???? Trump is trying to take away my two for one racket buying $2 worth of food stamps for $1 cash and then reselling them $2 for a $1.50 for $2.00??????? and how will I ever afford to buy a new Lamborghini to replace my old one when he takes away my 2 for ones racket????????

That said, somebody needs food that they can't afford to buy it, and they demonstrate every time they pick up a food basket they tried their best to make it on their own, I say they're welcome to it.... But if they can't demonstrate that they need it, and tried everything that they could so that they wouldn't need it, why should I spend $2 in taxes to pay for the food stamps they get, so that they can get $1 for cash to spend on cigarettes, drugs or alcohol in trade for $2.00 in food stamps...

I have absolutely no problem with people that can't work that are on food stamps, or have demonstrated that they have actually looked for work by proof of looking for work and still can't find it drawing food stamps. What I can't stand is people that are sucking on the governments teets!!!!! Which by the way are my teets because I'm paying for it along with every other person that is working their guts out and paying taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - remingtonoaks on 02/13/2018 05:28:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
3547 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  05:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always felt that the "deserving" should get what they deserve.

and this applies to a lot more than food stamps!
Go to Top of Page

TooBig
Advanced Member

USA
25210 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  05:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Food Stamp program is so loaded with fraud something has to be done and yes many people truly need the help but somehow it needs to change

NO COUNTRY CAN SURVIVE OPEN BORDERS AND WELFARE XXXXXXXXX It's time for the Democraps use their brain and the Republicans to grow a Pair. Tell Congress it's time to Read the Bills First
Go to Top of Page

Sperry
Advanced Member

5260 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  06:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this area it is very common to see well-dressed _____ folks in the supermarket loading up a cart wth higher-end beverages and paying with SNAP. Beverages for resale in their bodegas, I'd bet you.

Yesterday a variation, an _____ gal with an older ______. The sodas were paid by the old lady but the _____ was pushing the cart.

And of course, the drunk _____ fumbling in a huge purse for her "cousin's" cards and ID ...

Lots and lots of fraud.

American Toolbox
Go to Top of Page

mnrivrat48

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  06:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So now work camps are a good thing? What I have been saying all along, Kim Jong-un got some stuff right.

I think Kim doesn't pay his work camp quests, or ask them if they want to join. That may make a difference. CCC was not mandatory, it was a way for people to make some money at a time when jobs were near impossible to find. They got fed, housed, and a percentage of their pay got sent home to help support their family.

Nothing wrong in todays world with making healthy people do some public works for the money they receive now for doing nothing - IMO.

By the way, when we are all complaining about the welfare system, the corporations, and farmers, and illegals, and other countries, are getting billions of dollars from us, and they aren't working for it either.

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORD ORDER - RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - YOU WILL ASSIMILATE
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
6161 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  07:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The current system needs to be changed to eliminate corruption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

chiefr
Advanced Member

USA
8543 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  07:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More BS lying fake news by the DEMOCRATS, for the purpose of inciting hate as well as class warfare.

First, this was never a proposal, just an idea. Food will be 100% American and placed in box form and distributed by the needy by states.
Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think Trump is doing spectacular. Especially for a president that hasn't received any help from the Democrats, not only ZERO help but harassment of his family.

Like the wife of his son receiving a mysterious white powder in the mail and needing a hospital visit to find out it was OK.

Overseas no one starves except maybe "druggies" which is self inflicted. The rural area where I live has a "old / poor" folks lunch served daily and costs maybe 25 cents. No money for lunch there's plenty of opportunity to ask someone for 25 cents to sweep their sidewalk.

The majority of people drive 100 to 125cc motorbikes. There's always someone outside the grocery store or bank or ___ with a pile of flattened cardboard boxes to put over the seats of the bikes or windshield of a car while the owners are away,, . Pay maybe 5 or 10 cents but it's never demanded. It's work and can buy food.

Go to Top of Page

chollagardens
Advanced Member

USA
4284 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before food stamps commodities were sold at the back door of restaurants.
Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  09:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chollagardens

Before food stamps commodities were sold at the back door of restaurants.

Lots of "old" produce, day old bread etc. was given away at the back door of supermarkets in smaller towns for sure, probably cities.

Local bakery always stocked with day old bread, rolls, pastries, even twinkies !!!

In the last 60 years you had to be "lazy" to starve, or even to go hungry in the U.S.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
30198 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO . only those who are physically unable to work should get food or any welfare without working.

Very few are unable to contribute some work, even if sweeping up leaves in a park, picking trash off the streets, etc.

The amount of benefits would be equal to the time working.

The free ride has turned into a generational lifestyle as it is today.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968

Edited by - us55840 on 02/13/2018 2:45:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

12266 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen anyone skinny using SNAP, all were made when meat was cheap

Most park in handicap parking spots and drive the little electric carts through the store.

I would like to see these SNAP/EBT cards taken away and the program done away with.

I like the idea of a weekly box of food they could receive with staples. I would add that a member of each household receiving this aid must send one member of that house hold to do community service for 10 hrs each month. Maybe supplement with some coupons for discount on other goods.

The USGOV subsidies many farmers and their products so it would not be that hard to set up. The distribution would be the hardest part.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24522 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dopers and Liberals are gnashing teeth and pulling hair on Yahoo and Facebook.
So that means it's a good plan.

Sackett

Go to Top of Page

204targetman
Advanced Member

USA
3200 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
around here most of the food stamps are used to buy soft drinks. those are then taken to mostly indian run stores and resold for about half what they cost to begin with. I would estimate that at least 70 percent of the food stamps in this area are not used for the intended purpose. something has to be done. its way out of hand.
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55313 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set up solely distribution centers. They won't be trading or selling the ebt cards when ID is required to pick up the food.
Go to Top of Page

204targetman
Advanced Member

USA
3200 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by select-fire

Set up solely distribution centers. They won't be trading or selling the ebt cards when ID is required to pick up the food.

I think only certain types of foods should be allowed to be purchased with food stamps. the stuff you have to go home and cook. get so tired of seeing folks with shopping carts full of candy and potato chips. its such a joke around here. not sure if its that way around the country. but around here, you routinely pass by save a lot and see someone bringing out two or three shopping carts full of soft drinks. and the next stop. is a store where the owner speaks broken English.
Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

5907 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fordsix

jus what we;s need to fix the infrastructer

My exact thought. Much of this countries infrastructure was built by the CCC. That same infrastructure is in drastic need of repair. What a better way to fix it.

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

5907 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With electronic checkouts it is now easy to tag what could and could not be purchased or establish limits. We did it with the WIC program back in the late 80s.

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

204targetman
Advanced Member

USA
3200 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dakotashooter2

With electronic checkouts it is now easy to tag what could and could not be purchased or establish limits. We did it with the WIC program back in the late 80s.

WIC program full of coruption also. i am in a country store about once a week that is fully stocked with items that are purchased from wic recipients.
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55313 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  5:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use em to build the wall. Then feed them on the govt program. That might get some of ebt
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15487 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  8:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's up to each state to decide what type of item is covered by food stamps. Maybe it's time to have the federal government decide, & limit it to the basics.

When I worked for the welfare department, I shopped at the same store that many of my clients did. Most of them had no idea how to prepare a low cost, nutritious meal; they bought mostly junk food, & frozen dinners. We had a couple of women whose job was "homemaker"; they went to the clients home, & taught them how to clean, how to shop for food, & how to prepare good meals. Of course, there weren't nearly enough of them to meet our needs.

My clients picked up free Dept of Agriculture surplus at a warehouse; it included cheese, butter, powdered milk, maybe a couple of other things. Except for the butter (which I had never tasted until I joined the Army), most of the stuff was difficult to use in cooking.

I suggested that we start a "dining hall" in the projects, & train the clients how to prepare food & other related jobs; no one at the welfare dept was interested in that.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

204targetman
Advanced Member

USA
3200 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  9:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nmyers

It's up to each state to decide what type of item is covered by food stamps. Maybe it's time to have the federal government decide, & limit it to the basics.

When I worked for the welfare department, I shopped at the same store that many of my clients did. Most of them had no idea how to prepare a low cost, nutritious meal; they bought mostly junk food, & frozen dinners. We had a couple of women whose job was "homemaker"; they went to the clients home, & taught them how to clean, how to shop for food, & how to prepare good meals. Of course, there weren't nearly enough of them to meet our needs.

My clients picked up free Dept of Agriculture surplus at a warehouse; it included cheese, butter, powdered milk, maybe a couple of other things. Except for the butter (which I had never tasted until I joined the Army), most of the stuff was difficult to use in cooking.

I suggested that we start a "dining hall" in the projects, & train the clients how to prepare food & other related jobs; no one at the welfare dept was interested in that.

Neal

my wife has suggested we start a program at our church to teach young people how to cook and clean. basically teach them life skills that they just don't get at home anymore. simple stuff like how to check their oil and tire pressure so when they get a car they will know basic stuff. its kinda sad. but kids just don't get any of this anymore.
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
36376 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  06:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

LOL.

No chance.

exactly...that'll never happen.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page