GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 Need some help ,,,,,,,UPDATE # 6,,,,Success !!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  7:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buddy goes to an estate sale and buys a rifle ,,,,,,he knows nothing about what he bought.

The rifle is marked on the receiver;

Fabrica National De Armas (above the crest)

Mexico.D.F. (below the crest)

The barrel is marked on left side 6mm IMP

Bottom of barrel is marked ,,,,,,,, Harry McGowen SM 7 72 4400-2

I presume the IMP would be for the Ackley Improved. And research shows you can 'fire form' the 6mm Rem. to the Ackley Improved.

However, the bolt will not close on a 6mm Rem. ,,,,,,,,would the 6mm Rem. bullet be trying to force itself into the lands/grooves, preventing bolt closure???? If so, can the bullet be set back to achieve closure ??? Or could a different 'shoulder' angle be the problem ???

Your expertise is appreciated,,,,,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 02/23/2018 5:57:24 PM

jkbt1

172 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  9:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a chamber cast is in order here. That is the only way to know for sure what you have.
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2018 :  10:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mexican Small Ring Mauser? 6mm or 244 Rem, so check your twist rate. Chamber cast for sure is the way to tell, lots of improved variations out there. Could just be a really tight chamber - make sure the barrel and action are clean.

added worth asking them
http://mcgowenbarrel.com/contact/

SM small/special mauser? 7/72 July 1972 WAG 4400 steel #2 contour

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/739334476

added Interesting. Sounds like a worn reamer reground for use to me, likely the rifle had a complete set of dies just for it made at the same time. Still holding out for the chamber cast - likely the best information will come from that.

Edited by - charliemeyer007 on 01/25/2018 10:27:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9998 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forgemonkey,

It's the usual practice to chamber an Ackley .004" short in order to get a crush fit when fire-forming. Using the standard .244 Remington dimensions this would mean a base to neck dimension of 1.8780". You'll notice that their reloading manual, the Sierra drawing shows 1.8720", a full .010" shorter than the parent case. Many think that .004" short is not enough and go for more when cutting a new chamber.

Wildcats do not have established, sanctioned SAAMI dimensions so reamer makers, gunsmiths and many kitchen table amateurs have improvised their own set of dimensions. This may be the situation you're encountering.

The other potential which I have seen before is that the cartridge is not captured by the extractor against the bolt face. The cartridge is simply being pushed into the chamber by the front of the extractor, making the headspace incorrect. When feeding from the magazine, the cartridge rim should slip under the extractor claw and sit against the bolt face.

I would cast the chamber to get the best rendition of the chamber size and shape. As unlikely as it may be, Harry may have created another 'Improved' 6mm.

Harry has been out of business for quite a few years now. The business was purchased by another group and moved to its current location. It's doubtful that they will have all of Harry's records to comb through, though.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

navc130

547 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  1:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try smoking or magic marker on a factory cartridge to see where it is hitting. Then you can ascertain the problem and corrective action. Added: After trimming you could fire form a case to see what you have.
A chamber cast will not identify the problem that you discovered. A very intelligent procedure.
Added: You don't need the candle wax to hold the cornmeal in, stuffed paper will do. However, if you are transporting them for any distance, it is a good idea, makes a good seal.
Added: Fire form: 10 - 15 gr. Red Dot, fill case with Crème-O-Wheat.
12 - 15 gr. Unique, fill case with Cornmeal.
Your graphics are really good.

Edited by - navc130 on 01/29/2018 8:10:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  3:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Gentlemen,,,,,,,,

I'll see what the owner wants to do,,,,,,he doesn't reload so he might get rid of the gun.
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

USA
8673 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  11:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
",he doesn't reload so he might get rid of the gun.'............gee, buddy sorry you bought sutch a 'turkey'...I'll give you $50 for it
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  9:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE #1,,,,,,,

While waiting on an order for Cerrosafe I did the following;

Pulled the bullet and powder out of a 6mm Rem. and dipped the case in Dykem Blue.
Each of the below (#2-4) trim lengths showed 'no' marks on the case/shoulder while chambering. However, the very end of the case did show brass color, so I experimented with the below.

1. The case measured,,,,,,,,2.223"
2. 1st trimming = ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.219",,,,no bolt closure
3. 2nd trimming = ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.211",,,,no bolt closure
4. 3rd trimming = ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.202",,,,no bolt closure
5. 4th trimming = ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.186",,,, ******bolt closes ******my patience was waning ,,,,,,,This equals .037" less than book max. length.

I will trim back another case to 2.202" and trim in .001" increments to find the maximum case length for chambering.

YOUR THOUGHTS ,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 01/25/2018 9:46:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  11:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE #2 & 3

Still waiting on Cerrosafe,,,,,,but the below shows the difference between factory ammo(pulled bullet/powder) and what will chamber after trimming,,,

Will try to 'fire form' the case using the COW cornmeal method and compare to chamber cast if needed,,,,

Ready for 'fire forming' ,,,,,,,,,starting powder charge = 6gr. W-231 ,,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 01/27/2018 2:02:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4131 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  2:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beat me to it.
I was fixing to post that a Brave Ballistician would insert a fireform load in trimmed brass and apply a modest force to the trigger.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  2:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk Carse

Beat me to it.
I was fixing to post that a Brave Ballistician would insert a fireform load in trimmed brass and apply a modest force to the trigger.

You forgot the part 'bout a long string and hiding behind a 'big' tree ,,,,,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9998 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  07:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

And don't forget...

Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  08:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  7:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE # 4 ,,,,,

Fire form 6mm Rem. to 6mm Rem. AI,,,,,,Original 6mm Rem. case on left,,,,,

Comments re the measurements welcome.

PITA to do fire forming without 'dies' ,,,,,,,

Next step will be to determine the 'jump' to the lands/grooves,,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 01/29/2018 7:17:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  8:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks improved to me, sharper shoulder, less body taper.

https://4drentals.com/product/244-remington-ackley-2/
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  8:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charliemeyer007

Looks improved to me, sharper shoulder, less body taper.

https://4drentals.com/product/244-remington-ackley-2/

Charlie,,,,don't have my manuals with me but the illustration shows 30° shoulder,,,,,,,,,IIRC shouldn't it be 40° ???
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  8:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have my books here either. I thought PO's normal was 40 but I know that there were others in the book as version 1, version 2...
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  9:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't have my books here either. I thought PO's normal was 40 but I know that there were others in the book as version 1, version 2...

Charlie,,,,,,here's C&P from the net,,,,,,,

Case-Forming the 6mm Rem Ackley
In the past I've used Winchester 6mm Rem brass. I have found Winchester 6mm Rem brass to be more consistent than the Remington-headstamp brass. I have a .274" no-turn neck, so with Winchester brass I could just load and shoot--the case forms fine with no special tweaking. Recently, however, I've switched to Norma 7x57 brass. This takes more work to form, but I think I get more consistent brass in the end--and it lasts a bit longer. Making the brass is a three-stage process. First I run the cases through a 6.5-284 die to just touch the neck and bring the neck diameter down. Next I run the brass through a 6mm Rem Ackley Improved die. But with the Norma 7x57 brass, that leaves the necks a little thick for my .274" chamber. So then I'll neck-turn, taking about .003" off the neck-diameter, ending up at about .271". I'm real happy with the Norma brass so far. The primer pockets seem to hold longer than the Winchester and the accuracy may be a bit better. Once Ackleyized, with the 40-degree shoulder, the cases are very stable. I never have to trim them to length--the cases just don't stretch. I'll get 10-15 loads over the life of the case, during which I may have to bump the shoulders two or three times. Normally I can shoot one set of cases all summer."
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9998 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  9:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally the 40 degree shoulder has been synonymous with the Ackley Improved versions of cartridges.

In this instance, I believe that you are looking at the .244 Mashburn Improved with a 30 degree shoulder. I could be wrong, of course...

Best.

ADDED:

Here is a photograph of the Mashburn cartridge:

I'm fighting the flu/cold right now while still trying to unpack, so the possibility of finding specific files is small. I'll keep it on a list for reference in the near future though.

Best.

Edited by - nononsense on 01/30/2018 08:49:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  10:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nononsense

Normally the 40 degree shoulder has been synonymous with the Ackley Improved versions of cartridges.

In this instance, I believe that you are looking at the .244 Mashburn Improved with a 30 degree shoulder. I could be wrong, of course...

Best.

Would you have the 'spec' drawings for the Masburn, I'm having no luck finding them on the 'net' ,,,,,,,,

Please educate me re your conclusion toward the Mashburn Improved,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 01/30/2018 12:00:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
10173 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  10:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by forgemonkey

quote:
Originally posted by nononsense

Best.

Would you have the 'spec' drawings for the Masburn, I'm having no luck finding them on the 'net' ,,,,,,,,

Please educate me re your conclusion toward the Mashburn Imoroved,,,,,

I took the google dog for a walk on the web but couldn't find a drawing anywhere. I did find these measurements for the .244 Mashburn on another forum. I have no clue as to whether they're accurate or not.
"case length-2.24,
shoulder dia -.434
length to shoulder-1.735 ,
neck length.370 ,
shoulder angle 32.94/side,
neck dia-.259."
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  11:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

^^^^^^^^^Steve, thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,more comparison 'fodder' ,,,,,,^^^^^^^^

I will do a chamber cast,,,,,,,that might reveal the answer to this puzzle.

Go to Top of Page

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
10173 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  06:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found a pic!
http://www.municion.org/24/244RemMashburn.htm
It's in metric, so will need a bit of converting.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

Found a pic!
http://www.municion.org/24/244RemMashburn.htm
It's in metric, so will need a bit of converting.

Ah ha,,,,,,,,,the mystery deepens,,,,,,
Thanks, Steve ,,,,,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 01/30/2018 07:34:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think by case length it was cut with a re-ground reamer, or it could be a custom design. Hopefully everything is square and concentric and you can just neck size.

Be interesting in seeing how good it shoots.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  08:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still think by case length it was cut with a re-ground reamer, or it could be a custom design. Hopefully everything is square and concentric and you can just neck size.

The problem; the owner, friend, is reluctant to spend the money on finding the answers but my curiosity won't let it go,,,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

7484 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  09:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The problem; the owner, friend, is reluctant to spend the money on finding the answers but my curiosity won't let it go,,,,,,,,

you could become the new owner...
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand. I hate to see a good firearm go to waste. I have in the past fixed a lot of gramps or great gramps guns for way less than what it should have cost for people that valued the family treasure.

My first oddball was a nice mannlicher stocked Mauser in 8mm-06. I never has proper dies for it. Later a 300 Gibbs, again no proper dies. Both rifles shot as good as I could hold them.
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4131 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  2:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be a .240 Paige Souper Pooper. (Yes, that is how he spelled it.)

The Paige Pooper was a 6mm x .308 predating the .243, the Souper Pooper was based on the .257 but with steeper shoulder than .244.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  5:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE #5 ,,,,,,,,,

The below shows the chamber cast of the barrel marked 6mm IMP. (Ackley Improved ????)

The one 'measurement' that is somewhat radical is the case length,,,2.233" - 2.186"(trimmed to allow chambering)  equals .047" shorter case length.

I'm going to trim 6mm Rem. brass to 2.186" and set the bullet into the lands for a crush fit and fire form some cases to the chamber and then load for the Ackley Improved.

Your expertise and comments welcome,,,,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 02/08/2018 6:50:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  07:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it will respond well to neck sizing only I'd make up 200 new cases a little shorter than max length for it and enjoy shooting it.

I wouldn't try to fix the chamber length unless the barrel could be set back a thread (or 2) and you had the reamer in hand to make sure it could fix everything first. Even then things can still go wrong just enough to matter. Seems like a lot of work rather than just treating it as a wildcat.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  07:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it will respond well to neck sizing only I'd make up 200 new cases a little shorter than max length for it and enjoy shooting it.

I wouldn't try to fix the chamber length unless the barrel could be set back a thread (or 2) and you had the reamer in hand to make sure it could fix everything first. Even then things can still go wrong just enough to matter. Seems like a lot of work rather than just treating it as a wildcat.

Yeah, Charlie,,,,,,,,,,I just purchased 6mm Rem. dies on GB. When received I will trim some 6mm Rem. brass, load and fire form and the owner can buy 6mm Ackley Improved for me to load, 'if' he decides to keep the rifle,,,,,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5533 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  12:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it almost sounds like he did an improved 6mm chamber off the 6.5x55 case. do you have the bottom of the case measurements?

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  08:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandwarrior

it almost sounds like he did an improved 6mm chamber off the 6.5x55 case. do you have the bottom of the case measurements?

Todd,,,,,not sure of your question. Please elaborate.
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5533 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  08:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The length of the case is closer to a 6.5x55. The reason for using that case is you can get Lapua brass for it. With a standard 6mm you cannot.

So, the question is; is the lower portion of the chamber cast closer to .480" or, .473"?

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  09:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The length of the case is closer to a 6.5x55. The reason for using that case is you can get Lapua brass for it. With a standard 6mm you cannot.

So, the question is; is the lower portion of the chamber cast closer to .480" or, .473"?

Gotcha,,,,,,,,, it's .4715" ,,,,,,,,,discounting any Cerrosafe shrink ,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 02/12/2018 09:13:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5533 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  11:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forge,

That would sure make it sound like they wanted it built off a standard 6mm case then. Like you I'm confused a bit as to why it is so short. But, if it's workable...work it Probably be a lot of fun in any case.

Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  07:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forge,

That would sure make it sound like they wanted it built off a standard 6mm case then. Like you I'm confused a bit as to why it is so short. But, if it's workable...work it Probably be a lot of fun in any case.

And fire forming makes the case even shorter, < 2.186"(for chambering) to 2.171" after the case is blown out,,,,,,,,,bigger case body = shorter OAL ,,,,,,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  02:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I wonder if the case would shrink so much with a cast bullet fire forming load. I like a bullet in the front to center the case. Plus I think there is more pressure/longer even with a cast bullet load to push out the case wall, than the corn meal method.

My test for a good chamber is to drop the case back in and see if it will spin with a pick. I don't keep guns that can't the test.

I still think it was a re-ground reamer - those old guys never threw anything away. I think the rifle was meant to be loaded for, thus they never worried it was a little short on case length. Back in the 70's there was darn little in premium factory ammo and almost certainly reloads were way more accurate.

Depends on the dies but I'd bet you could load for that rifle with the dies you have now.

Edited by - charliemeyer007 on 02/14/2018 03:01:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  06:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. I wonder if the case would shrink so much with a cast bullet fire forming load. I like a bullet in the front to center the case. Plus I think there is more pressure/longer even with a cast bullet load to push out the case wall, than the corn meal method.

My test for a good chamber is to drop the case back in and see if it will spin with a pick. I don't keep guns that can't the test.

I still think it was a re-ground reamer - those old guys never threw anything away. I think the rifle was meant to be loaded for, thus they never worried it was a little short on case length. Back in the 70's there was darn little in premium factory ammo and almost certainly reloads were way more accurate.

Depends on the dies but I'd bet you could load for that rifle with the dies you have now.

Charlie, just bought 6mm Rem. dies on GB and will load 'trimmed' cases for fire forming and then the owner will have to buy the AI dies,,,,,,,,I'll let you know the outcome,,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  3:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

UPDATE 5 1/2 ,,,,,,,,

Took a little time off from wrenching on pistols to determine test 'specs' for firing the short chambered 6mm Rem. Ackley Improved barrel.

The owner relented and will purchase the 6mm Rem. Ackley Improved dies,,,,,,,,

Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  7:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good. Reminds me of the breach seater I designed/built for my 45-350 Rem Mag Ackley to place 540 gr bullets in the bore so I could fill the case with DuPont 4Fg and card wad. Open class at the first local black powder iron chicken shoot. After the first 5 rounds at which time the discovery of resulting in holes in their AR plate targets disqualified me.

The good news they loaned me a 50-70 Trapdoor rifle to finish the match. Watching the rams tip slowly over wasn't near as fun as seeing the chickens tumble down range like they were hit with a cannon.

How much and who made the new dies?

Edited by - charliemeyer007 on 02/18/2018 7:14:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  8:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks good. Reminds me of the breach seater I designed/built for my 45-350 Rem Mag Ackley to place 540 gr bullets in the bore so I could fill the case with DuPont 4Fg and card wad. Open class at the first local black powder iron chicken shoot. After the first 5 rounds at which time the discovery of resulting in holes in their AR plate targets disqualified me.

The good news they loaned me a 50-70 Trapdoor rifle to finish the match. Watching the rams tip slowly over wasn't near as fun as seeing the chickens tumble down range like they were hit with a cannon.

How much and who made the new dies?

Charlie,,,,,,,Redding makes 6mm Rem. AI dies, the owner will order them. I will fire form 6mm Rem. (trimmed for chamber fit) with regular 6mm dies and then reload the fired brass with the AI dies,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 02/18/2018 8:29:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  12:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

UPDATE 5 3/4 ,,,,,,

Finally received the 6mm Rem. dies and loaded 5 rounds for test firing,,,,,will have to wait till it quits snowing,,,,,

Go to Top of Page

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
10173 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  11:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A real man would go shoot in the snow...
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  06:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

A real man would go shoot in the snow...

,,,,,,,,'taint my gun ,,,,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  5:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update #6 ,,,,,Success,,,,

Loaded several 6mm Rem. rounds(trimmed for chamber fit) and test fired in 6mm IMP McGowan Barrel.

Bullets were a couple of thousandths into the lands for a crush fit. Fired brass looks good, primer was flush with rear of case, no bright 'ring' near base indicating brass stretch, etc.

I'll put the scope on and start working up loads for accuracy,,,,,,,might be a 'shooter' ,,,,,,,

Thanks to each and everyone of you,,,,,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 02/23/2018 6:09:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  11:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a fun story, and well documented with outstanding pic's. thanks - hope it shoot good.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18632 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  1:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's been a fun story, and well documented with outstanding pic's. thanks - hope it shoot good.

Thanks, Charlie,,,,,,,,the rifle came with an older Redfield (tv screen style) scope that appears to be in good condition,,,,,,,,the owner wants to try it to see if it works for him,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page