GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 308 pmj headstamp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joshmb1982
Advanced Member

USA
5800 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  9:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im looking at brass for reloading on the auction side and ive come across this headstamp a few times with claims its as good or better then LC brass. any truth to this?

Alan Rushing
Advanced Member

9074 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  12:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have no specific info on PMJ headstamps. If it is PMC, "Precision Made Cartridges", by the Eldorado Cartridge Corporation. They had been located in southern Nevada and their mother company, Poongsan Metals Corp. is of South Korea.

I've never had any problems and they were very responsive and helpful any time I had any questions or comments.

I believe that PMJ and PMC are both components of Poongsan Metals Company. PMC "Premium Made Cartridges".

Edited by - Alan Rushing on 01/30/2012 1:24:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpermd
Advanced Member

5870 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  12:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PMJ is South Korean.

CP
Go to Top of Page

ammo guy

729 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  09:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PMJ is a military head stamp as noted from So. Korea. It is used by the US military for training.
Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  11:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

The brass is from Poongsan Metal Corp, S. Korea. Poongsan's offices are in Seoul, and their current U.S. Sales office is in Houston, Texas.

Because US arsenals could not keep up with demand for ammunition in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Dept. of Defense (DoD) outsourced ammunition manufacturing for three Nato calibers - 5.56, 7.62, and 50 caliber. Poongsan Metal Corp. was awarded one of the contracts. Others were given to Spain and maybe Brazil. See 50 caliber headstamp below.

The PM part of the headstamp is self explanatory but the "J" in the headstamp still seems to be a mystery. It may designate an arsenal in South Korea that isn't identified or designates a code specified for export or was required by DoD to identify their ammunition. In any case the jury is still out on the meaning of "J" in the headstamp.

I have run accuracy comparison tests with 30 caliber brass comparing PS (dated in the mid-70s) headstamped brass (Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company Ltd., Seoul, Republic of Korea (probably at the Angang Ammunition Plant - same as PMC) to Remington brass. The accuracy results were so obvious no measurements with calipers were needed to decide which brass gave the most accurate fire. The PS brass was clearly better than the Remington brass and I will not use Remington brass to this day.

If the PMJ brass is made to the same standards, I wouldn't question it. Of course, if accuracy and durability is really an issue buy Nosler brass instead.

PMJ cartridges are apparently in use in the Middle East with the military as well. I have read of US soldiers removing 50 caliber cartridges from linked belts to use in their Barrett rifles because it is more accurate than the LC. Can't say this is true, but have read this.

Regards,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix

Edited by - heavyiron on 12/24/2009 11:36:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page