GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Teflon Lube?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tombiasi

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile
I have been using "Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant" on my guns for quite some time with good results.
At the range a fellow shooter saw it in my range box and commented that I shouldn't use Teflon on guns. When I asked why he said he couldn't remember. Is this BS or is there any truth to this?

Tom

TB

JustC

15000 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  2:49:20 PM  Show Profile
no teflon in the barrel IIRC. Something to do with what takes place under pressure and/or plasma exposure.

applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

tombiasi

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  3:18:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tombiasi

I have been using "Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant" on my guns for quite some time with good results.
At the range a fellow shooter saw it in my range box and commented that I shouldn't use Teflon on guns. When I asked why he said he couldn't remember. Is this BS or is there any truth to this?

Tom

I don't use it in the barrel, just on the moving, steel on steel.
The manufacturer's rep said it's perfect for steel on steel, low velocity applications where you need an excellent lube but would not like to attract dirt.
He refused to specifically say it was good on gun parts.
I use it on bike cables and the rep would agree with that.

Tom

TB
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37320 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  5:52:59 PM  Show Profile
At the recommendation of a smith I think highly of, (JBW1776) I have been using Otis dry lube, and like it very well. Weapon shield seems to be even better and will be my next.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/retail-product-weapon-shield.html

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

wpage
Advanced Member

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  6:07:35 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like BS.

"You shall receive power"
Acts 1:8
"My word does not return void, it will accomplish what I wanted"
Isiah 55:11
Go to Top of Page

dandak1

420 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  7:14:58 PM  Show Profile
I beleive Tetralube gun oil and grease is a teflon product specifically on the market for guns. I use the stuff and love it, but just now checking the bottles and tubes I cannot find the word teflon or PTFE (the real name of teflon....the T in PTFE stands for Tetra)so I am not sure. I do know I had a spray can of teflon lube marketed as such and used it on my guns exterior for years w/o ill effect.

Edited by - dandak1 on 04/04/2010 7:16:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

sharkman69

794 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  9:18:08 PM  Show Profile
I use a Teflon based grease called Super Lube that comes in a gray tube for the slide rails on my automatic pistols, as well as any moving parts. It works great, although I've never used it down the barrel of anything.
Go to Top of Page

1988z01

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  9:59:21 PM  Show Profile
I can't think of a gun lube that doesn't have Teflon in it anymore. WD40 is history as far as a gun lube. Attracts dirt that later attracts moisture.
Rem Oil is relatively common
Mil-Comm's TW-25B is the official lubricant of SigSauer
Kleen-Bore has their SL4A Teflon Lubricant
Birchwood Casey has their 44128 Synthetic Lubricating Oil
Eezox has a gun lube as well

From my understanding (VERY LIMITED IN EVERYTHING ACCORDING TO THE WIFE) Teflon is different than other lubricants at the molecular level. Something about being more oval than round that helps it fill microscopic "pores" in the metal easier, causing less friction.

I never really thought about how this could affect barrel pressures. I have never noticed any differences in target shooting with a "freshly" cleaned barrel or one that has been shot several times. I really don't think it could have THAT much of a difference, but I learn something new here every single day. I'd love to know more.

Thanks Y'all,
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7118 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  06:40:41 AM  Show Profile
One of the best out there uses Teflon, and it is called Tri-Flow. A lot of lubes use Teflon these day's.

However, JustC is correct. The Teflon, under open flame, and high temperatures, will decompose and part of the by-products will be HF gas(Hydorgen Floride). The HF is bad stuff in itself, but when the Floride decomposes, it is closely related to the stuff that Hitler used to exterminate a lot of people. This is would be in so minute quantities, that is should not be of bother to any one.

Best
Go to Top of Page

robert smith

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  1:31:06 PM  Show Profile
have used break free with teflon for many years. was recommended for use on m16 rifles and worked well. i still use it for most lubrication.
Go to Top of Page

shoff14
Advanced Member

9959 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  1:36:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

One of the best out there uses Teflon, and it is called Tri-Flow. A lot of lubes use Teflon these day's.

However, JustC is correct. The Teflon, under open flame, and high temperatures, will decompose and part of the by-products will be HF gas(Hydorgen Floride). The HF is bad stuff in itself, but when the Floride decomposes, it is closely related to the stuff that Hitler used to exterminate a lot of people. This is would be in so minute quantities, that is should not be of bother to any one.

Best

Teflon doesn't start to break down till about (plus or minus depending on conditions) 500 degree F. For most guns this wouldn't be an issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page