GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Best coffee in the world…?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IronWill45

811 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  4:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, at work, a Vietnamese employee was telling me about some fantastic, and very expensive, coffee that’s produced in Vietnam called Kopi Luwak. The way he was describing it, I thought he was b/s’ing me. So later I looked it up and discovered he was for real.

All I can think is how and why…oh, how different our cultures are…

Link…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Check out the Amazon link selling this stuff. Now check out the comments…they are a total riot!!!

Link…
http://www.amazon.com/Kopi-Luwak-Coffee-Whole-16-Ounce/dp/B0030IGUIK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334781370&sr=8-3

I wonder if they tried it with corn yet???

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39411 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  4:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's coffee beans that have been thru a polecats butt...
Go to Top of Page

buckstar

1241 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  5:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the beans are shipped pre-roasted there is no way to tell if you're actually eating the cat crap you bought or Starbucks in a "collectors bag with certificate of authenticity."

Honestly though. Who wants to save the memorabilia that states that they purchased a $400 pot of coffee?

It's pretty simple, don't shoot at Americans, and you will not have your body pissed on.
Don
Go to Top of Page

gesshots
Advanced Member

USA
13555 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  5:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You really have to be desperate to search through dung, in hopes of finding a coffee bean. I don't believe Juan Valdez would approve.

=

gesshots

The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.
~ Mark Twain

Well. We'll see what the man's sellin'. THEN we'll shoot him. ~ Hub

Load six... if your gut, tells you too !
~ J. B. Books

Go to Top of Page

cce1302
Advanced Member

USA
8786 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drank a cup of it once. It was not too bad.

My friend had bought some beans and made a pot.

Not worth the $$$

Go to Top of Page

susie
Advanced Member

USA
4680 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  5:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was Jack Nicholson's brew of choice in "The Bucket List". Morgan Freeman was crying he was laughing so hard from telling Jack how it was made.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it. (Dilbert)
***KATN!***
Go to Top of Page

woodhog
Advanced Member

USA
8837 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  6:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard once that the best in somebodys estimation was Blue Mountain Coffee from Carribean, Jamaica (I think). Definitely didn't come out of any animals keister.
Go to Top of Page

Cubslover G16
Advanced Member

USA
15765 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  8:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kona coffees are very good, the best mainstream coffee for me is Tim Horton's.

Never had kopi lewak.

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"
Go to Top of Page

Jorge
Advanced Member

USA
9607 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  9:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawaiian and Colombian are highly marketed second rate coffees.

Puerto Rico is another story.

We have Alto Grande - one of the three best coffees in the World.

How do you think I got this here grey hair of mine, junior?
Go to Top of Page

cce1302
Advanced Member

USA
8786 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  9:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodhog

I heard once that the best in somebodys estimation was Blue Mountain Coffee from Carribean, Jamaica (I think). Definitely didn't come out of any animals keister.

Jamaican blue mountain is very good coffee. My wife bought me a half a pound of that once. It wasn't as expensive as the civet poop coffee, but it was pretty expensive.

Any of the central/south american coffees are pretty good. I like Costa Rican Tarrazu.

Go to Top of Page

bpost

USA
29502 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  9:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is wrong with "ON SALE" or better yet, get Aldi's coffee and drink a lot for very little money.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

buckstar

1241 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  10:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I microwave my huge, dirty, mug of water, add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee, poor a little sugar out of the bag (I prefer the fancy cane sugar because it costs the same but comes in a smaller bag, making it easy to poor), put 4 to 6 teaspoons of powdered milk in it, and if I haven't been eating much I'll put 2 teaspoons of chocolate ovaltine in it.

I used to be a coffee snob until I grew up and realized that in the grand scheme of things, the perfection of my coffee was of little relevance to anything. The more thought I wasted on my coffee, the less I enjoyed the rest of my life.

Coffee is a conveyance of nutrition, a source of caffeine, and a manual adjustment to your core temperature. No more, no less.

It's pretty simple, don't shoot at Americans, and you will not have your body pissed on.
Don
Go to Top of Page

mango tango
Advanced Member

USA
3212 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  10:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really good coffee, and we also like Dunkin Donuts Coffee!

http://www.lioncoffee.com/

"I didn't do it, and nobody saw me do it!
Go to Top of Page

Beeramid

USA
7780 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  11:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

skicat
Advanced Member

9858 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  11:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that coffee appeals to anybody maybe I could interest you in the worlds best corn made right here in MN. Tell me how many lbs and I'll get right to work.

$175 a lb and free shipping to any forum members.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." Ron Paul

“The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about.”
- Wayne Dyer

Edited by - skicat on 04/18/2012 11:43:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
21632 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  11:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expect it all has its share of rat poop in it, but I’ll just stick with the bitter stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Txs
Advanced Member

16081 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  12:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesRK

I expect it all has its share of rat poop in it, but I’ll just stick with the bitter stuff.

You really were in the Navy, weren't you?
Go to Top of Page

NOAH
Advanced Member

USA
6160 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  12:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FREE

noah
Go to Top of Page

mlincoln
Advanced Member

3405 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  12:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was once told that freshly roasted coffee, coffee made from beans that were roasted just hours before, is out of this world. I've never found a place to try it.

Starbucks makes a pretty darn good cup.

I once purchased and used the cold brew method. Very interesting, and apparently hundreds of times less acidic than hot brewed coffee. It was just a mess, though, and there's something to be said for a hot pot of coffee ready to go as you're leaving for work.

And like many things in life, I really do believe that with some notable exceptions men make much better coffee than women.
Go to Top of Page

Cubslover G16
Advanced Member

USA
15765 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  04:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buckstar

I microwave my huge, dirty, mug of water, add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee, poor a little sugar out of the bag (I prefer the fancy cane sugar because it costs the same but comes in a smaller bag, making it easy to poor), put 4 to 6 teaspoons of powdered milk in it, and if I haven't been eating much I'll put 2 teaspoons of chocolate ovaltine in it.

I used to be a coffee snob until I grew up and realized that in the grand scheme of things, the perfection of my coffee was of little relevance to anything. The more thought I wasted on my coffee, the less I enjoyed the rest of my life.

Coffee is a conveyance of nutrition, a source of caffeine, and a manual adjustment to your core temperature. No more, no less.

The perfect cup is the perfect start to my day.

Also, coffee has many antioxodant and cancer fighting properties. It fights alzheimers and parkinson's disease as well.

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"
Go to Top of Page

nutfinn
Advanced Member

8918 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  11:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Juhla Mokka

http://www.amazon.com/Paulig-Juhla-Coffee-Imported-Finland/dp/B000R0526A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ID0DUWfZA

Edited by - nutfinn on 04/19/2012 11:37:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

susie
Advanced Member

USA
4680 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  11:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly enough, McDonalds coffee is very good when fresh. I grab it when road tripping.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it. (Dilbert)
***KATN!***
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8855 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  11:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.coffeemasters.com/

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

8846 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  12:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like coffee, I drink coffee everyday, sometimes it's pretty good and sometimes it's just hot liquid in a cup, doesn't matter I drink it anyway. If someone wants to foot the bill and share a cup made from $400 a pound coffee I guess I would drink that too.

Go to Top of Page

buckstar

1241 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  3:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cubslover G16

quote:
Originally posted by buckstar

The perfect cup is the perfect start to my day. That is all psychological. A glass of water would have the same effect if you put your mind to it. Indeed I have, and I drink some water in the morning before I start to microwave my first cup of coffee.

Also, coffee has many antioxidant and cancer fighting properties. It fights Alzheimer and Parkinson's disease as well. Though I don't assume that these claims are wrong, they are advertisements and as useful as any other advertisement. Cancer, Alzheimer and Parkinson's do not run in my family and coffee is not a vaccination against the hereditary effects of aging. If coffee was assumed to prevent them then it would be regulated by the FDA, but it is not scientifically shown to so it's just statistical hype. Likely funded by the coffee growers association. Also, many things are antioxidants or contain them. I imagine that coffee has as many oxidizing chemicals in it than antioxidants.

Don
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page