GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester 1200/1300
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
2529 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  8:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of a friend of a friend has a complete winchester pump action receiver with both stocks on it. The shotgun is complete except that it has no barrel. I've looked online and read the descriptions in the BB. Other than running the serial # is there a good way to tell the difference since the model # is stamped on the barrel? I am assuming that they are both inexpensive guns with the 1300 being the better of the 2. Sorry no pics. trying to do some homework before I waste my time and look at it. thanks.

Todd

edit: If I did get the serial # did they even keep track of them?

Edited by - toad67 on 12/04/2012 9:07:30 PM

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

7305 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  11:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking that the 1300 was offered with Winchokes on the barrel, and maybe a different checkering,,
Go to Top of Page

makindu

409 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  10:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winchester 1200 and 1300 barrels are completely interchangeable. Also, Sears Ted Williams model 200 barrels will fit on the Winchester 1200 and 1300 receivers with no modifications, and vice-versa (I think even the Winchester Ranger barrels interchange with all of the above). While the barrels are completely interchangeable, the butt stocks on some of the 1300's (I think the 1300 XTR models but it may be all 1300's)) have a notched horizontal 'V' in the pistol grip stock that mates up with a matching horizontal 'V' at the back end of the receiver, so the XTR butt stocks are not interchangeable with other models.

See pic #2 of this auction for the Model 1300 butt stock alteration:
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319783792

As mentioned before, 1200's had fixed choke barrels, while the 1300's generally came threaded for Winchoke tubes. Otherwise, the 1300 uses the exact same parts as the 1200, save for the notched receiver and having the barrel being threaded for winchoke. I've owned them and used them (1200's and 1300's), but eventually went back to Remington 870's because I just love their crisp actions and rugged reliability.

Things I didn't like with the Winchester 1200/1300 shotguns:
1) Poor or weak ejection (when compared with an 870), bent broken ejectors and rear ejector pins
2) Safety button in front of trigger guard. I have short fingers, so that was an incredibly long stretch (from the pistol grip) for my pointer finger. Much prefer the safety behind the trigger assembly, as per the 870.
3) Overall balance point seemed to shift around when throwing gun up to my shoulder, so I'd get like a double bounce when shouldering gun. Again, 870 seemed to have a superior balance to me. Didn't jump around on my shoulder.
4) Not a bad shotgun, by any means, but just not as refined as the 870, IMO.

Edited by - makindu on 12/05/2012 10:52:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joes Custom Guns

USA
2394 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  07:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is when WINCHER peaked; and started to go down.If they had of kept
on making the Modle-12, and added the Winchoke to it.
They could of called it a Model-12A and only made the barrel heavy enough to except the Winchoke,(like the 1300 does) then their profits would have increased, and they would have still be in business and growing.(Hinsight is 20-20)
The heavy duck M-12 is ok to add a winchoke.
The Modle-1300 was ok. if they had of stayed with their hand fitting
(like the Modle-12),but hand fitting took to long like a Custom job
dose,and not many want to pay for that time.
Just like a CUSTOM GUN most people want the hand fitting, but do not want to pay for it.
I know that there are machines that will give CLOSE TOLERANCES, but not like hand fitting.

Edited by - Joes Custom Guns on 12/06/2012 07:40:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37069 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  10:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a 1300 Black Shadow, worst recoiling shotgun I ever fired. Bruised my cheek every time. After the second session, I could not sell it fast enough.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
2529 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  3:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by makindu

Winchester 1200 and 1300 barrels are completely interchangeable. Also, Sears Ted Williams model 200 barrels will fit on the Winchester 1200 and 1300 receivers with no modifications, and vice-versa (I think even the Winchester Ranger barrels interchange with all of the above). While the barrels are completely interchangeable, the butt stocks on some of the 1300's (I think the 1300 XTR models but it may be all 1300's)) have a notched horizontal 'V' in the pistol grip stock that mates up with a matching horizontal 'V' at the back end of the receiver, so the XTR butt stocks are not interchangeable with other models.

Thanks Roland, good info.

Todd

See pic #2 of this auction for the Model 1300 butt stock alteration:
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319783792

As mentioned before, 1200's had fixed choke barrels, while the 1300's generally came threaded for Winchoke tubes. Otherwise, the 1300 uses the exact same parts as the 1200, save for the notched receiver and having the barrel being threaded for winchoke. I've owned them and used them (1200's and 1300's), but eventually went back to Remington 870's because I just love their crisp actions and rugged reliability.

Things I didn't like with the Winchester 1200/1300 shotguns:
1) Poor or weak ejection (when compared with an 870), bent broken ejectors and rear ejector pins
2) Safety button in front of trigger guard. I have short fingers, so that was an incredibly long stretch (from the pistol grip) for my pointer finger. Much prefer the safety behind the trigger assembly, as per the 870.
3) Overall balance point seemed to shift around when throwing gun up to my shoulder, so I'd get like a double bounce when shouldering gun. Again, 870 seemed to have a superior balance to me. Didn't jump around on my shoulder.
4) Not a bad shotgun, by any means, but just not as refined as the 870, IMO.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page