GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Plans for a shooting bench
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

4406v

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  09:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for plans to build a wooden shooting bench.What I can find on-line is not very helpful.

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
3410 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  11:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a mobile one based on a free black and decker workmate. 4 inch vice on one corner. 44 mag brass drilled and tapped for bolts used to hold various pressed epoxied in from the underside of the table top. 1/2 nylon strap rubber cemented to beveled edge section. 38 Special drilled and set in bevel. Plastic coat hanger pieces fit into cases to make a leaning rifle rack. Tupperware container screwed to bottom of table top with extra buckled safety strap holds bolts, wrench, screwdriver with bits, magic marker, earplugs.

For a fixed one my plumber buddy made one out of 3 and 4 inch PVC pipe and fittings. Filled with dry sand it is very stable and heavy.
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7158 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  12:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all depends on what you want for the end result. If you want something for field use, and that is portable, or if you want one that is rock solid for shooting tiny groups, with refined shooting equipment. One will be portable, and the other will need a bulldozer to take down, if you ever want to remove it.

So, with that in mind, what are you looking to do?

Best

EDIT 1

OK, now that we know what exactly you are looking for, the rest is easy. You will need to build a bench that is either L shaped, to accommodate, either a right or left handedd shooter, ot a T shaped bench that will accommodate both.

I prefer the T shape. You will need 8 treated 4x4 posts, that are 6 foot long, 8 bags of quick crete, a shovel, some 2x6's to make your floor joice style table top, and some 5/4 decking.

Dig your holes 2-1 1/2 foot deep and set your posts in, and put one bag of concrete in each hole...the dimensions of what you want the table are yours to make. The one I have is 8 feet x 3 feet, with a 3 foot T for the elbow rest. I made the T, 2 feet wide. I also went a little further, and incoperated a bench style seat.

This will be rock solid, and shold you ever want to take it down, all you need is a chain saw to cut the posts off...or a bag of charcoal, lighter fluid, and a match.

Best

Take a look at these auctions on the otherside...
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/BrowseItems.aspx?IncludeSellers=484399

Edited by - tsr1965 on 01/23/2013 6:13:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

4406v

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  12:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for one that will be put on a friends property semi-parmanent.It can't be an eyesore and I want it to be able to withstand the weather.I've been using a picnic table on the property but want something designed to shoot from.I have seen wooden shooting benches they were asking $300 for.I'd like to build it myself and save some money.
Go to Top of Page

wanted man
Advanced Member

2956 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  2:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 4406v

I am looking for one that will be put on a friends property semi-parmanent.It can't be an eyesore and I want it to be able to withstand the weather.I've been using a picnic table on the property but want something designed to shoot from.I have seen wooden shooting benches they were asking $300 for.I'd like to build it myself and save some money.

An old school desk makes for a decent platform to build on...consider making something sturdy enough for precise shooting, yet mobile enough to put elsewhere during the bad weather months/between uses

If you don't know what the hell you're doing, go do it somewhere else!
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
22557 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  2:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I made one from old 2x4's, a few 2x6s' and some scrap plywood laying around. Then I put a 8" caster wheel under each of the 4 corners so it could be moved/rolled easily over the ground. Put on two coats of stain left over from a deck job and had my shooting bench ... solid as a rock.

PS: I didn't need any engineer or architectral plans...just used my head.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  7:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this is one where you're going to have to draw up what you want, then go to work and build it. No two benches are the same, and for what you want it for it will have to be a "custom" job to fit your (and your friends') requirements.

Most of these will have a seat that is adjustable, in case others want to use it. The "T" shape will allow for right and left handed shooting. To be truly steady, it'll have to be either sunk in the ground or really heavy, and it'll need LOTS of good paint or sealer to prevent warping/splintering etc.
Go to Top of Page

babun
Advanced Member

6635 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  7:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of good ideas here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Plans+for+a+shooting+bench&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=71W&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=B4UAUb3CIbCy0AHOiYCQCw&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=768&bih=447
Go to Top of Page

merrbarb

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  8:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4406v: There is a plan in Handloader Magazine, Oct-Nov. 2004. Heavy duty. Can be moved. good looking. I made one and I am pleased with it.

Best, Merrill

God helps those who help themselves
Go to Top of Page

merrbarb

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  8:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4406v: There is a plan in Handloader Magazine, Oct-Nov. 2004. Heavy duty. Can be moved. good looking. I made one and I am pleased with it.

Best, Merrill

God helps those who help themselves
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page