GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting
 mailing a B/P revolver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elglide
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the best way to ship a b/p revolver. Looks like I cant ship it through the US mail without a FFL. Fedex and UPS is very expensive. would it be best to take it to a FFL. Shipping to a private user. Thanks for any advice. Pat

ken44-40

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  11:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cap & Ball revolvers can be sent through the US Mail. Perfectly legal & the only way I do it.

Fingers (Ken44-40)(Show Me MO Smoke) McGee
SASS Regulator 28654-LTG
AKA Man of many Colts; Founding Member Central Ozarks Western Shooters; Rangemaster, Frontiersman, Stage writer extraordinaire; NRA Endowment Life

Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15525 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  1:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken is absolutely right. A Ball and cap revolver is not a firearm, it is an ANTIQUE firearm- both under Federal law, and Postal regulations.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

Mgderf

847 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  7:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize I'm a little late to this thread, and it really shouldn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway.
Make sure it is not loaded.

Have no fear of perfection- you'll never reach it.
"Cogito, Ergo Armatium Sum"- I think, therefore I am armed

NRA Endowment Life Member
Dormant U.S.Marine
Semper Fidelis
Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
31430 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2017 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some post offices have Lib Nazis working who will make up firearms laws on the spot for you. And they will give you a hard time shipping a black powder revolver.

Just label the package as "mechanical parts" and you are good to go.

HOWEVER, do not mail that thing to New Jersey. If that package breaks open in the New Jersey post office, you will be in serious legal trouble. It is considered a firearm in New Jersey. Probably other jurusdictions as well, like Chicago, not sure though.
Go to Top of Page

44caliberkid

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2017 :  12:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a US Postal window clerk for 15 years. I was the only one who knew Postal gun regulations. I would always try to handle the dealers or individuals that came in mailing firearms. If I couldn't, the person helping them would ask me. Allen Griggs is right, some clerks, who had no idea, would just say, no, you can't mail a firearm.
And yes, you can mail a cap and ball revolver. And like Mr. Griggs said again, tell them it's machine parts if they ask. You aren't lying.
Go to Top of Page

john carr

1367 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken44-40

Cap & Ball revolvers can be sent through the US Mail. Perfectly legal & the only way I do it.

Also rifles and shotguns as long as they are legal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page