GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 US Military Veteran Forum - Vietnam
 VC Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nunn
Administrator

USA
37596 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  10:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In "Green Berets," the John Wayne 1968 film, Captain Nim expresses intense hatred for the Viet Cong. Then, he tells the reporter, "I have VC on my own fire team."

How can that be?

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Retired Texas Peace Officer/FFL Dealer

Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

My GunBroker auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=3012

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15536 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  9:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He suspected that members of his team were secretly VC.

And he was probably right.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

CapnMidnight
Advanced Member

USA
7630 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  03:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had VC working as day laborers in base camp. We caught the poop burner stepping off distance from the fence to the hooch's. You couldn't really trust any of them. The Mountain Yards, in the central high lands, where more trust worthy.
W.D.

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Jeff Cooper
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/gunboard_3.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Smoky14

473 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  08:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CapnMidnight

We had VC working as day laborers in base camp. We caught the poop burner stepping off distance from the fence to the hooch's. You couldn't really trust any of them. The Mountain Yards, in the central high lands, where more trust worthy.
W.D.

The "Yards" were good people, saved my bacon.
Smoky

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Go to Top of Page

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
13293 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  06:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Chieu Hoi or (open arms) program was in operation when I was there. It was to receive surrendering enemy from the VC ranks and use them to gain intel. We also used them as scouts. In 1969 alone there were somewhere around 47,000 enemy fighters who came to our side. I recall seeing them sitting around drinking beer with ARVN soldiers attached to our unit.

As mentioned, the Montagnards are good people and good fighters, and loyal to US troops. They look like American Indians and were (are) treated like 3rd class citizens by the Vietnamese people.

Me with some yards visiting our firebase. They would come to get the wood crates our artillery rounds came in and make homes like we had (our bunkers) on right in picture.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"

Edited by - Laredo Lefty on 03/10/2016 12:09:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15536 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lefty- you will find a lot of the Montagnard families in North Carolina- right down the road from Ft. Bragg. You are spot on- they were treated like crap by the Vietnamese. Some of the SF folks managed to get their former Montagnard troops and families out of Vietnam, and resettled them in NC.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

Jim Rau
Advanced Member

USA
4275 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  10:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had one of the Chu Hoi's who survived an arclight! He said he wanted to be on the side that had that much fire power. I often wonder what happened to him.

Self defence is an absolute and natural right. An armed society is not always polite, but it is A FREE AND SAFE SOCIETY! Keep your head down and your powder dry! J. Rau, Alabama
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page