GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting
 Any .58 caliber shooters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DONDALINGER

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  9:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently picked up a pristine T/C Firehawk in .58 cal with scope. The availability for .58 cal bullets around here is slim. I bought a Lee REAL mold (440 grains) and cast a bunch of bullets then pan lubed them. Have not shot it yet, but looking forward to it. I'll update this thread with results when I get it dialed in.

Don

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."

navc130

515 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  12:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming it is for hunting, have you thought about using a sabot with .50 cal. or .45 cal. bullets. I like that type of action.
Go to Top of Page

DONDALINGER

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  6:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is most definitely for hunting. I prefer conicals in a muzzleloader. Long story, but true. Years ago, my first muzzleloader was a T/C Thunderhawk .50 cal with 20" barrel. I tried every sabot/powder combination available and it would not consistently group any of them. I switched to conicals and have had 100% consistent accuracy. I know dozens of folks who use sabots and swear by them, but I don't like them. I could get 2 or 3 shots in a decent group, but always had the erroneous flyers even with cleaning the bore between shots. I tried not cleaning between shots and still had flyers.

I have owned 5 different modern inlines and none have done well with sabots, but all have done outstanding with conicals. The .58 Firehawk has a 1 in 38" twist barrel. My Lyman inline has a 1 in 28" and my Remington 700ML had a 1 in 28".

I just prefer conicals and will stick with what works for me.

I will post a range report on the .58 once this stifling heat and humidity subsides (could be September, but hopefully before then)

Don

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

USA
8642 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  09:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a .58 double rifle. unfortunetly I can't use conicals as the recoil would more the 2nd load forward and leave an air space (not good!). even with round balls it realy flattens a deer!
Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
14165 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  8:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a T/C 58 cal big boar when they came out I had to have one
I sold it and found I could not live with one So I found another here on GB but have not shot if for several ++ years . still have some of the TC rounds for it . I bought some cast bullets off GB several years ago . also have some of the sabot loads for it .
I plan on picking up a mold at some point to cast my own bullets for it .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page