GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Death by woodchipper
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnnyBGood

1203 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. What a way to die .

http://start.att.net/news/read/category/news%20/article/fox_news-man_killed_in_woodchipper_accident-rfoxnews

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
14168 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for his sake I hope it was head first
terrible way to go no matter
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
10803 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I don't know. There are several people each year that I think would appropriately end in such a manner.
Go to Top of Page

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
16158 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  01:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

GunBroker.com Admin

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
13281 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  03:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That has happened several times over the years here in Cal where there are lots of landscape companies. A messy way to go for everyone involved.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"
Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
14168 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  04:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
true or not
I remember reading a story ( readers digest I think about 40 years ago ) about a fellow who was trying to clear a jam in a chipper by jumping on the jam he got pulled in by his legs was hanging on to the chute and had a breve moment of thought of letting go to end it or fight to live .
he hung on help must have been close by as he survived ( obvious to write the story ) its a little fuzzy about the details but it was 40 years ago when I read it
Go to Top of Page

Sperry
Advanced Member

5202 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  05:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About six months back a local landscape company had one of their "defacto-citizen" employees yanked into one. The responding police said it was most disgusting. The remains were transported back "home". Not sure how they separated the "remains" from the truck full of mulch.

And again about 18-24 months ago, same story, different person.

Completely preventable in the first six seconds. Then it's over in another two ...

American Toolbox
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
35556 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  05:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently no one told him you're supposed to throw items into the wood chipper, not feed them in....I wonder if he had time to think "oh poop".

A few years ago an employee was killed at a recycling plant. It seems the shredder got jammed so he climbed into the hopper and started jumping up and down on the debris to free the jam. It worked!! Sucked him right in and the only thing left was scraps and blood mist.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18278 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  06:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Total 'morselization' of body was the term used by the coroner in a 'chipper' death in Colorado,,,,,

Edited by - forgemonkey on 11/14/2017 06:20:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

mlincoln
Advanced Member

4896 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  08:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of me shakes my head when I hear this happen and I think "What an idiot!" Then part of me remembers working construction and being told time and again by the boss to do something totally unsafe to keep working moving or to speed it up. I've seen guy climb into the feed hopper on chippers to try to free jams, and they never shut down the machine because it's often hard to get started again.

It's one of the reason all the crews love using Mexicans. The work hard as hell and don't give any poop and do what they can to keep the work going.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15529 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  08:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been cases of a worker feeding branches into a chipper- the wrong end first. Got caught by a fork on a branch, pulled in. An actual part of training for operators is to include which end of a branch gets fed into the machine.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24166 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  09:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...a company I do business with lost a young guy,when he tried to unjam an ICE Screw Machine....his leg slipped in to the chute,and it ground him up...death by Ice Machine...happened 30 years ago..
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
39320 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  09:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Know of a few people who have been gotten by one of these guys. They try to work on it with out shutting it down.

Go to Top of Page

Okie743

USA
1416 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mlincoln

Part of me shakes my head when I hear this happen and I think "What an idiot!" Then part of me remembers working construction and being told time and again by the boss to do something totally unsafe to keep working moving or to speed it up. I've seen guy climb into the feed hopper on chippers to try to free jams, and they never shut down the machine because it's often hard to get started again.

It's one of the reason all the crews love using Mexicans. The work hard as hell and don't give any poop and do what they can to keep the work going.

Yep, boss says go stick your head in that fire and the ass whispers (ass lickers) are the ones that will do as they are told.

I was never in the ass whisper category.

Also noticed that others wants a guy to be honest, but if he talks about them honestly to their face, then they think he is a AXS hole.

I'm a honest guy and also know as a AXS hole
auto edit would not allow me to spell correctly

Edited by - Okie743 on 11/14/2017 11:10:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

49348 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never seems to happen to the right people.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

31684 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  8:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
local had a mex hired hand try to kick loose a jam in a tub grinder... he slipped...started from his toes to his belt buckle ..the box shipping him back to mexico was smaller...BAD deal...wood chippers ..you feed them by throwing the limb in...NOT NOT NOT feeding by hand
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
7500 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  8:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by forgemonkey

Total 'morselization' of body was the term used by the coroner in a 'chipper' death in Colorado,,,,,

Now there's a neat turn of a phrase.

Bad as the chipper is at least it's complete and refined. "Death by debarking" is neither.

dsf
Go to Top of Page

pulsarnc

USA
2270 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  9:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had one or two of these over the years .Not any worse than the guy who tried to clear a jam on the header of his corn picker while it was running about 20 years ago

don't pick a fight with an old man ,if he is to old to fight he will just shoot you
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11301 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  9:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember a few years ago when a 6 year old boy helping his dad, got pulled into one. His clothes got caught. His siblings were also helping. I can't imagine what that family went through and how terrifying it had to be for that child.
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

31684 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i remember that one, and many years ago east of Pratt a grandpa was running a brush hog mower and had his small grandson on the open tractor when he fell off..............i have been told farming was the next most dangerous to coal mining and i have had a couple of lucky breaks...some of that danger has been reduce by many types of machinery that now have cabs ...but.....chit happens
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page