GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 1894 38-55 rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

338weatherby

USA
429 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  11:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I have a friend who is selling this rifle that has been in his family for 60+ years. It's a standard rifle with octagon barrel, full mag, and crescent butt. It's a 38-55 and the serial number is 74xxx. The condition is ok. Wood is nice with no cracks, gouges or evidence of sanding/refinishing. The receiver looks correct with striations and case colors on hammer and lever. The problem is the barrel and magazine look to be reblued or messed with. There appears to be flaking or shinny spots on the barrel. The lettering and corners look correct. No polishing and small dings in the corners don't have bluing. It looks to me that someone years ago rubbed some kind of bluing on it. I know the value is significantly dropped and I don't want to offer too little. The bore and rifling looks to be 7 of 10. I feel the value is $1000-$1250. Does this sound correct? Would this be a candidate for a professional reblue or restoration?

"even a broken clock is right twice a day..."

There is a hint of truth in all sarcasm!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17748 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  11:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know anything about the value? But if the barrel, would have been one of the very early nickel steel barrels? Would have that affected it's finish. So that it wouldn't have the same blued finish, as the carbon steel receiver?

Go to Top of Page

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
5678 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  01:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, when it comes down to the point you're at, it's between you and the seller on the selling price. If you're looking at having it restored, the cost of the restoration, plus the purchase price is generally almost more than the value of the gun. However, if it's a gun you want, and price isn't a real big deal, buy it, have it restored and enjoy it..
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5352 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  02:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a shooter to me. Have you done an advanced search on completed auctions - I'm sure you can get a reasonable buying/selling price there.
Go to Top of Page

338weatherby

USA
429 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did look at past auctions and not many sell or sell low. The rifle is nice enough as is to be a shooter and still has the "look". It's just not the original collector piece. I think $1000 is fair. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
11336 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  12:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The early production Model 1894 barrels made for the 38-55 and 32-40 were not nickel steel (as they were for the 30 WCF, 25-35 WCF and 32 WS). Instead, they were what Winchester referred to as "high strength" steel.

Rebluing or refinishing the rifle will have a permanent and detrimental effect on the value and collector interest.

The partial serial number you mention makes it an 1899 production Sporting rifle.

$1,000 is reasonable enough.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

338weatherby

USA
429 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  1:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the opinion. If feel the same and just wondered if I was too low. It's a good friend who is trusting me on it and has no clue. If it wasn't an early model in 38-55 I wouldn't be interested in it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page