GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Dilemma in hand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jim_lemay

USA
1462 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  11:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
History:

Purchased a S&W Model 1905 4th Change in the K-200 Serial Number Range (38 S&W). Somebody has reamed the cylinder out to 38 Special and obliterated the cylinder serial number. Can'y tell if the changes were professionally executed. Didn't restamp the barrel either. I bought it to secure a proper pair of grips for another pistol.

Question:

Should I sell/scrap/part-out a pistol which is otherwise excellent condition?

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7113 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  11:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An oem cylinder from numrich makes it a shooter again???

Would you shoot it or use it for practice / get a use from it...

Allowing it to reenter the market intact and together almost guarantees that after you somebody will shoot the wrong ammo in it and not use the required safety gear or caution.

And it will grenade on a user at some point.

If for a reasonable price and investment in time you can pit it right and you are willing to shoot it and enjoy it than have at it.

But if your done with it that strip it down and part it out.

Numrich or Jack first might take it for parts purposes

Jmho

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5352 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  01:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
38 Special will shoot poorly in a 38 S&W barrel. I doubt the cylinder will hold up long and not long at all with a +p's.

Being a shooter not a collector, I vote to part it out and maybe save a shooter. Even if you fix it 38 S&W isn't much of a cartridge for any real use IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

pip5255
Advanced Member

USA
7422 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  01:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 38 special is a smaller diameter then the 38 S&W and also a smaller diameter bullet which is one reason for accuracy issues using the 38 S&W barrel, I am wondering why it was reamed out larger.

tired not retired !
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

10190 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I am wondering why it was reamed out larger."

I think he meant "longer" (so the 38SP will fully enter the cylinder).

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

Henry0Reilly
Advanced Member

USA
14328 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  12:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the patience to part things out. I would either get another 38S&W cyl or sell it as is.

Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Check out what I've got on the block here at GunBroker!

Be Active Today!

Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4105 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were several barge loads of British Service Revolvers reamed to accept .38 Special for surplus sale in the Colonies.

I don't know if anybody has ever shot one for accuracy or durability to test the effect of .002" in the barrel and .005" in the chamber, but the ones done in England by outfits like Cogswell and Harrison and Parker Hale had to be proof tested just like a new gun in the caliber stated. Proof mark with 1.16 instead of .767 shows that proof test was done after rechambering.

Might make an interesting project, real shooting tests instead of recycled Internet Lore.
Go to Top of Page

62fuelie

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  3:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the GB sales section there are pages of .38 Spl. barrels, many in the $60-80 range. This may be another way to deal with the bore diameter difference. Either way the age of the revolver will require that any shooter respect its age and pressure limitations. I would stick with the good old wadcutter load - 148 grain lead with 2.7 grains of Bullseye.

B
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13606 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  12:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not "that" gun, but its my understanding that the "lend/lease" WWI era 38/200 k-frames used the same .357 caliber barrels as the normal .38 special.

I'd be more concerned about legality of possessing a gun with an obliterated serial number than any safety issue of firing .38 specials through this gun.

quote:
Should I sell/scrap/part-out a pistol which is otherwise excellent condition?

See above.
I wouldn't hold onto it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4105 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
obliterated the cylinder serial number

Meaningless. If the gun still has the original serial number on the butt, it is legal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page