GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 selling guns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baaddawg

73 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  3:41:26 PM  Show Profile
If an older gentleman has about 80 guns, what would be the best way to liquidate them? All are quality pieces.

-----WOOOOFF!-----

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

Botswana
30217 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Hard to say what you mean by best. The way to realize the most coin per firearm, would to be list them on Gun Broker. List them singly after taking many WELL LIT, and IN FOCUS pictures. You can do this yourself, or have a dealer such as our very own Locust Fork sell them here on GB. Locust Fork has sold numerous collections for people, and her auctions bring top dollar. The way to liquidate them rapidly is to sell them to a local gun dealer.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad

CA #8....3%

Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15370 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Hard to say what you mean by quality. To some folks, the M1 Garand I got from the government is a quality gun. To me, a quality gun is the factory engraved rifle presented to President Lincoln by Tyler Henry in 1862. Everything is relative.

I have sold collections of fairly common guns for deceased friends on GB auction, & it usually averages me about 4 hours of work per gun. And, I'm familiar with the process. An exotic gun might take twice that much time. If the owner has detailed records describing each gun, that would go a long way towards making me comfortable selling myself; but, if you've got to go to the NRA library to figure out what he has, that makes it a lot more difficult.

A friend listed a collection with a local brick & mortar auction house, & got about 50% of my estimate had he sold them on GB.

Neal

"Time is money; how much do you have left?"
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5352 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  5:45:26 PM  Show Profile
I would look a the market for each one. A interesting collector piece for example a model 11 F Remington with gold inlays will likely bring more in a national auction than a local one, shipping/insurance/FFL fees will be a smaller % of the price compared to a really nice plain Jane 870.

Second is how fast do they need to sell. Say 85% of a gun's real value should sell reasonably soon - it could take a long time finding a buyer willing to pay the 100%.

Edited by - charliemeyer007 on 12/03/2017 5:49:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

AdamsQuailHunter

1461 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  5:50:55 PM  Show Profile
David Nunn --- "Nunn's Guns" also does consignments. You can find his e-mail address on any of his forum posts.

If you don't feel up to doing the photos and the listing yourself - you might like to consider putting them on consignment with Kasey McKay (locust fork) -- David Nunn -- or others you do consignment here on GunBroker.

If you take them to a gun show or a brick & mortar such as a pawn shop - you will not realize anywhere their potential value.

Best Regards -- AQH
Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
37639 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  6:51:07 PM  Show Profile
I have liquidated a few collections on consignment.

I reckon which avenue you choose depends on where you are in relation to the person you want to help you.

I am in NE Texas.

AdamsQuailHunter has it right. If you want best money for each piece, and you aren't in a big hurry, GunBroker is the place to go.

It is possible to get best money for a gun at a gun show,

IF you are on the dealer side of the table, and

IF the gun is something in demand or collectible, and

IF the show is one attended by collectors of the gun(s) you have in mind to sell.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Retired Texas Peace Officer/FFL Dealer

Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

My GunBroker auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=3012

Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

11452 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  8:50:24 PM  Show Profile
As above. Nunn or Locust would be fine, or yourself IF you have the time and knowledge to do so. I sold about 40 here for a wife of a friend of mine who passed. It's work, I tell you and if you let one of the above two do it, money well spent.
If you could name off a couple pieces of the collection,?
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44528 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  10:35:56 AM  Show Profile
GunBroker is indeed the way to make top dollar. If you consign the guns to a dealer in another state, expect to pay a chunk in shipping just to get them to the dealer, on top of paying for boxes. Then there are the GunBroker fees which are fairly nominal and the dealers commission, usually 10%-20%.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

truthful

232 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  12:40:35 PM  Show Profile
To me the most unpleasant part of non-local selling is the shipping. Obtaining boxes and packing material, dealing with clerks at the shipping company, dealing with customers about whatever complaints (real or imagined)they may have, buyers who ignore the types of payment yu will accept, dealing with the shipper over lost or damaged packages and the impossibility of collecting insurance on same. Add all that to the value of your time you will spend taking photos, making listings, communicating with lookie-loos, etc. Sure, you will get the top price on GB auctions, but you need to decide if you want to deal with the hassles.
Go to Top of Page

Mark G

USA
1165 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  4:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Get in touch with Kasey McKay (Locust Fork on the forums). Here is a link to her auctions.
http://www.GunBroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902

She is about 8 hours from St. Louis. Make arrangements to meet with her and transfer the firearms to her. Then sit back and relax and Kasey will do the rest. She has sold several high end Colts for me over the last couple of years and did a really great job. She does all the work, her commission is very reasonable and the auctions look great.

These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. 1 Peter 1:7
Go to Top of Page

oldWinchesterfan

561 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  5:03:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G

Get in touch with Kasey McKay (Locust Fork on the forums). Here is a link to her auctions.
http://www.GunBroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902

She is about 8 hours from St. Louis. Make arrangements to meet with her and transfer the firearms to her. Then sit back and relax and Kasey will do the rest. She has sold several high end Colts for me over the last couple of years and did a really great job. She does all the work, her commission is very reasonable and the auctions look great.

Kasey helped me sell some guns, I'm in your area. I met her half way in Memphis to transfer them to her. I sent you an email through the GB forums email system.

Edited by - oldWinchesterfan on 12/04/2017 5:05:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page