GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Shipping long guns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

binski
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  6:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Checked in search,but couldn't find answer.How do you figure the shipping rate when listing firearm on GB.Have sold a couple of small items on GB,and had to make up difference from listed shipping quote. binski

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

USA
8654 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  6:46:46 PM  Show Profile
I just add what it would take to ship to the farthest point in the U.S. most long guns can be shipped for <$50 w/ ins. some times I'm off a little and either make an extra $ or eat the difference.

Edited by - MIKE WISKEY on 12/05/2017 6:48:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

binski
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  7:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mike Whiskey. I tried to make some sense out of FedEx site,but just confused myself! You gave me a place to start,and maybe I'll catch on before to long.. Thanks again binski
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15367 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  7:21:41 PM  Show Profile
You need to have the shipping carton/case in hand before you list a long gun. I assume that the carrier is going to try to get a truck to run over the container, because no one likes "manual handling" items.

I usually low ball the shipping price & eat the loss. Some folks will call you a thief if you quote the actual cost; that only tells you that they haven't shipped a long gun recently. Insurance, signature required, "excess length", all add up to a staggering amount.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

PA Shootist

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  7:45:56 PM  Show Profile
I typically ship long guns in double boxes, as said one must figure on the carrier throwing the carton, dropping it, or running it over! Figure $6.00 for both new boxes, purchased to fit one inside the other. This adds a little weight, of course. Add for bubble wrap if used, I use it most times. The buyer hopes to have his newly purchased firearm arrive in the same condition as it was in when shipped, and I believe I owe that to the buyer. Insurance can be estimated for approximate selling price, and I include that cost. Be sure the receiver understands the rules of filing a claim for damage, e.g.: Notify the carrier immediately of visible duress to the shipping cartons; Notify the carrier as soon as possible of hidden damage; and most importantly, SAVE ALL THE PACKAGING for inspection. Without the package being deemed adequate upon scrutiny by the insurance inspector, the claim will be denied! They prefer to not pay claims! Some will advertise shipping for actual costs, but that leaves the potential bidder wondering just how much it might cost, might deter from bidding. I calculate to the greatest distance US points, and I try to come pretty close to actual total costs, but sometimes I come up a little short, sometimes I gain a dollar or two, which might help defray the costs of driving to a shipping point, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

11448 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  8:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I always eat some cost, think it helps bidders cough up a little more. When I see shipping 45-50 dollars, well that turns me the other direction. IF it merits I get a hard case at no cost to bidder, other than that as above, BUBBLE WRAP the heck out of it. ymmv
Go to Top of Page

fordsix
Advanced Member

8018 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  11:11:14 PM  Show Profile
i ship guns in 6"craft tubes in 6x6x48 boxes i can stand on them, hi alaska is very expensive ,cross the continental divide at 10 bucks
Go to Top of Page

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
5675 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  11:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Go beg and plead to your local gun shops to get some discarded factory rifle boxes that customers don't want. Once you get some of those then ask for the outer shipping boxes that the guns came in. Most of the shipping boxes are about 4"x 9"x 52" or so. Cut the Styrofoam out to make the gun fit in the factory box, and then put it into the shipping box. Cut the outer shipping box as close as you can to the inner box. Most packages over about 50" long get you an extra charge. Make sure the gun is tight in both boxes too. Whatever anyone tells you don't use bubble wrap. They can say what they want, but I'll guarantee you that they have never had to prove their case to a carrier's insurance as to how well it was packed. I've had two separate rifles arrive with broken butt stocks in the last year and a half. Proving that the rifles were correctly packed got the insurance to pay up, but it took time. As for rates, you live about in the middle of the Country so I'd guess that $35 would cover you on most guns either way insured to about $600. Good luck, it can be an adventure.
Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
37638 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  11:42:13 PM  Show Profile
It is legal for a non-FFL dealer to ship a long gun via USPS. You can go standard parcel rate or Priority Mail rate.

I ship via Priority Mail, and for a normal long gun, I charge $35 for shipping. Sometimes, I guess short and make up the difference, and other times I guess long and pocket a buck or two.

I also provide new Uline boxes, and a lot of bubble wrap and tape.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Retired Texas Peace Officer/FFL Dealer

Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

My GunBroker auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=3012

Go to Top of Page

mmppres

1808 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:38:36 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Nunn. Most ship USPS for 35 or 40 with signature. Also remember that if you insure for over 500.00 signature is free. I use alot of bubble wrap from incoming firearms. Also us the heavy duty card board corners that are on appliances those you get free from stores.
Go to Top of Page

john carr

1387 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  11:55:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nunn

It is legal for a non-FFL dealer to ship a long gun via USPS. You can go standard parcel rate or Priority Mail rate.

I ship via Priority Mail, and for a normal long gun, I charge $35 for shipping. Sometimes, I guess short and make up the difference, and other times I guess long and pocket a buck or two.

I also provide new Uline boxes, and a lot of bubble wrap and tape.

Absolutely. I've mailed (sic) six or seven shorguns and rifles over the past few years, shipped Priority, never much over $15.00 + insurance, forgotten how to estimate insurance. No hassle at counter.
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

Mozambique
39866 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile
The last gun I sold I put a $35 shipping fee in the auction. Actual shipping cost was $51. Insurance will add substantially to the shipping cost.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page