GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Leather Dyeing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
6782 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  12:40:21 PM  Show Profile
I have a new western style holster (not expensive, *Cheaper than Dirt product I think) that was given to me which is a burgundy wine color, question can I re-dye it to black or better yet a dark brown....just don't care for the burgundy look. Thanks for any replies.

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17748 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  1:23:10 PM  Show Profile
There have been various types of leather dyes, on the market for years. GOOGLE, leather dye. I'm sure a bunch of different ones will turn up.

Many moons ago when I joined the army,( Ike jackets were still being worn ). I was issued the old brown leather boots. Had to dye them black.

Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15370 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  1:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Fiebing's Leather Dye, available from many shooters' supply companies, will probably work for you.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
6782 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the replys , wasn't sure if there was a chemical blocker in the current stain to prevent a color change.
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

3041 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  3:44:05 PM  Show Profile
That's an excellent dye..

What ever dye you select, it's best to de-glaze the current finish first.. Most leather dyes are alcohol based, but some leather has a clear sealer applied, as well..

I use either lacquer thinner, or acetone.. You want to apply with a soaked rag, not allowing any more solvent than necessary to be absorbed.. The solvent will also remove the leathers natural oils, so you just want to break the glaze and remove some surface dye..

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17252 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  7:18:19 PM  Show Profile
go to any large shoe store they have what you need
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5352 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  8:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Test it with a fat tip Sharpie in an unseen spot first.

Tandy Leather has good dyes in stock.
Go to Top of Page

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
6782 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:39:02 PM  Show Profile
All good tips, Thanks a bunch ... I was really hoping to dunk it in a 5 gal. bucket so I'd get into/around the bullet loops without a lot of hand work, then maybe hang it to dry. I'll be experimenting for sure, my luck it may even turn out to be pink....did I mention it was free . Hopefully my rubber gloves don't leak
Go to Top of Page

asphalt cowboy
Advanced Member

7213 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  1:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Most quality wood stains are made of the same chemicals as leather dye (think Minwax). The biggest difference is the size of the pigment particles used. You can also buy a quart of Minwax for what you'd pay for 8oz of leather dye. IME there's a larger selection of selection of colors with wood stains also.

I am Dyslexic of Borge.
Resistance is futile.
Your ass will be laminated.
Go to Top of Page

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
6782 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  2:06:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by asphalt cowboy

Most quality wood stains are made of the same chemicals as leather dye (think Minwax). The biggest difference is the size of the pigment particles used. You can also buy a quart of Minwax for what you'd pay for 8oz of leather dye. IME there's a larger selection of selection of colors with wood stains also.

Very surprising but again many products are like that with multipile uses & it's good to know....I have a whole lot of wood stain sitting around, Thanks, good tip
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44528 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  10:22:37 AM  Show Profile
You would find 5 gallons pretty spendy. I keep a bottle of British Brown to keep my holster touched up when it gets a scuff or a bit of wear. It is better than $5.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page