GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Chili Adventure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24024 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  7:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winter has arrived, cold and wet.
I spent a couple of hours outside with new dog bedding and string doors for the houses.

A bowl of chili sounds good. All I had in the reefer was grass-fed ground beef with zilch fat. I wanted the fat so I cut up half a chuck roast and browned it in pure lard with onions and garlic.

Added the beans and the spices and on a whim, added filé. That is the ground up leaves of the sassafras tree. It's used in gumbo and to thicken up soups in the South. I grow my own, so it's always on hand.

The lard and filé made a real difference. The flavor was full and the liquid was silky smooth.

Mexico Mexicans use a lot of lard and that's probably why I love their street taco vendors so much. If you get adventurous and want to try something new give it a spin.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
16391 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fresh file is the best. Mom used to have a tree in the yard that she kept bush sized.

GunBroker.com Admin

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24024 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  9:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFun

Fresh file is the best. Mom used to have a tree in the yard that she kept bush sized.

The leaves started yellowing last week. I ground up a Quaker Oats barrel full of filé from the upper green leaves. It will take me a year to use that much.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page