GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 .357 sig powder choices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

M1A762
Advanced Member

Niger
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  12:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else here load .357 sig? What is your go to powder? I have read Longshot is a winner, but have not tried it yet.

I use AA#9 and Power Pistol.

AA#9 has the benefit of preventing bullet setback when using a charge of 13gr with a 125gr gold dot. I like that because setback with the .357 sig is bad, you can blow up your barrel - ask me how I know!

Now Power Pistol is a different beast all together in .357sig. If you want magnum power in .357sig this is the powder for you!

I load 8.5gr of Power Pistol over 125gr gold dots. This load has the WOW factor you expect out of a magnum cartridge.

I have a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf .357sig barrel, it is a very accurate shooter and powerful to boot.

I like having 14 rounds of magnum power .357sig and two 15 round spare magazines for one of my CCW choices.

62fuelie

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  3:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way back when, in the late 90's I got my first .357 Sig, a P-229 that I carried for duty and still use today. My first service level load was OLD Blue Dot, but then they changed the formula and I scrambled around trying quite a few powders. I have settled on Power Pistol as it gives excellent velocity with the 125 grain Sierra/Sig V-Crown. For plinking and practice I use Gil Berry's 125 thick plated flat nose. I use these loads in both my P-229 and P-239 Sigs and I load at Hodgdon's listed max for the 125 grain.

B
Go to Top of Page

M1A762
Advanced Member

Niger
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  9:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 62fuelie

Way back when, in the late 90's I got my first .357 Sig, a P-229 that I carried for duty and still use today. My first service level load was OLD Blue Dot, but then they changed the formula and I scrambled around trying quite a few powders. I have settled on Power Pistol as it gives excellent velocity with the 125 grain Sierra/Sig V-Crown. For plinking and practice I use Gil Berry's 125 thick plated flat nose. I use these loads in both my P-229 and P-239 Sigs and I load at Hodgdon's listed max for the 125 grain.

Thanks much, I will have to take a look at those Berry's 125gr plated bullets.

I do load my own powder coated cast bullets for .357sig. I use the Lee .358-125-RF six cavity mold. I size them down to .356 after powder coating. Good accurate bullet that even has a crimp groove that works for .357sig. I have loaded these over 8gr of Power Pistol, but they are hot, very flat primers and some cratering. For practice ammo I prefer to use 12gr AA#9 with these cast bullets.
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5585 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  11:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just at the Mesa AZ BassPro earlier today. Reasonable selection of primers and bullets, powder not so much. Might have been 2 #'s of powder that could work in a pistol.
Go to Top of Page

375H&H

1246 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  05:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8gr's of Unique and 125gr Montana Gold J.H.P. from this guy right here on the auction side , great plinking ammo at a very fair price .

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/722667193

Shooting them out of a Glock 31C .

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool , then open your mouth and remove all doubt
Go to Top of Page

M1A762
Advanced Member

Niger
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  02:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 375H&H

8gr's of Unique and 125gr Montana Gold J.H.P. from this guy right here on the auction side , great plinking ammo at a very fair price .

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/722667193

Shooting them out of a Glock 31C .

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

12889 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like AA#5 with 125gr bullets. 9gr will push them almost 1300 fps in my G32 it great plinking load.

I use AA#5 is almost every pistol cartridge I reload for (38spl-44mag). Its a great powder very consistent and most of all it meters great in my 550B, its my goto powder when loading lead bullets for range fun.

I think AA#9 would be a bit slow but it should work fine. If it was me I think I would bump down to #7 and give that a try. Either will be a great powder and the AA powders are so clean burning and consistent.

I have heard the same thing about Longshot but its hard for me to find it here.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

M1A762
Advanced Member

Niger
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  08:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam06

I like AA#5 with 125gr bullets. 9gr will push them almost 1300 fps in my G32 it great plinking load.

I use AA#5 is almost every pistol cartridge I reload for (38spl-44mag). Its a great powder very consistent and most of all it meters great in my 550B, its my goto powder when loading lead bullets for range fun.

I think AA#9 would be a bit slow but it should work fine. If it was me I think I would bump down to #7 and give that a try. Either will be a great powder and the AA powders are so clean burning and consistent.

I have heard the same thing about Longshot but its hard for me to find it here.

Give AA#9 a try. 13gr of AA#9 under a 125gr bullet has a good thump!

I have a pound or two of AA#5, I will have to try it out for .357 sig plinking ammo.

I loaded a few hundred 125gr gold dots over 8.5gr Power Pistol last week, I use these for my carry ammo in my G23 with .357 sig conversion barrel. These really are magnum like in recoil and muzzle blast!

I will have to chrono these loads when the weather allows in a few months, I don't think the wife would understand why I need to check .357sig velocities in the basement!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page