GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Schmidt-Rubin Model 11
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emsfire

52 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there, I recently purchased a K11 from my girlfriends father for $100 dollars. I was looking over the rifle and noticed there isnít an import mark, none whatsoever. I was wondering how did a rifle enter the US without an import mark? Also what kind of wood was used on the stock? Last but not least, why does it seem these rifles are least preferred over the K31 and whatís the value range? All matching rifle here. The serial number is in the 390,000ís if that helps. I would upload a picture but I havenít quite learned how to do it yet.

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15898 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  08:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minimal differences between the K11 and K31. Following is a C&P for Swissrifles.com:

In May 1931, a series of 200 improved carbines were produced. These carbines were issued to various shooting schools as well as six recruit schools. The testing continued until October 12, and produced the following conclusions:
The new bolt design was less prone to binding.
There were fewer feed problem.
The new action was less prone to failure, even in the event of one of the locking lugs breaking.
The new stronger action was better able to survive firing with a barrel blockage.
The new designs proved very durable, four carbines had 150,000 rounds fired through them without any appreciable failures.
Unlike the previous Schmidt-Rubin series of rifles, the new carbineís locking lug locked up immediately behind the chamber. This afforded several advantages. The entire action was strengthened as the lugs were locking in a much thicker part of the action. Lock-up was also more precise. The bolt was significantly shortened, allowing for a longer barrel and sight radius, without increasing the overall length of the rifle, moving the rear sight closer to the eye, and cutting in half the amount of time for the firing pin to strike the cartridge after the trigger was pulled.
The new carbine also had several other new features. The barrel was intended to be free floating. The action itself only connected to the stock by two screws, one attaching to the chamber, with the second attaching to the tang. This allowed the Swiss to eliminate the aluminum barrel collar used in the Schmidt-Rubin series. The trigger was redesigned, as were the magazine and rear sight.
The end result of these modifications produced a rifle that was more accurate, yet cheaper than the K11, it was replacing. In 1932 it was estimated that the cost of a K11 would be 169 Swiss Francs. Conversely, the new carbine had an estimated cost of 151 Swiss Francs.

Import mark may be small and inconspicuous, or rifle might have been imported before 1968. Some stocks are walnut, some beech. Value? Whatever it sells for- and price on the Swiss rifles is going up. At $100, I'd take your GF's Dad out for a burger and a beer.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5585 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  08:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/

Could be a 'bring back'. Perhaps it got here well before the law. Is your wood stained orange? Straight pull's never really caught on here, even the more local Ross. Do an advanced search for it in completed auctions. Yahoo still has free photo hosting FLICKR.

added I agree a hundred bucks was good deal.
https://www.GunBroker.com/item/717347101

Edited by - charliemeyer007 on 01/12/2018 8:02:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

spirits

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  11:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the import markings are very minimal stenciled etchings and located where you don't expect them to be. I would look for them again (e.g., on the barrel behind and below the front sight). Also remove the butt plate and see if it has a tag with the identity of the original Swiss militia members name, unit, address, and phone number.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page