GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Sam concerning the Dan Wesson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
4587 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam I grew up shooting revolvers competitively to include PPC where we shot from 7 yards out to 50 yards stressing accuracy over speed as well as bowling pin and combat matches where fast accurate double action fire was the recipe for winning. There is absolutely no doubt in my feeble mind that Smith & Wesson revolvers had the best double actions available of any American made revolver with the Rugers close behind.I tried them all and while the Python was pretty the stack actions sucked.
Now on to Dan Wesson. I purchased a model 15-2 6" gun around 1975 and it was a good accurate gun. The double action was nothing to brag about and as I recall the action parts were made from sintered metal like MIM and could not be polished so there wasn't much to be done as far as slicking up the gun was concerned. The DW's were accurate and became very popular with the metal silhouette shooters where all the shoting is slow and single action.
If you are mainly shooting single action then all this doesn't matter but I will say good and cheap usually don't appear in the same sentence when discussing revolvers. They are much more fragile and harder to build than semi auto pistols and unless you find a smoking deal you will usually have to pay a premium.
Some one mentioned Taurus and I have seen some decent Taurus mid and large size revolvers that I wouldn't have a problem owning. That will be the cheapest probably. Pretty much all the Ruger DA revolvers are great guns. Hope this helps, good luck, Ricci.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"

Edited by - Ricci Wright on 01/12/2018 10:22:48 AM

Sam06
Advanced Member

12889 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the words of wisdom Ricci.

I have re-thought what I want and I think a M14 S&W is closer to what will fill the bill.

I want a revolver that is center fire but mimics my M17.

6 Shot revolver in 38 or 357, 6" barrel, patridge front sight, blued with a good DA.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
4587 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam I think I have a 6" model 14 at the house that I will sell. Let me see if I can get it listed and you can bid if you feel like it.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

12081 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the model 14 was a 38spc?
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

12081 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  11:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the 27's have the partridge front sight, here's an example

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/737013509

Looks like Ricci has a 14 though.
Go to Top of Page

papernicker

USA
1002 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a new Dan Wesson in 1978 and had to sell a couple years later. Now I have a .357 and .22 and have learned how they work and how to slick them up...and reassemble them. I can't say that about other makes. The polishing can make a huge difference and not involve sanding off any surface hardening.
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

12889 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  2:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCOUT5

I thought the model 14 was a 38spc?

It is and that is all I was going to shoot out of whatever I bought I just wanted the option of shooting 357.

I am bidding on a few M14's right now.

RLTW

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

12889 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  2:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is nice but its also about twice as much as I want to spend.

Thanks though............

See that was why I was initially looking at a DW. They are good guns and they used to be under priced IMO. Now they have really gone up in price.

The pistol packs are crazy and even a nice M15 with no tools or anything is going for as much as a M19 S&W(Which is what I would like to have in the 1st place)

RLTW

Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

Mozambique
40138 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  4:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam06

quote:

That is nice but its also about twice as much as I want to spend.

Thanks though............

See that was why I was initially looking at a DW. They are good guns and they used to be under priced IMO. Now they have really gone up in price.

The pistol packs are crazy and even a nice M15 with no tools or anything is going for as much as a M19 S&W(Which is what I would like to have in the 1st place)

They only went up in price because of all the dealers back then that only wanted to sell Smith & Wessons, Rugers and Colts. Few dealers stocked them and the ones that did made a killing. It wasn't until after some of those that only purchased the big 3 bought them and realized how good they actually were, by then it was to late. It drove the prices up and even guns that look like crap will bring top dollar.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
45477 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  8:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bidding on a few? At the same time? That could be interesting, you might have to change your name to Three Guns.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page