GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 well,,now I have Diabetes too
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
5030 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  3:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last few years have been rough,,I dont complain because so many of the other Guys are fighting Cancer or I just feel they are worse than me. around 5 years ago I shattered my right ankle, this put me in the bed for 9 months. Laying in bed so much I lost blood circulation in my lower left leg,,so now both legs are poop. I ended up in Hospital last night, could not stop urinating, I mean like a quart an hour every hour for 3 days. when they checked me in my sugar count was 499 ,A1c was 12.5, endocrinologist said I was just before going into coma, between sugar levels and dehydration. First time ever had a problem with my sugar.Then the endocrinologist chewed my but out because about a year ago I decided to listen to all the internet Doctors and quit all sweeteners except real sugar.. He said more people end up diabetic because of all the false information against artificial sweeteners, He took me off sugar and back on Splenda and Stevia,

hillbille
Advanced Member

7338 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have allways said, I don't think the internet doctors have diplomas on their walls. but to each their own. either way sorry hear it, but it is controlable good luck and do what he says, give it a few months and see if you feel better before you just blow him off.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11713 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  3:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just means you lived long enough to get type 2 diabetes. Make the changes you need to to manage it and keep living.
Go to Top of Page

fordsix
Advanced Member

8100 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know too. life is all artificial now watch out for products with alcohol sugars to much is a laxative
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

11950 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  4:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there, done that about 15 years ago. Control your blood sugars and get on with life.

Your mileage may vary.
“Every time a system is made foolproof - a new class of fool emerges.”
Prod Harris

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."

"Profanity is the linguistics of the inarticulate."

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

In a follow-up story, local police are considering charging Mr. Lapointe with felony stupid. The usual additional charge of Ignorant in a Smart Zone will not be applied, due to the rural location of the incident, according to a police spokesman.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and Always win." Clint Smith

I come from a State that raises corn and cotton and cock-leburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me.
- Willard D. Vandiver

The burden of proof lies on the plaintiff.
- Legal maxim
"The trouble with Communism is that eventually you run out of other people's money?"
Margaret Thatcher 1976

To what level of stupidity do you want to address?
Go to Top of Page

Bubba Jr.
Advanced Member

USA
5472 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  5:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2011, I weighed 203, had a big bowl of ice cream every night for a snack, and was having TIA's. My A1C was 14.5. I took diabetes classes at the hospital and something that got my attention was the wall chart that only went up to 12.5.

That was the day I made changes to my lifestyle. I went on a low carb diet (65 carbs per meal) and started exercising and walking 2 miles a day. After a few months I lost over 50 pounds and felt a lot better.

My last A1C from December was 5.5. All it takes is the desire to make changes and keep it up, and you will lead a very near normal life. Except for the finger pokes every day.

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7200 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no longer diabetic...

Losing weight and eating better and and avoiding certain things like HFCS can allow you to defeat diabetes.

And metforman will help control it and let you get started on some life style changes

You have been through hardship before - I for one think that with some work and some changes you can diminish the issue or destroy it

Talk to the doc and see a nutritionist.

I wish you the best.

And there is no equivalency in illness or hardship or loss.

My cancer does not trump your ankle issues - we all share in hardship and you have my prayers and support.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

mogley98
Advanced Member

USA
13630 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  7:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about that it sucks to get older and have these issues come up.

As many have said you can make some changes to help the situation.

Prayers asked for you to get better.

Go to Top of Page

JimmyJack
Advanced Member

USA
2765 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  7:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have diabetes and was told once you have it you will have it for the rest of your life. You can decrease the symtoms but without diet and/or medication it will return.
Go to Top of Page

M1A762
Advanced Member

Niger
3186 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  08:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son is 14 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 10 yrs old. There is no cure for his diabetes yet, he has to have insulin injections a dozen or so times a day, and has to test his blood sugar even more.

Type 2 diabetes can be managed and controlled easier than type 1, at least in my opinion. My son is very active and watches his carb / sugar intake, but some days are just a mystery, no reason for his blood sugar to skyrocket.

I was a type 2 diabetic. Weight loss, diet and exercise has kept me off insulin. But it could easily return if I stopped exercise and gained the weight back.

Watching your carb and sugar intake will help you, and it is hard at first. Even better is finding some type of exercise that you will keep doing, not just for a week or two.

Good luck, the good news is type 2 diabetes can me managed and even cured, it takes dedication though.
Go to Top of Page

minitruck83
Advanced Member

USA
5136 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  08:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by M1A762

My son is 14 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 10 yrs old. There is no cure for his diabetes yet, he has to have insulin injections a dozen or so times a day, and has to test his blood sugar even more.
Type 2 diabetes can be managed and controlled easier than type 1, at least in my opinion. My son is very active and watches his carb / sugar intake, but some days are just a mystery, no reason for his blood sugars to skyrocket.

Stress, of any sort, will cause sugar levels to increase. exercise is one of the better ways to deal with type 2, and can sometimes reduce, or in some cases eliminate medications.
My grandmother was diagnosed with 'sugar', (don't think they differentiated, between the types in the 40's) her doctor prescribed saccharin,greens, no breads... and meat fat!
(she passed at 92, cardiac infarction)
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

32549 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a high school girl here has bad diabetes ...but...controls it by a battery driven pump worn on her belt...system reads her and injects insulin as needed...guess getting kids regulated is the hard part...i heard diabetes skips a generation ...i remember as a little kid watching grandad giving himself shots with a big glass syringe ...scary...and i have not had any symptoms...lucky me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page