GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester 1892 32 20
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dodge69

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came across a unusual 1892 32 20 with what appeared to be a silencer on it has anybody every seen one of these. What would you need a silencer for on a 32 20?

nmyers
Advanced Member

15487 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's head-scratcher. It would help if you could post photos.

There's no point in firing "rifle" loads in a .32-20 with a suppressor, as all are well above supersonic speed. OTOH, my loading manual warns against firing "pistol" loads in a .32-20 rifle. (?)

Could it really be a muzzle brake? How is it attached to the rifle? Does it have some way to take it apart?

Maybe it's just some kind of experiment.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

gartman

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  11:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a number of old 22 rimfires set up for silencers.
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  11:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winchester first offered a factory Maxim silencer on the 1890 .22.. Probably available on other models..This would have been before NFA 1934.. Maybe offered only threaded barrels,as well..Michael-member (Mod1892), or Bert H might have correct info..

'While a few major firearms manufacturers offered factory threaded barrels for Maxim’s suppressors, most firearms of the day with threaded barrels were rare.

The rifle featured in this article is a Winchester Model 1890, chambered for the .22 Long cartridge, was special ordered in 1913 with a factory installed Maxim Model 1912, .22 caliber suppressor. The buttstock tang of this rifle was stamped with the word “Special”, a marking normally found on high-end Winchesters.'

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3274

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JP-sR3aJw

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/
Go to Top of Page

oldWinchesterfan

624 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  12:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've held several times a model 94 in 38-55 with scope, threaded barrel, and maxim silencer that's in an olive drab, fitted wooden case. Also in the case is a thread protector for when the silencer was not attached. Work is meticulous on the scope mounting system. Barrel threading and everything else appears to be factory work but after the range for which a factory letter is available. Very interesting piece. No military markings but obviously a sniper rifle set up. For a hit man? If only it could talk.

Finally, scope is mounted for a left handed shooter. Facinating piece. I believe back then Winchester would truly make anything a customer was willing to pay for.

Edited by - oldWinchesterfan on 02/05/2018 12:08:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17865 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  1:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photo of suppressed 94 in the Teddy Roosevelt museum collection. "He didn't want to disturb the neighbors." According to the article on the net.

No information is provided with the photo, about the suppressor. Caliber,if it was done at Winchester, or aftermarket etc.

Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7069 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  5:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Varmint control around a henhouse, or cattle in the pasture.
If you're in the egg business, one gunshot can cut a days production in half. Shooting coyotes or wolves around already jumpy livestock, and you have a stampede.
Had an old Remington Model 24 in .22 Short I would keep loaded with .22 Short CB caps for chicken feed thieving rats. Hammering a nail was louder.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
11363 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  9:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

Photo of suppressed 94 in the Teddy Roosevelt museum collection. "He didn't want to disturb the neighbors." According to the article on the net.

No information is provided with the photo, about the suppressor. Caliber,if it was done at Winchester, or aftermarket etc.

It is a 30 WCF, fitted with a Maxim silencer factory installed by Winchester. It is the only Model 1894 that letters with one. Undoubtedly there were more Model 1894 rifles equipped with them, but they were all after serial number 353999. Phil Schreier did a short filmed discussion about TR's Model 1894. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMoWmK1mn4

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Edited by - Bert H. on 02/05/2018 9:48:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mod1892

106 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  08:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dodge69

I came across a unusual 1892 32 20 with what appeared to be a silencer on it has anybody every seen one of these. What would you need a silencer for on a 32 20?

There has been one offered on GunBroker for over a year now with no takers on it. Most of these that I have seen are after factory modifications. If you can get the SN and/or photos of the rifle I will be glad to look at it for you.

Michael

Model 1892 Collecting, Research, Valuation
Go to Top of Page

dodge69

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  3:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seen it at a small gun show and it was gone when I went back for another look. It had a adapter that screwed into the barrel. That part stayed on the barrel and the silencer screwed into that. It was sky high price wise and I did not have the knowledge to know if it was factory installed or what so I left it alone.
I understand now why you might have a need for one on a 32.
Go to Top of Page

dodge69

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  3:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a look at the 32 on gun broker. The gun I seen had a part that I think was a little bigger than that one screwed into the barrel then the silencer screwed into that. I could not understand why the silencer just didn't screw right in to the barrel. The owner said he could shoot it with or without the silencer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page