GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Browning Hi Power
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hunter.b

68 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  4:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Ran across a Belgium stainless Hi Power today.Only one I have ever seen. Can any one tell me any info on this Hi power and value.

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17865 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  6:37:44 PM  Show Profile
It's not stainless. Browning called the finish. "Nickel/Silver Chrome". Made in limited numbers, in the 80's. Much sought after, by collectors now. Should have a Gold trigger, and checkered Walnut grips.

If it's truly excellent condition, (no wear or handling marks). With "Made in Belgium", legend. Might be worth a couple of grand.

Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  11:40:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

It's not stainless. Browning called the finish. "Nickel/Silver Chrome". Made in limited numbers, in the 80's. Much sought after, by collectors now. Should have a Gold trigger, and checkered Walnut grips.

If it's truly excellent condition, (no wear or handling marks). With "Made in Belgium", legend. Might be worth a couple of grand.

Rufe is right on..

Steve Camp was a well respected Hi-Power researcher/collector.. Always been a goto source for info.. He says they were never made in stainless..Most emphatically,I might add

______________________________Stainless Steel Hi Powers
...do not exist if you are speaking of those made by Fabrique Nationale, the original manufacturer of the design. This holds true whether the pistols are sold under either the FN or Browning logo. None of them are stainless...not a single one.

That does not mean that some may not have appeared to have been of stainless-steel construction. Some Hi Powers imported by Browning Arms have sported both electroless-nickle or hard chrome finishes, either of which may be confused with stainless. Electroless-nickle tends to have a slightly yellowish hue to it while hard-chrome does not. It is either white-colored or sometimes appears a very pale light blue.

Several years ago, a company called Baford Arms did produce stainless steel Hi Power style pistols but they have long since gone out of business and there is currently a company in Florida producing both slides and frames of stainless construction. Some aftermarket Hi Power parts have been manufactured in stainless but FN has not manufactured any stainless-steel Hi Powers.

On some auction sites, FN and/or Browning-marked Hi Powers are being advertised as being of stainless steel construction when they simply are not.

Such Hi Powers can indeed be very fine handguns and either electroless-nickle or hard chrome does enhance corrosion-resistance but the pistols are not stainless steel.

Best.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/stainless_steel_hi_powers.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5503 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  06:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Interesting subject. I'm surprised there aren't more with cnc stuff everywhere.

https://books.google.com/books?id=6UwcigaretteAAQBAJ&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=Model+35+Firepower+baford+arms&source=bl&ots=xo_NoTXelE&sig=ZoxnRdsZDroE0VApeXQ91J-73jI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVwduq2ZjZAhUK82MKHaX1CzwQ6AEIPzAD#v=onepage&q=Model%2035%20Firepower%20baford%20arms&f=false

Go to Top of Page

hunter.b

68 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  09:13:36 AM  Show Profile
This gun has a stainless trigger and has the Made in Belgium on the receiver.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17865 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  12:44:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hunter.b

This gun has a stainless trigger and has the Made in Belgium on the receiver.

"FN Browning Pistols", by Vanderlinden. Is the primary reference on Hi-Powers. There was a number of different Hi Powers made, with various nickel and chrome finishes. He does note, that the "Silver-Chrome" H-P has a gold trigger. Yours might be one of the other versions they made?

Go to Top of Page

Bill DeShivs

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  02:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Your trigger isn't "stainless," either.

Bill DeShivs
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  05:45:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeShivs

Your trigger isn't "stainless," either.

I agree-unless it's after market..

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/
Go to Top of Page

hunter.b

68 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  9:15:14 PM  Show Profile
WE HAVE TWO CHROME GUNS AND THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT FINISH WITH THE GOLD TRIGGER. DRILLED THE INSIDE OF THE RECEIVER AND IT IS STAINLESS. I WAS TOLD A COMPANY IN TENN MADE SOME BUT SURELY THEY COULDNT HAVE BROWNING ON THE GUN. ALSO TOLD LEW HORTON'S FIRST GUNS WERE A HI POWER STAINLESS UNTILL THERE WAS A BROWNING LAW SUITE.HOPE TO HEAR FROM BROWNING SOON ON THE SERIAL NUMBERS.IF IT IS A FAKE THEY FOOLED ME . I HAVE 12 DATING FROM THE 30'S.BEST HANDGUN EVER MADE.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17865 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  10:16:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hunter.b

WE HAVE TWO CHROME GUNS AND THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT FINISH WITH THE GOLD TRIGGER. DRILLED THE INSIDE OF THE RECEIVER AND IT IS STAINLESS. I WAS TOLD A COMPANY IN TENN MADE SOME BUT SURELY THEY COULDNT HAVE BROWNING ON THE GUN. ALSO TOLD LEW HORTON'S FIRST GUNS WERE A HI POWER STAINLESS UNTILL THERE WAS A BROWNING LAW SUITE.HOPE TO HEAR FROM BROWNING SOON ON THE SERIAL NUMBERS.IF IT IS A FAKE THEY FOOLED ME . I HAVE 12 DATING FROM THE 30'S.BEST HANDGUN EVER MADE.

Being that you have a number of H-P's. Use a magnet, to see if the one's you believe to be stainless. Have different reaction to the magnet, than the conventional steel H-P's. Stainless steel is actually a alloy, of carbon steel plus chrome and nickel. Depending on the amounts of chrome and nickel, the magnet should have a different pull weigh. Than conventional steel.

Go to Top of Page

Bill DeShivs

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  3:28:58 PM  Show Profile
You drilled the inside of the receiver, and it's stainless?
How do you know it's stainless? Carbon steel and stainless look the same.
Browning made no stainless High Powers.

Bill DeShivs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page