GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Olympians and Disrespect for the Flag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DBV

1905 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched Shaun White win the Gold in Snow-Boarding. Then watched as he draped himself in the Stars and Stripes, then balled it up with his snowboard, drug it on the ground, and even stepped all over it. Really rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by - DBV on 02/14/2018 07:05:06 AM

50-70RB

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was appalled and saddened. I just e-mailed the U.S. Olympic Committee and strongly urged them to get word over there and ensure that no athlete does that for the remainder of the games. The whole world saw it fer cripes sake!!!!

My life went to hell when I started kindergarten-never had a day when I had time to go to work. Now I have that pre-kindergarten freedom.
Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
15376 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
French athletes and their fans:
https://youtu.be/uH78PeWgmh8

When you’re dead, you don’t know you’re dead. All the pain is felt by others.
The same thing happens when you’re stupid.
Go to Top of Page

mag00
Advanced Member

2731 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quit watching the olympdics this year.

I won't watch that or football.

I tried, and there was couples figure skating. Saw one routine, 20 minutes of backstory and 20 minutes of advertising. I'm done.

If anything can go right, it will go right and at the best possible time.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11840 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do wish he had paid more attention. I do not consider him a punk over it. He is someone who put his heart, soul, and tons of hard work into his sport and the opportunity to represent his country in the Olympics. He just came from behind to beat the best competition in the world. The young man was overwhelmed with emotion and out of sorts.

I'll say a reminder is in order, but not a condemnation.

Edited by - SCOUT5 on 02/13/2018 10:32:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
10966 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCOUT5

I do wish he had paid more attention. I do not consider him a punk over it. He is someone who put his heart, soul, and tons of hard work into his sport and the opportunity to represent his country in the Olympics. He just came from behind to beat the best competition in the world. The young man was overwhelmed with emotion and out of sorts.

Agree. The USOC should remind all U.S. athletes that the folks back home are watching and we want to be proud of them.
Go to Top of Page

Wrangler
Advanced Member

USA
4650 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

+1. Guy was emotional because he put everything into that last run to kick arse and get the gold. I can cut the guy some slack. Not like the thugs in the nfl.
Go to Top of Page

fideau
Advanced Member

USA
11830 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was fuming at that too. Wondered if they didn't tell the athletes about flag etiquette. Shouldn't have to be told, but it is a different generation.

Jim

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."
Go to Top of Page

guns-n-painthorses
Advanced Member

6630 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well in his defense he was carrying his snowboard, helment, goggles, and a flag, plus he just came from behind to win gold and his wreck two years ago, plus he has a hundred people trying to shake his hand. Yeah, I'd say overwhelmed bot not trying to be disrespectful to his country.
Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
46479 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses

Well in his defense he was carrying his snowboard, helment, goggles, and a flag, plus he just came from behind to win gold and his wreck two years ago, plus he has a hundred people trying to shake his hand. Yeah, I'd say overwhelmed bot not trying to be disrespectful to his country.

agree. don't like what happened,but it was not intentional

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
46479 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrangler

quote:

+1. Guy was emotional because he put everything into that last run to kick arse and get the gold. I can cut the guy some slack. Not like the thugs in the nfl.

yes

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
36361 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  05:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a reasonable, non emotional assessment. The guy is the first US winter olympian to win 3 individual Gold medals in the same event. I'd say he's represented his country well, and shown heart. An unintentional error in handling the flag in the moment should be forgiven.

Edited by - shilowar on 02/14/2018 06:31:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7432 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  05:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the Olympic training center was still in Colorado Springs...

Back in the day - say 1986 to 1994 time frame from which I can speak of / to personal experience...

When I was still nationally ranked (Presidents 100) and still entering into international competitions (international rules 3 and 4 position smallbore rifle) (50 and 100 meters)

In addition to actual match courses of fire and scientific analysis and intensive coaching we had actual college credit style classroom courses of instruction (we resided in Spartan dorm style college campus shared rooms)

In addition to the expected sports medicine and nutrition and physical training classes we had a course of study that was civics based that included proper flag etiquette and national anthem respect and related topics

How to behave on a podium and when speaking to the press and such...

But that was a long time ago.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18633 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  06:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrmike08075

When the Olympic training center was still in Colorado Springs...

Back in the day - say 1986 to 1994 time frame from which I can speak of / to personal experience...

When I was still nationally ranked (Presidents 100) and still entering into international competitions (international rules 3 and 4 position smallbore rifle) (50 and 100 meters)

In addition to actual match courses of fire and scientific analysis and intensive coaching we had actual college credit style classroom courses of instruction (we resided in Spartan dorm style college campus shared rooms)

In addition to the expected sports medicine and nutrition and physical training classes we had a course of study that was civics based that included proper flag etiquette and national anthem respect and related topics

How to behave on a podium and when speaking to the press and such...

But that was a long time ago.

Mike

Are you saying it's no longer there ???

https://www.teamusa.org/about-the-usoc/olympic-training-centers/csotc/about
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
6148 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  06:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some women just came out with sexual misconduct allegations against Shaun White. He has other problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7432 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  07:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that it had greatly expanded and that many functions had relocated...

Specifically the shooting sports related event specific functions.

There was quite a bit of international exchange program stuff taking place - the sanctioning bodies were holding coaches conferences and class c coaches certification

My father received his class c coaches / instructors ratings via sanctioned conferences that awarded certificates and accreditation / issued credentials

I was lucky - they selected a number of shooting sports athletes to use as test dummies - by the various international coaches and instructors and since we (kids - shooters) were immersed in the course of study they allowed us to take the tests and issued credentials and certificates to us if we passed.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31747 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  09:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hey YOU....get off my lawn!! Damn kids!"

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

12266 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  10:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mag00

I quit watching the olympdics this year.

I won't watch that or football.

I tried, and there was couples figure skating. Saw one routine, 20 minutes of backstory and 20 minutes of advertising. I'm done.

+1

I am so sick and tired of seeing these "Athletes" be disrespectful of the flag and out country. I am also sick of hearing their dumbass comments and seeing them disrespect the VPOTUS because he is a christian or because he doesn't bow to some DPRNK bitch.

So I am quitting all sports, I even gave a few bucks to support the Olympics at one time, no more. Why should I support people who hate my country.

bleen them

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

riflemike
Advanced Member

USA
7850 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  10:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

this...did he kneel when anthem was played ...maybe hasnt been played yet but my guess he will not

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death.

Edited by - riflemike on 02/14/2018 10:45:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  11:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wpageabc

Some women just came out with sexual misconduct allegations against Shaun White. He has other problems.

A snowboarder being accused of sexual misconduct, unbelievable
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50200 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  12:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy to give him a pass on it. I'm sure he was so emotionally and physically exhausted that proper flag care was the last thing on his mind.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33069 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  12:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FED UP with so called special skilled people pizzing on the crew, team, outfit, or country that GAVE THEM THE CHANCE to dance on the yellow brick road in the spotlight
Go to Top of Page

Hunter Mag
Advanced Member

USA
6951 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White apologizes
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/shaun-white-apologizes-for-letting-american-flag-drag-on-the-ground-after-winning-gold/ar-BBJ6I0d?li=BBnb7Kz

quote:
“I remember being handed the flag. I was trying to put my gloves on and hold the flag and the board,” he said. “Honestly, if there was anything, I definitely didn’t mean any disrespect. The flag that’s flying on my house right now is way up there. Sorry for that. But I’m definitely proud — very proud — to be a part of Team USA and being an American and to be representing for everyone back home.”

Remember this quote... "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

riflemike
Advanced Member

USA
7850 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  1:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by droptop

quote:
Originally posted by wpageabc

A snowboarder being accused of sexual misconduct, unbelievable

you know a lot of snowboarders do you???....need names

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death.
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
44200 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  2:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Mag

White apologizes
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/shaun-white-apologizes-for-letting-american-flag-drag-on-the-ground-after-winning-gold/ar-BBJ6I0d?li=BBnb7Kz

quote:
“I remember being handed the flag. I was trying to put my gloves on and hold the flag and the board,” he said. “Honestly, if there was anything, I definitely didn’t mean any disrespect. The flag that’s flying on my house right now is way up there. Sorry for that. But I’m definitely proud — very proud — to be a part of Team USA and being an American and to be representing for everyone back home.”

This is good to know.

What's next

A couple of favorite quotes:

"What goes around comes around."

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50200 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  2:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

White apologizes

quote:

He said more than was necessary.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

11703 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  2:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kimi

quote:

White apologizes

quote:

This is good to know.

What I thought..good news/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page