GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Snowboarding...Olympics (????)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31747 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so the wife and I are sitting down trying to watch some of the Olympics on NBC. It's snowboarding...okay, we'll watch that (for a few).

So I'm watching, and listening to this broadcast, and suddenly I realize none of this is in English...at least not any English I ever learned.

Here's a sample of what I heard...

"Ladies and gentlemen here we are at the Phoenix Snow Park for the Olympic mens Halfpipe event. American competitor Shawn White is in the lead for the gold! This is a spectacular event, ladies and gentlemen, the tension in the air is just riveting! Shawn White will be coming up shortly, but up next at the starting gate is Joe Schnebbly Schnebbolpolis from Portland, Oregon...the Americans are taking this competition by storm!

And he's off!! Here he comes down through the first pass. OH MY GAWD...it's a 1240, with a 1651 twenty and the grab was fantastic...just LOOK at that form! Off the 2nd jump...THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE...it's a 1440, with two 1650's BACK TO BACK, a 1271, a 1385 and, get this, a SUPERPLEX! This is too much, folks!! Off the 3rd "difficulty" it's, OH JEEZUS H. CHRIST, he did a 1697 with a 2150 on the backside and a DOUBLE NUT-SACK GRAB, and unbelievably a half nelson with a 624 and 21 combination into a FULL SUICIDE 9943...THIS IS JUST UNBELIEVABLE, FOLKS!!

And here he comes for the finish...we already know this is gonna' be good (thud)...(different voice) Sorry folks, my partner just had a major brain aneurysm, but this competition is really just that incredible...okay, so here he comes.....OH MY GAWD, OH MY GAWD...OH-MY-GAWD...HE NAILED IT...a complete inverted, turn yourself inside out, nut-sack grab, twisting 5150, with a 1229.5 and...and...and...a 8355 with an unbelievable juice-hog 83 coupled with an unleaded 80 bazillion, his signature move, and a Kirasame Nakamoto inverted flying nuclear crab, with an affliction embellishment, and a double 1461 face plant!! INCREDIBLE!! ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!"

I'm sitting there asking myself...WTH did they just say???

(and it was just exactly like this through the entire broadcast!!...some kind of foreign language! I mean figure skating used to be bad enough, but at least they say things like "triple axle" (even though nobody knows what an 'axle' is) at least you can see a 'triple' something or other. The "Twisted S*L*u*t" always confused me, or maybe it was a "Triple Lutz", I dunno...but this snowboarding stuff is just off the rails in my book!

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 02/13/2018 11:55:42 PM

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44991 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  12:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm Stoked!

A 1440 is a quadruple spin.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

5907 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  12:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 1080 sounds like more than a triple

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31747 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  01:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a "Punjab 8193 (and a quarter) with a left handed nut twist followed by an inverse 9126 Pythagorean division by zero kidney punch spleen excision and a hip thrust embellishment"...is what???

I mean like, am I supposed to get out my algebra book, Gray's Anatomy or an Indian cultural history book to figure that out????

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 02/14/2018 01:13:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

HandLoad
Advanced Member

15225 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  01:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why, My Nads are Like, Towtally Chuffed!!!

Laudate Nomen!
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
36376 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  04:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FCD they are not speaking to your generation. Perhaps you should stick to curling, sounds more your speed.

I watched some skeleton this morning. Those broads have balls of steel....face first, 80 mph down an ice chute, face 3" off the ice. Totally bad assery!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50200 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FCD, I figured someone with your background would know multiples and fractions of 360.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

riflemike
Advanced Member

USA
7852 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  11:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shilowar

FCD they are not speaking to your generation. Perhaps you should stick to curling, sounds more your speed.

I watched some skeleton this morning. Those broads have balls of steel....face first, 80 mph down an ice chute, face 3" off the ice. Totally bad assery!!!

curling is to intense (finger nail chewing) for me...i cant watch it

but some serious balls of steel for the jumpers...

you see the accident shawn white kid that won had ..hurts to watch..at about the :40 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRLM61dV9Ng

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death.

Edited by - riflemike on 02/14/2018 12:05:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33074 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  1:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
foghorn leghorn fractured funnies.. if you could announce like this you would N O T have to drive a truck
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
10966 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  3:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's like when a newb tries to follow the action in hockey or football.
Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8232 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  4:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure looks like the English I learned in school.
Go to Top of Page

truthful

275 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  8:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snowboarding has the same problem as ice skating. The winners and losers are largely determined by a panel of judges. How silly to see a boarder do a great ride but lose points because he didn't hold his grip on the board edge as long as the judges think he should. As someone said, if it can't be measured, or timed, it sholdn't be an Olympic sport.
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
6161 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  8:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howard Cosell would have called it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

Smitty500mag
Advanced Member

USA
9841 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  11:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't watch any of it except for the women's Camel Toe Luge racing.

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44991 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dakotashooter2

A 1080 sounds like more than a triple

360 x 3 = 1080

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44991 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truthful

Snowboarding has the same problem as ice skating. The winners and losers are largely determined by a panel of judges. How silly to see a boarder do a great ride but lose points because he didn't hold his grip on the board edge as long as the judges think he should. As someone said, if it can't be measured, or timed, it sholdn't be an Olympic sport.

Good Point. Would that make curling, which is timed in weeks, the ultimate Olympic sport?

Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8232 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  06:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

quote:
Originally posted by truthful

Good Point. Would that make curling, which is timed in weeks, the ultimate Olympic sport?

Hey now! Curling gives every pot bellied guy who's ever swept his driveway the hope and dream of becoming an Olympic athlete. Besides, drinking beer is a tradition in the sport of Curling.
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31747 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  06:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, any sports with points for "form" are subjective and shouldn't really be Olympic sports.

It's all part of the 'everyone gets a medal' mentality.

Figure skating may the be one possible exception, because at least they have pre-planned moves which they have to execute and if they don't they lose points (not gain them).

The foundation of the Olympic Games concept was a "win/lose" competition, not one of opinion.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Go to Top of Page

320090T

USA
2291 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  08:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snowboarders are nothing. A fell off my bicycle last year and did most of those tricks before I landed.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44991 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  10:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 320090T

Snowboarders are nothing. A fell off my bicycle last year and did most of those tricks before I landed.

Maybe so, but no doubt you lost points for poor amplitude.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page