Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines Message Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums Message Forums
 Ask the Experts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

42 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  10:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had experience dealing with the Spanish FR-8? Fairly accurate rifles? Cheaply made? Just some general information is needed. I posted earlier about trading a MAS 36/51 for a Madsen, sort of an unrealistic offer in hindsight. Therefore I figured the MAS would be of equal value to an FR-8, maybe worth a little more. I checked out the completed auctions for a 36/51 and was kind of surprised by the prices. I bought mine last year for $375 still in packaging from the armory, even had the armory tag still on it. I’ve only fired about 40 rounds out of it so it’s still fairly new.

Advanced Member

17900 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never shot one. My understanding though, because of the short barrel and combination grenade launcher/muzzle brake. Really ugly, as a shooter.

Supposedly the Spanish when they were designing the Cetme, were using a unique under powdered 7.62 X 51 cartridge. With a 125 grain bullet, at a reduced muzzle velocity. This was the same cartridge, that was to be used in the FR 8. That's why firing NATO standard 7.62 x 51 ammo, in a FR 8 is no fun.

Go to Top of Page

2410 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  11:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Own examples of both. Insofar as quality goes, French or not the 36/51 is superior. If yours was, like mine, arsenal new (this run of imports were never issued...same with my 49/56) then condition on the FR-8 is likely lower as well. Provided it is well maintained, shooting it some should not reduce the condition appreciably so it will always likely be increasing more in value than the Spaniard. The aforementioned reduced 7.62 load for it should be respected if for no other reason than it's pretty gnarly shooting Radway Green outa one of those things. The 36/51 (I assume still in 7.5 x 54?) has pretty good sights even if the front sight is a bit coarse. Forward swept bolt handle is interesting to say the least, and hey, the grenade launcher makes an otherwise somewhat homely rifle look kinda cool I think. Interesting bayonet. All in all, I would keep the 36/51 and pass on the FR-8. To each his own though...

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you. Be afraid of nothing. There is such a little time…” Richard Halliburton
Go to Top of Page

Advanced Member

8224 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Advanced Member

8625 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  08:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Have fired and observed a number of these rifles. They are rather unusual looking. Just about every example I have seen has been in VG+ to nearly new condition.
As far as how they perform at the range, I have found they shoot quite well with a rest. 3" groups with good reloads.

Yes they are loud. The only thing I do not like is the rear sight. IMHO the rear sight sucks and not good at all for any precision shooting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page