GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 Brass Update ,,,,,
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18783 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  05:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted in the past about some new Nosler brass that had what I call 'clinch' marks on the interior base,,,(each is a raised elongated 'bump')

At the time Nosler said it had something to do with their inventory control,,,,,, Albeit, Nononsense checked his inventory and did not find any with 'clinch' marks.

Finally finished trying all the brass with my pet loads for accuracy in a 'known' rifle.

The best grouping was still 2"+ at 100yds. Reloads with Win. brass, on the same day, were 5/8" or less.

The below sectioned brass photo illustrates what all the brass looked like.

Don't see any more Nosler brass in my future.

Edited by - forgemonkey on 04/12/2018 06:01:46 AM

hillbille
Advanced Member

7628 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  07:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forge I am no expert but was wondering, how would those "clinch marks" affect accuracy????
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18783 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  08:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbille

forge I am no expert but was wondering, how would those "clinch marks" affect accuracy????

Wish I had empirical evidence but I don't. However, studying everything the 'big boys' do, concerning MOA at distance, with their brass, bullets, primers, powder, etc. I hesitate to think any abnormal interior case mods are beneficial.

An uneducated guess would be the interior combustion dynamics would be altered in a negative way. I do know the Win. brass reloads(identical loads) shot considerably better during the same session.

Maybe Nononsence will offer some insight re internal case ignition.

Edited by - forgemonkey on 04/14/2018 05:49:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5557 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  4:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree if the marks were all the way around the effect might be lessened.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

10019 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  11:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forgemonkey,

quote:
Maybe Nononsence will offer some insight re internal case ignition.

Maybe but I can't guarantee anything just yet.

I have been involved with some VERY tedious cartridge testing in order to resolve some issues with custom reamers and the chambers gained from certain features. Unfortunately, this involves just about every flavor brass currently available (see use of tedious...). Every bullet gets weighed, measured and sorted, every case is weight sorted and cross sorted by volume. Every charge is weighed with no carry overs to the following day. All work is done in a climate controlled room with only the group testing taking place outdoors.

A couple of things came to our notice almost immediately:

Not all Nosler brass is 'made in America'. There is a substantial amount being made by your favorite trade partner who shall remain nameless.

Not all cases of the cartridge from different manufacturers have the same case capacity. Sometimes it is radically different.

Nosler must combine some of the offshore manufactured brass with the current run of American made brass. In one shipment of 5,000 piece of brass in 50-pc boxes, some boxes showed the above 'clinch' marks, while other boxes did not. So when Nosler states that these marks are for 'inventory control', I now have a tendency to believe them since they can discern the difference between foreign made brass from the U.S. brass.

The clinch marks will cause turbulence during ignition and depending on the powder position, can yield variable results as noted above by forgemonkey. Watch any of the educational videos illustrating the ignition of powder in a cartridge case. Now imagine those turbine-like protrusions causing a swirling but lopsided effect from the ignition.

Interestingly enough though, we tested some refined loads in both Winchester Red Bag brass against Nosler U.S. made brass. The Winchester cases held 1-1/2 grains more powder by weight than the Nosler did but when we adjusted the Nosler load for pressure, the Nosler shot the best groups.

The notes from all these tests will cover several hundred pages and take the better part of the rest of the year to organize.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18783 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  11:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you, Sir ,,,,,,,,,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lacking any testing equipment I'm in the dark re the pressure differences between the two manufacturers,,,,,,,,, so, I rely on target results.
Go to Top of Page

243winxb

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  08:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nosler should do this. > Some US GI cartridge cases are run on SCAMP (Small Caliber Ammunition Modernization Program) lines. This is HIGH speed cartridge case making equipment. Several lines of SCAMP machinery may be used to run cases thru out the year, or on the same lot/year of ammo. Those dots identify which SCAMP line.

Your brass looks like it needs the flash hole uniformed.

Edited by - 243winxb on 04/18/2018 09:00:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18783 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

^^^^^^^ that brass was sectioned as new, was never to be 'loaded',,,,,,,all the loaded brass did have the flash holes uniformed, sized, chamfered, etc. And still produced sub par results,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page