GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Old Friends are the Best Friends
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24780 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  8:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My old radar operator from VP-50 and his wife stopped by today. We had lunch together in town and caught up on the past five years.
They were in their 40 foot land liner heading from Texas to Stone Mountain for a jamboree.
He's a captain with United and only has a few more years before he retires.

He used to always bug the pilots for some seat time on the transits out and while he was learning to fly, I would run radar.

We laughed and told his wife about some of the stunts we pulled. She's a retired cop so she lives in reality too. Great gal.

Shared experiences, daredevil stunts, putting your lives into each others hands with complete confidence. This is why the Navy has crews. We would guest star sometimes with another crew if a man was out, but cohesion made use killing machines par excellence at our jobs. Lots of VN vets have told me they were the same way.
Brothers in arms forever.

They will go back to Texas via I-20, but God willing we'll see each other again in another five years.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

fideau
Advanced Member

USA
11902 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  8:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except when they are dead.

Jim

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24780 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  08:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fideau

Except when they are dead.

That doesn't stop them from being a friend. As long as one man alive that remembers, they still exist.
It's too bad no one else here can relate to that.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page