In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

goodbye old V2

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
loyal and faithful for 11 years, you made them their million and look what you get in the end. lifes lesson here. farewell faithful servant.[^]
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    i know i hate that its gonna be gone, i am sooooooo not a fan of then new one but hey, they dont let me make the decisions yet
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Maybe they could give it to "highball"[:D]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    you making liquid fuel rockets in your spare time???
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Maybe they could give it to "highball"[:D]

Funny but since he never used the auction side (EVER)it wouldn't make much difference....
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too resisted change right away and continued using V2 for awhile after V4 came out but for about the last year I only used V4 and like everything else you get used to it. There were a few things I hated about it right away is why I kept using V2 but to be honest as I am sitting here I can't even remember what I didn't like.

Just start using it and in a few weeks you won't even notice the things you don't(didn't) like.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CHANGE ! we have the
    where have i heard that statement before? how did it turn out you ask. not to well i think[xx(]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Dont, wont and have not missed it at all.

...I liked V2 but let it go while Beta testing the new version, found I liked the new version better.

Glad to see V2 go away, then all the sniveling will stop too...[:D]

Living in the past is unhealthy and a death knell for a business that depends on software to compete at a high level in the fast paced and ever changing net marketplace...when you snooze you loose...[;)]
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    V2 has been around for a very long time. Some of the code probably went back to 2002 or earlier. The problem was that V2 was written in C++ and COM, technologies that Microsoft is phasing out and will at some point cease to support.

We made a substantial multi-year investment to completely re-write the entire code base into Microsoft's .NET platform and the result is the V4 site. Moving to .NET brings GunBroker.com onto the platform that Microsoft is investing in. .NET allows us to fix bugs and add features far more quickly. We have some really useful tools and features in various states of development that will be released soon.

Being forced to support two platforms (V2 and V4) held us back because V2 could not support certain features without extensive reprogramming which was a waste of effort for a dead end platform.

V2 has been a workhorse and will always be a part of GunBroker history. However, like black and white TV her time came and went. Retiring V2 gives us the freedom to enhance and add value to the GunBroker.com platform to make buying and selling an easier task.