In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Abortion DR shot and killed

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I don't personally believe in abortion, but I also don't think the government should make laws regarding it in any way. I think the woman or her family should make that choice and live with their personal consequenses here and in the afterlife. That said, I feel it is really stupid to murder someone to prevent them from performing abortions. It doesn't make sense to me

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    His name is Dr George Tiller and he was one of the few MD's that performed late term abortions. I'm surpised he made it this long with all of the lunatics out there.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Did it say what church the perp was from???
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    where at?

Wichita KS
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    While I don't endorse the murder of this non-doctor, I won't miss him any more than I would miss any other mass murderer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hawkeye6020
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    where at?

Wichita KS
    In front of the Church.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought docs were supposed to subscribe to the Hippocratic Oath, which follows:

The Hippocratic Oath: Classical Version

I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art-if they desire to learn it-without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but no one else.

I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.

What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself, holding such things shameful to be spoken about.

If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

Translation from the Greek by Ludwig Edelstein. From The Hippocratic Oath: Text, Translation, and Interpretation, by Ludwig Edelstein. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, 1943.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WICHITA, Kansas -- Dr. George Tiller, a Kansas doctor whose clinic received national attention for performing late-term abortions, was shot to death as he entered his Wichita church on Sunday.

"Members of the congregation who were inside the sanctuary at the time of the shooting were being kept inside the church by police," the Wichita Eagle reported, "and those arriving were being ushered into the parking lot."

Media reports said the suspected killer fled the scene in a blue Taurus. Police described him as a white male in his 50s or 60s.

Tiller has been among the few U.S. physicians performing late-term abortion, making him a favored target of anti-abortion protesters. He testified that he and his family have suffered years of harassment and threats. His clinic was the site of the 1991 "Summer of Mercy" protests marked by mass demonstrations and arrests. His clinic was bombed in 1985, and an abortion opponent shot him in both arms in 1993.

Tiller's clinic also provided group and individual counseling, as well as chaplain and funeral services for people who were grieving.

The anti-abortion group Operation Rescue, which runs a "Tiller Watch" feature on its website, released a statement condemning the shooting. "We are shocked at this morning's disturbing news that Mr. Tiller was gunned down. Operation Rescue has worked for years through peaceful, legal means, and through the proper channels to see him brought to justice. We denounce vigilantism and the cowardly act that took place this morning. We pray for Mr. Tiller's family that they will find comfort and healing that can only be found in Jesus Christ."

Tiller remained prominent in the news in recent years, in part because of an investigation begun by former Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline, an abortion opponent.

Prosecutors had alleged that Tiller had gotten second opinions from a doctor who was essentially an employee of his, not independent as state law requires, but a jury in March acquitted him of all 19 misdemeanor counts against him.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Their will just be another to take his place. Wile i do believe a woman should have a choice, i don't think murdering abortion Dr.s is going to stop the practice.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tiller provided a service for those women that REQUESTED it....bad day in kansas which hasn't enacted the death penalty on the books for 30+ years....hope this gets a change over the hump.. this act was done in sunday morning church so that will probably be called divine retribution by those that don't approve of his line of work...kansas should have executed the carr brothers for their horrific crimes but the bleeding heart liberals can't approve this....i detest those that have all the answers as to the RIGHT way for everyone else to live...no different than the taliban
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    While I don't endorse the murder of this non-doctor, I won't miss him any more than I would miss any other mass murderer.

+1

Facts are facts...and you stated several very clearly...although I hate to see anyone choose Hell for eternity...and while I do not know this man, I cannot imagine him to be a Christian...imo.
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    I just want all of you to know this:

I am pro-CHOICE.

I believe that we should make that choice BEFORE we unzip our pants.

After conception, it is not the
    "woman's body" that she then "has control of", but a human life that is either murdered or nurtured.

This, of course, is just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kinda funny to see you "Christians" condoning his murder...[:D][:D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Abortion should be legal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    His name is Dr George Tiller and he was one of the few MD's that performed late term abortions. I'm surpised he made it this long with all of the lunatics out there.

he was shot in the early 90's by a different would be assasin. I guess he was hit in both arms. He must have had real convictions to continue doing the late term abortions after such a wake-up call
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh i see it was in the name of god, ok carry on
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    I don't personally believe in abortion, but I also don't think the government should make laws regarding it in any way. I think the woman or her family should make that choice and live with their personal consequenses here and in the afterlife. That said, I feel it is really stupid to murder someone to prevent them from performing abortions. It doesn't make sense to me

Pretty much agree with you 100%.

Murdering this guy won't change anything, and the guy that did it better be prepared to spend the rest of his life in prison.
    He was caught, so it's too late for him to "off" himself.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tiller shot dead huh? Well despite the murders that he committed, killing him was not the right thing to do.
    This sort of thing does not reflect well on gun owners, nor does it help our cause having a firearm used against one of the heroes of the liberal party.
  • Options
    cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have often wondered why those that scream loudest about abortion are the ones that arent having the baby. MEN.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it highly ironic that despite being one of the most, if not THE most religious industiral/civilized nations on this planet, we have one of the latest terms in which abortions are legal.

IIRC most industrial nations only allow "at will" abortions through the 1st trimester, after that they are permitted if the mother's life/health is in jeopardy
  • Options
    Joe3456Joe3456 Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im against abortion but I dont think the guy deserved to be murdered. Either way Im sure he's regretting his past actions now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Kinda funny to see you "Christians" condoning his murder...[:D][:D]

Who here is condoning his murder???
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootertutor

After conception, it is not the
    "woman's body" that she then "has control of", but a human life that is either murdered or nurtured.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

this has dangerous implications...

Are we to assume that after conception the woman has no function, no reason to live outside of bringing the child to term???

Should she be locked up for, let's say, going skydiving very early in the term (perhaps when she does not even know she is pregnant)? What about if she rides on a motorcycle or in a sports car with her husband/boyfriend?
    Should the man decide what is "too dangerous" for her to do?
    should THE STATE???
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166

that is just terrible news, dog gone, the Lord must have aborted him
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cactuspete1
    I have often wondered why those that scream loudest about abortion are the ones that arent having the baby. MEN.

I think becasuse women get to make all the choices and men can do nothing about it. say a guy got a woman pregnant. it is up to here if she wants to carry it to term if she wants to abort the pregnancy, the man cannot stop her even though the child growing inside her is his child too. Conversly, if the man doesn't want to become a father, he has no ability to opt out by aborting the child or at least evading the financial responsibility of his actions. Women are given all the choices involving their pregnancy and men are given none. women are in charge of effective birth control and they may or may not tell the truth where preventive measures are concerned. If you ask me, the whole system needs to be revamped and a man should have some say in whether he becomes a father at least financially.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best news I've heard all week, and I say that as someone who doesn't subscribe to any religion. You don't have to believe Jesus Christ is the son of God to be repulsed by late-term abortions.

Tiller was a monster, plain and simple.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by cartod

Kinda funny to see you "Christians" condoning his murder...

Absolutely. Show us a quote, please. No one condoned the murder of the murdering non-doctor. I was probably made the most vicious and virulent statement against him when I said I would not miss him. I won't mourn him either.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, very strange, he kills for a living, then he is at church? Very strange.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Best news I've heard all week, and I say that as someone who doesn't subscribe to any religion. You don't have to believe Jesus Christ is the son of God to be repulsed by late-term abortions.

Tiller was a monster, plain and simple.

I will shed no tears over him, but it is still murder no matter how you look at it.

BTW,......I never heard of the guy in all honesty.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

Absolutely. Show us a quote, please.

I'll save you all the trouble.

I'll condone it.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Most of you need to throw away the Bible and pick up the Koran. Wait, the Bible is just as bloodthirsty isn't it? They kill First Borns all the time in it. [:0][;)]

Anyone that condones killing babies or doctors is a fiend and needs to be put away from human beings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nikon999
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Most of you need to throw away the Bible and pick up the Koran. Wait, the Bible is just as bloodthirsty isn't it? They kill First Borns all the time in it. [:0][;)]

Anyone that condones killing babies or doctors is a fiend and needs to be put away from human beings.

What does the Bible have to do with this ? I thought it was a natural human response to want to save innocent human life ?

I see you're new to these parts nikon999, so I'll explain. You see P3skyking, aka Emo Boy, has some very profound emotional problems. Whatever is posted here, Christians or the Bible, or Church is always to blame. Do not ask him logical or ethical questions. He runs purely on his bitter emotions.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nikon999
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

What does the Bible have to do with this ? I thought it was a natural human response to want to save innocent human life ?

I don't believe it's a natural human response to save anyone except maybe your children. Most people would just as soon kill you for fun and take what you have. That's what savages do and always have.
    Laws and religion were made up to govern your behavior in a tribe. It sure doesn't sound as if murder should be a crime by some of these posters.
  • Options
    Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd post my response, but the black vans in front of the house are taking up all the parking spaces.....
  • Options
    lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't judge the man who shot him too harshly ---
    After all he did not
    RIP TILLERS ARMS AND LEGS OFF WHILE HE
    WAS STILL ALIVE ---

Lee
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    abort73.jpg

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

[xx(]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never can get why it is OK to kill the doctor but not the babies?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To many good people dying every day to worry about the likes of Tiller. Now, unless some here don't think that there are two sides to every story I got a news flash, there are ! I'll quote " I wish no man harm but I must admit that I've read some obituaries with great pleasure"
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now they will go after Bill O'Reilly, cuz Bill was real critical of him. I think he ( his late term abortions ) was also the subject of a Law that got vetoed by a Liberal Gov.

So here is a man who specialized in killing defenseless humans.....

The political impact will be felt by gun rights folks and Bible Christians... interesting, the Lutheran Church has a wishy-washy position about abortion...."It is wrong unless you just gotta do it."

You know, I feel sadder for regular people who meet death due to unexpected violence.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lee_dan
    Don't judge the man who shot him too harshly ---
    After all he did not
    RIP TILLERS ARMS AND LEGS OFF WHILE HE
    WAS STILL ALIVE ---

Lee
    He probably didn't punch a hole in the back of his head and suck his brain out either.