.

Neighbors could discipline kids w/out suits,etc.

eboydelleboydell Member Posts: 10,988
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
When I was growing up, if I did something dumb...like break a glass with a baseball, my neighbor would walk me home, and tell my parents. Boy! Would I get a beating. Then I would have to pay for the glass and apolize for my general stupidity. Now, you can't tell a kid anything or the police are all over you. This "new society" has kids with absolutely no respect or discipline. This is 99.9% of the problems with gangs today...no parental guidance. I can just picture coming home, dressed like an idiot, and telling my father "It's my gang colors". I would have been knocked unconsciencious.[;)]
«1

Comments

  • Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
    edited November -1
    more than likely his dad would have beat him for being in a rival gang to his[:D]
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Society is a-changin', and not for the best.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    It is a serious mess, but it's not just the kids who use the system. I have been involved in numerous situations where a PARENT is the one seeking to have the police/courts control the child.

    The courts have become the parents and whenever a judge complains about that fact, I am always quick to point out that the parents are restrained from any corporal punishment. The parents are forced into using the courts to dish out punishment for the young thugs.

    Throw in drug abuse and one parent families and you have a tasty little stew...
  • eboydelleboydell Member Posts: 10,988
    edited November -1
    My father was in the Marine Corps from 1942-1946 in the Pacific. He was a large man who spoke at one volume...LOUD! One New Years Eve, it was raining, so I thought it was a good idea to shoot all of the fireworks in the garage, then burn all of the trash in the garage. WAS I WRONG! The next thing I felt was my father picking me up by my collar, and was beating the heck out of me. It entire time he was "explaining" to me how my decision was wrong...NOT! He was calling me every name under the sun. His favor saying was: "YOU MUST HAVE bababooey FOR BRAINS!" Guess what, I never started a fire in the garage again.[;)]
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    ... I can just picture coming home, dressed like an idiot, and telling my father "It's my gang colors". . . .


    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that fewer than 1 in 10 youth gang members have ever even met their father.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mateo is so right..What else ya gonna do when the court won't let you teach your own kids? If you can't do it, who's left??
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Beating of a child is never an answer, there're other methods of discipline, but beating a child is what turns him later into a gang member.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Spare the rod, spoil the child.

    Truer words were never spoken.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 20,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Beating of a child is never an answer, there're other methods of discipline, but beating a child is what turns him later into a gang member.

    Yep, that's what happened to me. I turned into a fat, middle-aged, member of the over the hill gang. Never been in serious trouble in my life. My mom's 87 and she'll still beat my * if I was to.
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Parents? How many kids today actually have both parents living under the same roof?
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    Spare the rod, spoil the child.

    Truer words were never spoken.


    My version is "spare the spoil, rod the child".

    As far as beating someone makes them joina gang? BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS (x1000) Utter nonsense.

    Henry is correct NO father figure (mostly) or little/no discipline.

    There was a study done some years ago where Rhesus Monkeys were seperated from their fathers and male monkey father figures at a very young age - they acted almost exactly like the inner-city youths of today that are in gangs and constantly getting into trouble.

    Kids need strong discipline, including corporal punishment when appropriate.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    sad. I am not against discipline, but it's sad to see such a reaction.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member, Moderator Posts: 29,888 ******
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't have anyone but me and my husband EVER decide to discipline my kids. People can lecture and discuss behaviour with my three and the teachers and faculty of our school have my permission to spank my three if they feel needed (but never have needed to).....because I leave my three in their care each day. BUT Since I am available and easy to contact if anyone may need me I do not expect to ever have another person put their hands on my children for any reason.

    Now....if any of my three do anything to need the attention of a third party contacting me......LORD HELP THEM.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at [email protected]
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    are we going to go into how good the old days were? yes they were good but they are past, its not what happened in the past, its what you do in the present that dictates the future.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Few parents teach kids respect anymore. Only self.



    -Edited to remove the words "nobody teaches..."
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member, Moderator Posts: 29,888 ******
    edited November -1
    You haven't met my three.....they are kids....but respectful kids....not perfect....but not out of control goober-heads like some I have been around.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at [email protected]
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Beating of a child is never an answer, there're other methods of discipline, but beating a child is what turns him later into a gang member.

    Yep, that's what happened to me. I turned into a fat, middle-aged, member of the over the hill gang. Never been in serious trouble in my life. My mom's 87 and she'll still beat my * if I was to.


    And that's the proof of how well it works since you're so secure, objective and mature that you immediately took it on account of self.

    That's the first thing that happens to child's psyche when you beat a him/her -- narcissism and insecurity, both go hand in hand.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member, Moderator Posts: 29,888 ******
    edited November -1
    I would guess that I have spanked my kids less than 5 times each in their whole lives. It was never a real "beating" more like one swift swat on the rear to enforce what I was saying. You can talk til you are blue in the face sometimes....but one good swat on the rump at the right time will work wonders. At a certain age its just rediculous (and you realize you didn't decide they had outgrown all of that....they just did and you never noticed.)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at [email protected]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 20,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Beating of a child is never an answer, there're other methods of discipline, but beating a child is what turns him later into a gang member.

    Yep, that's what happened to me. I turned into a fat, middle-aged, member of the over the hill gang. Never been in serious trouble in my life. My mom's 87 and she'll still beat my * if I was to.


    And that's the proof of how well it works since you're so secure, objective and mature that you immediately took it on account of self.

    That's the first thing that happens to child's psyche when you beat a him/her -- narcissism and insecurity, both go hand in hand.

    Whatever you say
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    but not out of control goober-heads like some I have been around.


    And whose fault would that be that some are "out of control goober-heads". I know I am swimming against current here, but still, if you can't control your (not you personally, LF) child by other means than beating him/her -- the problem is with your methods then and you're just punishing your child for your own incompetence. There's not much else to it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I do not believe in letting the government tell me how to raise my kids!

    Do not get me wrong, I in no way would ever condone child abuse! But gosh-darn-it if my kids do something to deserve a swat on the rear or two I am going to give it to them!

    I am in no way too strict with my kids. In fact I probly let them get away with too much! But they are respectfull to others and know that it is expected of them to be respectfull.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 20,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    but not out of control goober-heads like some I have been around.


    And whose fault would that be that some are "out of control goober-heads". I know I am swimming against current here, but still, if you can't control your (not you personally, LF) child by other means than beating him/her -- the problem is with your methods then and you're just punishing your child for your own incompetence. There's not much else to it.

    Right, again.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    GRD, I don't think government involvement is an issue of this conversation at all. I don't know if spanking a child solves anything but creates more problems, not to mention beatings. Well, I keep on editing this and the message gets shorter and shorter, probably what I gotta say isn't for an internet forum :)
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    Sneaky youve got mail, i also did email doug, but he has not since emailed me back, i guess im out of the clique.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Oh no! not mail announcements again! [:p]
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member, Moderator Posts: 29,888 ******
    edited November -1
    I tried the time out thing....and its not something that worked with ours. Each child of mine has been SOOOOO different. My oldest is "the evil genious" she taught herself to read before kindergarden and she had to discuss every....little....thing....to the very end and isn't bad....just too dang smart for her own good.

    The second came along and she is an ANGEL....but I think she is so good some of the time JUST to make the other two look bad.

    The third is our baby...and he is so playing that part til the end. He will fall to peices if you so much as raise your voice to him. Its only been at the times that there were TWO or more of our kids that just wouldn't give it up.....they push and push until a swat on the rump is just deserved.

    We never have said....I am giving you a spanking....get over here and bend over. Its been the kinds of things where you have the two that are fussing right there in front of you and someone just INSISTS on calling the other one "freakin brat-face-but-hole"
    And I just spin the little scudder around and....(spat).....then go back to trying to giving my puckered lip lecture that they were ignoring until the swat on the rump....then they listen.

    They are goofy little people at times....but great fun....even when one is being a brat-face-but-hole.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at [email protected]
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    do you need a spankin Now Kasey?[;)][:)][;)]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Just curious, SNEAKY, do you have kids?
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Ah, yeah, the last card... No, I don't.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member, Moderator Posts: 29,888 ******
    edited November -1
    I am not being a brat-faced-but-hole (right now)....but wait a bit and I may be in a while....lets just see.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at [email protected]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Ah, yeah, the last card... No, I don't.


    Quit being so defensive SNEAKY. It is unbecoming and demonstrates a lack of control and inability to think cogently. I know, as it is often a fault of mine.

    I wanted to know because it seems the parents on this thread are lining up on the side of spanking, and the non-parents on the other.

    I think somebody set you off by using the word "beating." Beating, if one takes the word literally, is never condoned. However, I believe a spanking is a good parenting tool when used properly.

    I have to spank less and less frequently as mine get older. Because I spanked (never in anger!) when they were young, I found that they no longer needed it when they got older. They learn where the boundaries are. They also kind of appreciate it in a way if administered correctly. It shows you care about their development as a good person.

    If you are blessed with children someday, I think you will understand.

    Nah...


    [:p]
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Beating of a child is never an answer, there're other methods of discipline, but beating a child is what turns him later into a gang member.

    Sorry, got to disagree. It should not be the first or only means of disipline or correction but it does have its place.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Ah, yeah, the last card... No, I don't.


    Quit being so defensive SNEAKY. It is unbecoming and demonstrates a lack of control and inability to think cogently. I know as it is often a fault of mine.


    huh? put down that crack pipe aside, please.

    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

    I wanted to know because it seems the parents on this thread are lining up on the side of spanking, and the non-parents on the other.


    Children learn from parents. You've been hit before therefore you think it's the only way to educate someone when you fail to explain your point some other way.

    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

    I think somebody set you off by using the word "beating." Beating, if one takes the word literally, is never condoned. However, a spanking is a good parenting tool when done correctly.



    See above, see everything above.

    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    I spank more and more rarely as mine get older. Because I spanked (never in anger!) when they were young, I found that they no longer needed it when they got older. They learn where the boundaries are. They also kind of appreciate it in a way if administered correctly. It shows you care about their development as a good person.


    For the fourth, and final time: it shows that you haven't got the ability to get your point across. My little sister hasn't been hit once and grew up to be quite a well balanced, secure and to say the least good person.

    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

    If you are blessed with children someday, I think you will understand.

    Nah...

    [:p]



    "Nah" what? you think I will not understand? probably not then, not that I care.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Beating of a child is never an answer, there're other methods of discipline, but beating a child is what turns him later into a gang member.

    Sorry, got to disagree. It should not be the first or only means of disipline or correction but it does have its place.


    Could you elaborate a bit more on what place it has and why? I think I've explained my point plenty today, and if needed I can go into psyche a bit more, but so far I haven't heard a single coherent explanation of how and why it [spanking] works? Or why any of you would think it works?

    Add: and please, there's no need to be sorry to disagree [:D]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Sneaky, DWS is right.

    You are a feeble mind incapable of cogent discussion.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    so far I haven't heard a single coherent explanation of how and why it [spanking] works? Or why any of you would think it works?




    Can you not read or are you one of those who is thinking of their next reply when someone is talking?
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo


    Sneaky, DWS is right.

    You are a feebly mind incapable of cogent discussion.



    Aw, what's wrong honey, you didn't like the taste of your own medicine, or do you call your incomprehensible rants a "cogent discussion", or a discussion at all? If you can't hack it -- don't ask for it. Wonder if you can even see how ridiculous you sound saying this after your first post, probably not.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo


    Sneaky, DWS is right.

    You are a feebly mind incapable of cogent discussion.



    Aw, what's wrong honey, you didn't like the taste of your own medicine, or do you call your incomprehensible rants a "cogent discussion", or a discussion at all? If you can't hack it -- don't ask for it. Wonder if you can even see how ridiculous you sound saying this after your first post, probably not.


    More good stuff! Is English your first language?
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    Originally posted by A J Christ
    Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    so far I haven't heard a single coherent explanation of how and why it [spanking] works? Or why any of you would think it works?




    Can you not read or are you one of those who is thinking of their next reply when someone is talking?



    That's one COGENT argument there, wow! [8D]

    So far, most of yours, or your master DWS's cogent discussions were nothing but brusque replies without much weight or meaning only aimed to agitate someone. That's very cogent of ya. Keep it up, good going.

    Why don't this board have ignore list...
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo


    Sneaky, DWS is right.

    You are a feebly mind incapable of cogent discussion.



    Aw, what's wrong honey, you didn't like the taste of your own medicine, or do you call your incomprehensible rants a "cogent discussion", or a discussion at all? If you can't hack it -- don't ask for it. Wonder if you can even see how ridiculous you sound saying this after your first post, probably not.


    More good stuff! Is English your first language?




    ROFL. this is the best cogent argument by mr. mateomasfeo today. What are you like, 10? Wait, the next one is gonna be "my c--k is bigger", watch this...
Sign In or Register to comment.