In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HUMMER QUESTION ..

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
[:D].. Not what you thought huh ? Well we are turing in the Tahoe today and the wife likes the Hummer H3 ..Anybody have one and would like to tell me the likes and dislikes ? We are looking at a 2007 model ..

Comments

• mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    DWS has three. One in red for when he feels saucy, one in pink for when he feels vulnerable, and one in black for when, er, ah, well he has one in black...
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    My wife has one. I have never driven it more than a few block and it's hardly been off the pavement so I can't tell you much. I do know I don't care to drive it because the visibility sucks. If you are over about 5"4" you have to crouch down to see the stoplights at an intersection. For me it is like driving with tunnel vision.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    as long as their hummin dixie, all is well by me[;)][:D]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    test drove one on an off road coarse at a GM Drive Chicago event. I liked it. Didn't spend alot of time driving it but thought it was pretty cool.

Am 6'4 and immagine dakotashooter2 is probably right on. I find the rear view mirror in my Frontier is mounted too low and blocks my vision at times.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    It is not my cuppa tea.

It seems to me that folks buy them for all the wrong reasons - look how many of them are SHINY !!

Ol' CJ Jeep fur me.

Doug
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Aren't they just overpriced Tahoes anyway? With an ugly body?
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never drove one of the fancy ones. Mine were all painted green.

1st one I drove was stuck in a big mud puddle. Kid who was driving it just did not know how to drive. I got in fired it up put in 4wd(He did not know) started driving it out.

had to drive it back in. Had a MSgt Show up with a wrecker and he wanted to pull it out. Made me back up and stop .

I was just a GySgt. He was from the MT field me and Engineer.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Get the H1, that is a kick-* vehicle!
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    They look silly. Buy a used Suburban instead. Save half your money, and get a better vehicle. Wife and I are on our fifth; the first was a '78. We buy 'em at 60k miles or so, and trade em in sometime after 200k. Best dang vehicle ever, and has been in the catalog since 1917. No other make and model can say that.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have never seen a dirty one...always parked in paved lots or occasionally going down highway....POSER is right
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    Get the H1, that is a kick-* vehicle!

If they're the knofirst gen comercial of the Hum-V, I'll agree. Might only get you 8 miles to a gallon but convert that to bio-diesel and add on a 20 gallon fuel cell with the original tank you got a sweet ride.

It's too bad the comercial Hummer wasn't a smaller Hum-V with fiber glass/plastic body for longer range per gallon. Now if the body panels were made with Rubber Maid that would've been cool. Hit and run no problem[:D].
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    Why would you want to buy a POS that the H3 is? It dosen't do anything well, dosn't matter if it's just a grocery getter or what some might call off road.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want or need a 4 door vehicle, get one with a solid front axle instead of IFS if you plan on doing any sort of offroading-the Independant Front Suspension while nice on the road isn't so strong offroad. A friend of mine in TX has an H3 and he likes it but he has only gone in mud & sand with it. Since both GM & Chrysler are in the tank at the moment you should be able to get a great deal on either a H3 or a Jeep even a used one. I know you are looking at a '07 but to compare a '09 H3 stripped model is $35,900 MSRP(of course nobody pays that I'm just using it to compare) and a '09 Jeep Unlimited starts at $24,900--heck for what a H3 costs for a stripped model you can buy a 4 door Rubicon for $32K and I know you can find an '07 for less--it will kick the butt of ANY H3. I have a '08 Unlimited and it rides very very smooth on the road--they don't bounce you all over like the CJ's and YJ's-and if your wife likes that Hummer look then the Unlimited will give that to her. The jeep also has one feature the H3 will never have-the ability to go convertible with either 3 piece hardtop or the softop.vegas001.jpg[:D]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I test drove one and felt for the size, it lacked serious storage space, not sure I could get the groceries in the back...
    edited November -1
    did you drive a 2 door or 4? The seats fold all the way down and I have no trouble fitting tons of stuff in the back-heck the wife and I have even slept in it with some pads and sleeping bags and still had room left.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My boss has one that I drove a few times I'm 6' 4 can't see anything out of it plus I get to the service on it what a pain
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by screwobama
    Why would you want to buy a POS that the H3 is? It dosen't do anything well, dosn't matter if it's just a grocery getter or what some might call off road.

+1, it is based on the Colorado, and comes with the Colorado's 5 cylinder. Some call it underpowered. (not that the Colorado is a bad truck, I have a short bed 4x4 with the 4 banger as a commuter truck).
    Poor's mans BallPark Frank extention IMHO.
    Again, a H1 is cool, the rest are just wannabees
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over priced JUNK!!! They are a pain to change oil in because of the filter location.I just put brakes on one last week that had 35000 on it and rear pads were metal to metal.Brake pads even cost double of what they should.But it's your money and I'm sure GM would love to take it.[:D]
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one for a short time, poor visibility, under powered.
    edited November -1
    The Hummer division is being sold as of June 1st--to whom though hasn't been revealed. Might be good-might be bad depending on who gets it. Saturn is also history--Chevy, Cadillac, Buick & GMC are staying--very sad that the government will now run the show--just like they like it. This will be the deathknell for GM and probably Chrysler because once the Gov. runs the show trying to attain impossible fuel standards you truck guys will be left with garbage that won't haul because it will be so underpowered or so lightweight it won't be durable.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    Aren't they just overpriced Tahoes anyway? With an ugly body?
    No ... the H3 is an overpriced Chevy Colorado.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.