In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I just got banned from Paypal

sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
I just found out that my Paypal account has been closed, because I sold some 20 round G3 assault rifle magazines (WHICH ARE LEGAL TO BUY AND SELL) here on Gunbroker. So now, I have to cancel all my Ebay auctions, because I cannot take payment from winning bidders, because Ebay requires sellers to use Paypal, or set up some secured way of taking credit cards. What a bunch of Nazis.

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Do you sell enough to warrant a merchant account with Mastercard/Visa?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    Keep coming toward the light...away from the dark side. You are on your way to a better life!

I don't do Paypal. I don't do Fleabay, buying or selling. I accept checks and money orders. Life is good!
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    And you are shocked why? Did you not read and accept THEIR policy when you signed up.
  • lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep
    Can't follow the RULES -- but someone else
    is always the BAD guy --
    Lee
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I got my account locked by gunbroker over paypal. Two guys demanded I pay through paypal, this was not listed in the auction description, and was demanded after the auction ended. They both filed non-paying bidders, refused payment any other way and re-listd the minute I said I would not pay via paypal. Gunbroker locked my account, and no emailing in the world would get them to reverse it
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharkman69
    I just found out that my Paypal account has been closed, because I sold some 20 round G3 assault rifle magazines (WHICH ARE LEGAL TO BUY AND SELL) here on Gunbroker. So now, I have to cancel all my Ebay auctions, because I cannot take payment from winning bidders, because Ebay requires sellers to use Paypal, or set up some secured way of taking credit cards. What a bunch of Nazis.

Yes it's legal to sell on gunbroker.

PayPal however is not financially associated with Gunbroker and Paypal doesn't allow payment for guns, gunaccessories...

So... you just got found out - and account closed.

You had it coming.!!
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL,
    It's a tough crowd Wally.....
    We don't support anti-gun corporations....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    Do you sell enough to warrant a merchant account with Mastercard/Visa?

I regularly sell over $1,00 a month on Ebay, and I already have a merchant account for taking credit cards. I just don't have that set up with Ebay. I suppose I should see what kind of flaming hoops Ebay will require me to jump through to get my merchant account set up on any new auctions there.
  • pogybatepogybate Member Posts: 3,150
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharkman69

The buyer must have stated what he bought and where in the Paypal transaction. Otherwise there is no way they could have found out. Not good....
  • rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, Chance you take. I tried like some have suggested in selling some ammo and stuff before and getting paid by paypal. Ya tell them to not mention ammo or gun related itmes in the payment. But, it only takes one perons to not pay attention (as with one of my items) and Bam!!!!, it's gone.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I take paypal for boxes, cleaning kits, stocks and that kinda thing..no guns or Ammo.how did they figure out what you were selling?
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paypal screwed me out of $40.00 once. I didn't give them a second chance. Good riddance.
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 good informative sites.

www.paypalsucks.com

www.powersellersunite.com

the first of which is self explanatory, the second was created when fees became excessive. This site lists the now MANY different auction venues some believe it or not as big as e bay that are taking e bays market share day after day. Gun Broker is still the best !! [:D]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Wanna hear how LIBERAL Flebay and Pizpal are hypocrites. My wife just bought me a set of reloading dies offa #@bay and used Ppal to pay the man. TALK ABOUT TWO FACE
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the life of me I cannot see why any one would use them buying or selling.Last year my Credit Card number waqs stolen and just over $200 was spent thru paypal.I contacted them and they told me I could claim for my loss,but when they recieved the forms from me they refused to do anything about it and told me I had left it too long(120 days) which was an absolute lie.I finally got my money back from the bank my card is from.I wont even deal with any one who uses them now.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Ebay cannot legally enforce their 'PayPal only' rule, and they know it, and many of their sellers know it and ignore it. All that is needed is to message the seller through the Ebay messaging system, and ask if they take Money Orders, etc. Any seller that is not cowed by Ebay will tell you that he'll take other forms of payment, and I have just bought some coins and some auto manuals on Ebay, from different sellers, who do not submit to the Ebay bull****. Some sellers in Russia and eastern Europe take Money orders that are mailed to intermediaries like Western Bid, and advertise it in their auction listings. All of it ignores PayPal.

I believe that it is illegal to bar a merchant from accepting any Government-issued money-bearing instrument, such as U.S. currency or Money Orders, in any transaction on U.S. soil. Ebay can pretend that they can keep merchants from advertising that they will take U.S. Government instruments, but they cannot force the merchants to say that they will not. Only the merchant himself can limit how he will receive payment. It is noteworthy that in the past, PayPal has been prohibited from doing any business in at least two States, including Louisiana, by those State's Attorneys General.

Ebay did say it would allow a buyer to pay the seller in cash if the buyer picked up the merchandise personally from the seller. Apparently, this was because the Ebay police didn't feel they could cover the residences of the sellers on a 24/7 basis. How absolutely generous of the a**holes.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard all this before, but the way I see it, once they issued a paypal creditcard, they are officially a bank and no bank has the right to refuse service based on material. What's next, Visa won't let you go to strip joints? Or Mastercard will decide you are not allowed to use your money at a firecracker stand?

I am not sure how Ebay has managed to avoid lawsuits, but one day things will break lose and the flood of suits will pile in on them. Ebay is temporary, they have gotten so expensive, they actually make more off your stuff than you do.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the banned gang.

Won't do business on e-bay because of paypal.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    You need to sell a padded envelope and throw in a 20 rd magazine for free with the purchase. If paypal asks, you sold an envelope. Problem solved. Well YOURS at least. The problem of paypal being run by liberals will still exist.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paypal got banned from me.[:D] Read section 11. If that has not been removed because of a law suit then Paypal has a lein on ALL your bank/ retirement/ CD / moneymarket accounts that existed when you signed up to the time you were banned.
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they did you a favor my friend, by stopping your contribution to the left wing gun haters....... to heck with them.

Hope you find a successful way to market your stuff but those bums are so far left they coming up on the right horizon.
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my posting I said I lost $200 but I missed out a zero it was just over $2000.If it had only been $200 I probably would not have noticed.
  • bowfinbowfin Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A seller at Gunbroker recently had his account suspended for taking payment from me for a handgun. Fair enough, but he still has the gun, paypal has my money, and I have a complaint into the Texas Banking Commission, who is looking at Paypal with a jaundiced eye right now because of numerous complaints.

I could care less if the suspend/close/ban accounts, because it's their show, but it is my money. Heck, I wouldnt do business with them again anyhow, give me my money back, ban me, and declare victory.

I doubt my complaint will get them banned in Texas, but someone has to be the raindrop that burst the dam, so we are closer by one.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Discretion is your friend concerning paypal.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate Ebay and Paypal. I won't have anything to do with either of them. I am told all of the time that I should sell certain things on ebay.....the risks aren't worth it. I also believe that people are so sick of being taken advantage of that they have run off most of the decent sellers. If you buy and sell on ebay there is a 100% chance that you will be burned!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • woodguruwoodguru Member Posts: 2,850
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Friendly
    I got my account locked by gunbroker over paypal. Two guys demanded I pay through paypal, this was not listed in the auction description, and was demanded after the auction ended. They both filed non-paying bidders, refused payment any other way and re-listd the minute I said I would not pay via paypal. Gunbroker locked my account, and no emailing in the world would get them to reverse it

That's a bit ridiculous if they didn't specify paypal in the ad. Why don't you try squealing off the seller to paypal and report him to paypal for using it for gun related items, that should cause him some difficulties to say the least. One thing I learned is you do not want paypal freezing you up if you have transactions in the works. That would make a great end run on the guy if you could show paypal an email correspondence where the guy is insisting you use paypal.

Maybe just threatening to do that would get the seller to drop his non paying bidder stuff, I've taken care of a couple of unreasonable sellers like that.
  • rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nobodies shocked when they get knocked out by paypal/ebay. Just disappointed. You know ya shouldn't, but take the chance cause it's easy, convenient and fast. I had been selling stuff myself over there and here and telling people to pay using it, but don't disclose the item you're paying for. Eventually you get someone whom doesn't follow and you're both busted. Not thier fault, you took the chance, but it still sucks.[:(] Any way, M/O's still cash, slower but it gets done.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the past 6-7 years that I have been Ebaying and paypalling, I have used at least $500k.

I received some pp payment on some ammo that I sold on GB, they locked my account, I had to go and electronically sign a thing stating that will be a good boy and don't do stuff like that anymore.

They opened my account after I signed it. I do hate them too, but what else there is, in other civilized countries, you can tranfer money from your account to somebody elses account on the internet.
  • aw3olaw3ol Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I applied for a PayPal C.C. which they then riped off using camping gear for an excuse, if there's an excuse for anything its having to use ebay in the first place. Second, I got scammed by a seller, but they were kind enough to give me a script in appreation. I still think someones behind it, their always looking into my credit rating. Royally???

[8]
  • woodguruwoodguru Member Posts: 2,850
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bowfin
    A seller at Gunbroker recently had his account suspended for taking payment from me for a handgun. Fair enough, but he still has the gun, paypal has my money, and I have a complaint into the Texas Banking Commission, who is looking at Paypal with a jaundiced eye right now because of numerous complaints.

I could care less if the suspend/close/ban accounts, because it's their show, but it is my money. Heck, I wouldnt do business with them again anyhow, give me my money back, ban me, and declare victory.

I doubt my complaint will get them banned in Texas, but someone has to be the raindrop that burst the dam, so we are closer by one.

I think the majority of the states in the US have brought suits against ebay and paypal. I was in one in California that was awarded 27 million dollars, I was owed 900+ and $1100+, both incidents as a seller where I had a buyer burn me. Paypal's supposed protections are not protections at all for a seller, all the protection seems to swing the buyer's way but anymore it's easy to get ripped both ways.

I'm running an attorney handled book deal where we give ebay the chance to buy the book rights from me before I publish it. It runs very close to the fine line of extortion and has to be carefully done but it can be done. It has to do with the book offering advice and an attorney class action lawsuit hotline that hooks people up with an attorney in every state that will represent them. It's a win win for everybody but ebay and paypal, but it would be a lot cheaper for them to pay 15 million than several hundred million if the book instigated a huge actively well coordinated response.

As far as GunBroker is concerned it should be GB's response that they give no support to paypal instigated actions, Paypal says it's against their policies to use it for gun related things, GB should make it against their policies to allow it to be used. It's one thing if both parties agree but entirely different for one to initiate non paying actions because someone refuses. Why would GB even go there? I absolutely refuse to use Paypal under any circumstances and would be pissed off at a GB seller who tried after a sale to make me. They should be gracious enough to allow another method of pay.

And another thing....
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    I have been checking out these people.

https://www.gunpal.net/gp
  • Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
    edited November -1
    If GB would start using a paypal look-a-like I would sell all my stuff here. It's a drag running to the post office everytime you buy something. Kenny
  • non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bowfin

They'll give your money back in 6-9 months, or sooner. Depending on whenever they decide the investigation they did on themselves is done. You agreed it was ok for them to do this when you signed up.

Paypal sucks. Unfortuntly there is not enough mass on the similar sites to offer a good (or better) alternative. [V]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The ppl I deal with on ebay all take money orders...if they say paypal ONLY, I wont bid on the item...I will sometimes email them and ask if they take money orders and almost always, I get a resounding YES>..
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe EBay and PayPal function using CA laws regarding gun accessories sales - since 20 round mags are banned for sale in CA, EBay and PP ban them also.

Folks should use "gunpal.net" instead

I just started, might as well spend my $$$ with gun friendly instead of gun hating.

And BTW - Meg Whitman is a supposed Republican, running for Governor in CA. I hope she loses.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your profile here says you have been a Gunbroker Member Since: 11/23/2003

... there have been countless threads on this subject.

For the life of me I can't understand why you would be suprised.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.