In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Learn to Read Your Chemical Profile

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
I got my PICC line today and all of that stuff is working out good for my foot but that's not the impetus of this story.

For the past couple of days, I could tell my body chemistry has been off. Joints not working or feeling right, difficult to sleep, just wore the Hell out, etc. You just know when things aren't working right.

My foot doc requested a chemical profile every Monday. I knew my potassium was off as it has a lot to do with the working of joints, but I take two potassium caps daily to replace what the lasix flushes out.

Anyway, after my lab work came back, I went to medical records at the hospital and requested a copy of my lab work. People normally are not routinely given this as it goes to the doctor.

It lists your raw numbers, the normal range of people, and highlights your results if high or low. The potassium, sodium, and chloride were low or borderline low.

Too late to call my doc or nurse, so off to the pharmacy I go for consultation. I asked if the sodium chloride could be up with common table salt. Sodium yes, chloride no. I shared my paperwork and it appeared my electrolytes were off.

Pharmacist are not doctors and cannot advise on medical conditions as it will get their * in a sling with the government. I know this and posed my questions in such a way as to not put the pharmacist in that position.

In short, I left with four bottles of Pedialyte. Consumed half of one when I got home and lo and behold, within minutes I felt great.
Tomorrow I'll check the sports drinks to see which one ups potassium, chloride, and sodium as Pedialyte is $4. a liter.

You don't have to be a doctor to take advantage of information to help yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions as you are your own best advocate and NEVER accept being blown off. You can learn a lot on the internet.

Comments

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even minor surface skin wounds that don't heal right away must be observed with vigilance...

Mrsa antibiotic resistant staff infection super bugs are always a risk

Cellulitus on a grand scale and swelling and resultant severe abscess are often prime symptoms

Draining the abscess of Cellulitus and nasty puss fluid and chunks is imperative - cleaning and deriding the wound often require surgery

The antibiotics are quite viscous - vancomicin and cubicin and daptomicin and the newer stronger experimental meds are not pleasant

Once you are colonized the risk of a repeat event is high

Maintain proper flora and fauna levels and electrolytes and super levels are all very important

Mike
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you are going to discuss this with your doctor. Be careful, electrolyte therapy requires routine monitoring. If you are on Lasix your fluid intake amounts are also important and using electrolyte fortified fluids could over load you. These types of fluids have their uses and are good when they are needed. With the medical issues you'e shared you are more at risk then an average Joe.

The point is, be careful and talk it over with your doctor.

Glad the antibiotics are working and you're feeling better.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    No argument to it. Pedialyte is used in infants. The web says you can drink as much as you want. Any excess electrolytes not used by your body are blown out the * hole.

Thanks for the concern as I'm seeing the doc on Thursday and feel great.
    [:)]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Saw the foot doc today and he's pretty happy with the results so far.
    I'll lose about half of the toe, but an overnight stay at the hospital is all he told me to expect. He's the one going to hack it off.
    I gotta go see a vascular surgeon about blood flow to confirm how much to cut off.

As to the electrolytes, the doc concurred with my actions with the Pedialyte and called my family doc to confirm since it's more of a medical issue than a foot issue. My doc looked at the numbers and said to keep on with what I'm doing. Hopefully, my next chemical profile on Monday will be a significant improvemnt.

I also got a temp Spaz parking. I guess I impressed the foot doc. He said he wished all his patients took such an active part in their health.

With the internet, no one need be ignorant unless they really wanna be.