In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Best Fighter Aircraft Ever Made

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The company I was working for at the time had a Service contract with Lockheed and I was in fact at Lockheed in Ft. Worth when the Air Force awarded the contract to them. I was allowed close access to the planes as they were being built in Marietta, Ga. and to say the least they are impressive. Talking to engineers on the project they were like proud parents. They were flying out of Dobbins AFB there in Marietta and I enjoyed watching them. Obama cancelled the F22 Program in I think 2012 saying we didn't need it anymore. I just read that the Air Force is now saying they want more and the cost is significantly lower than the first planes. It will be interesting to see if the F22 sees combat against the Russians in Syria.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The F-22 may be the best ever - but so far only in theory.

The best fighter to see actual air-air combat is the F-15. A couple of the ground attack version were shot down in Iraq, but there's never been an air-air defeat, flown either by our guys or by Israelis.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My top 10.

Mustang
    Sabre
    Phantom
    Tomcat
    Rafale
    Mig 29
    HORNET
    Falcon
    Eagle
    Raptor
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No A-10 Warthog in your top ten, Dave?

That's one I think the ground forces would vote for, if given the opportunity, imho.

Big Al (no, I'm not biased, not at all! Being only a few miles away from the front gates of DMAFB in Tucson wouldn't affect me like that! ) [;)][:0]
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Naw Anh!! The F 22 wil whip anyother fighter. I know cause my Daddy has one that he can take out and fly anytime he wants to. So there!![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigal125
    No A-10 Warthog in your top ten, Dave?

That's one I think the ground forces would vote for, if given the opportunity, imho.

Big Al (no, I'm not biased, not at all! Being only a few miles away from the front gates of DMAFB in Tucson wouldn't affect me like that! ) [;)][:0]

While it's a great plane, it's not technically an air superiority fighter like the others talked about. It's designed mainly as a ground attack aircraft.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    My brother was career Air Force, stationed at Tyndall AFB in Florida. Tyndall is the home of the 95th Fighter Squadron and main training facility for F-22 pilots.

He says that the F-22 is an engineering nightmare, constantly breaking down and needing repair. The electronic support systems are unable to withstand the stress of the aircraft's maneuvering.

He says he was glad when he retired and did not have to deal with the aircraft any longer.

BTW, bigal125 - the A-10 Thunderbolt is not a fighter, it's a close-air-support attack aircraft.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best fighter is the one that will whip anything else in the air AT THAT TIME. #1 Fokker Eindecker.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    For it's day, the Fokker D VII. It had a geared interrupter to allow the Spandau's to shoot through the propeller arc. Top secret for it's time.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    My favorite will always be the F-14 Tomcat. Just plain badass!
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:BTW, bigal125 - the A-10 Thunderbolt is not a fighter, it's a close-air-support attack aircraft.

quote:While it's a great plane, it's not technically an air superiority fighter like the others talked about. It's designed mainly as a ground attack aircraft.

Yeah, good point(s) from Rocklobster and NeoBlackdog. For high-speed, high-altitude air combat, the A-10 isn't the best plane. Comparing apples and oranges, I guess.

Still like the story about the A-10 saying the gun was developed first and then the plane was built around it. Don't know how true it is, but I like it! [:)]

Big Al (can't believe they're being phased out, either. A proven platform, being replaced by ... what, exactly?)
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always have been a big fan of the F4U Corsair.

It was the equal or better than any other WW2 prop driven fighter, and even shot down a MIG-15 over Korea.

Also, in the only decisive combat between the F4U and the P-51 during the El Salvador / Honduras soccer war in the late 1960s, the F4U emerged victorious.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The A-10 is a great plane, but its days are numbered. It's almost 40 years old, has been re-winged twice, has only limited night capability (and even that is a bolt-on mod), and is rapidly becoming overly expensive to keep operational. The gun is actually too big/powerful for close air support missions.

BTW, the "A" stands for Attack. Fighters start with "F".

There is no replacement Attack aircraft in development, or even on the drawing boards. The close air support job will be handled by the F-35, they say. How well remains to be seen.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    The A-10 is a great plane, but its days are numbered. It's almost 40 years old, has been re-winged twice, has only limited night capability (and even that is a bolt-on mod), and is rapidly becoming overly expensive to keep operational. The gun is actually too big/powerful for close air support missions.

BTW, the "A" stands for Attack. Fighters start with "F".

There is no replacement Attack aircraft in development, or even on the drawing boards. The close air support job will be handled by the F-35, they say. How well remains to be seen.

The Air Farce is fast reaching obsolesence and if the Army opts for their own CAS, the only job they really have left is to ferry troops. The Minute Man silos are obsolete, the manned nuclear bomber is obsolete, space is best left to the service that actually has ships already.
    I know Boeing paid off a lot of folks to get their overdue and overbudget tanker and the F35 bought, but at some point, the gravy train will end.
    With no suitable A10 replacement coming out, the Pentagon needs to get their heads out of their * and built an A-11.
    Russia still has a lot of tanks if nothing else and the Europeans depend on vulnerable helos too much.