In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Dark Side of Law Enforcement

Comments

• Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Yeah, there's bad apples in every profession. What's your beef, trying to drum up some business?
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a non-issue.

Quote from the reporter: "They're knocking on doors. If nobody answers, they're not kicking doors in."

Should they have coerced people to leave? Probably not.

Would they have been legally liable if they had not coerced people to leave? In this litigious society, probably.

Those officers on the scene were doing what they were instructed to do, and although many Nazis used that same defense, I won't draw the parallel. The action was coercive, but not directly harmful (although I recognize that a person might in retrospect question the relative safety of the convention center that woman was sent to).

And frankly, they were doing their job with an armed civilian. I didn't see anything in that video that looked like brutality. No, she didn't look terribly threatening. And no, they didn't really handle her that way.

My $0.02.
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps you need to review your local laws against armed robbery...
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    we had a guy named harry truman (not the president) who refused to leave his mountain home with the comming eruption of Mt. St Helens in 1980. he died. no one ever found his body under tons of volcanic rubble but he made his own choice, and died with dignity. when people are of sound mind their future should be their own decision and that lady didn't look crazy to me
  • Options
    Bolivers WifeBolivers Wife Member Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James
    Yeah, there's bad apples in every profession. What's your beef, trying to drum up some business?

Ditto[^]
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huh? A couple bad apples? Try a rotting orchard.
    Defender is right. It doesn't say anywhere in the Constitution that your right to keep and bear can be nullified due to the wishes of some horses * police chief and the his dragoons. Average Joe got his firearms confiscated, yet the wealthy and private security were allowed to retain fireams even though it was stated law enforcement and military would be the ONLY ones packin'. From what i've read it wasn't so friendly a knock at the door when the camera wasn't around too.
    Now we have a precedent for it to happen again - maybe in your neighborhood. Mike
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Quite instructive to watch the reactions to such as this.

Easy to pick out those that would have been fighting on the side of the British... a couple hundred years ago.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I agree - simply fascinating,

As in the Revolution all three viewpoints are expressed.

Yes - No - Who cares, let me alone![:D][:D][:D]
    chewtwigzz.gif
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Christ, this nut job again.

quote:About Me

Name:Paul Huebl
    Licensed Private Detective-Former Chicago policeman-Investigative TV News Producer-Reporter.

"Licesed private dick, X Chicago cop"...and NOW an "investigative producer-reporter"

...the guy looks like Mr. Cheesey...[;)] I wonder if he does a little "light hauling" on the side.

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    carson0384carson0384 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it would be interesting to wee what my happen if they knocked on the dorrs of my community. I'm pretty sure they would get the bullets before the guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    ...Christ, this nut job again.

quote:About Me

Name:Paul Huebl
    Licensed Private Detective-Former Chicago policeman-Investigative TV News Producer-Reporter.

"Licesed private dick, X Chicago cop"...and NOW an "investigative producer-reporter"

...the guy looks like Mr. Cheesey...[;)] I wonder if he does a little "light hauling" on the side.

ani-texas-flag.gif

No, I don't handle light hauling since I'm busy helping people involved in self-defense shootings...
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Pensacola, hurricanes are just part of life during hurricane season. If someone came to disarm me for "my own safety", reguardless of the uniform they were wearing they better bring some body bags with them.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To many bad presumptions from the History of bad choices made only by Leaders who were Tyrants.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I think most people, after seeing how the cops deserted them in a real crisis, will maintain their weaponry in the future.
    Perhaps Katrina dispelled the myth that police are not civilians.
    Military units don't desert without personal consequences.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Let's see....

Entered an occupied private residence without a warrant and without permission, where no crime was committed or reported, asked to leave by the legal resident, refused to leave, used force to remove a legally owned and possessed firearm from the legal resident in her own home......Hmmmm

Entered other private residences without permission or warrant, which may have been occupied by lawful residents who could have been/should have been armed for self protection, entered in a manner likely to result in deadly force if the resident was there, all this with no specific crime reported at said locations.....Hmmm

Seized (AKA stole)lawfully owned firearms by force, from a number of legal residents who were armed for self protection, or defense of their property.....Hmmm

A few bullet points from this Peace Officers perspective:

*Blatently unconstitutional
    *No excuse for participating in those segments of the operation
    *Revocation of Peace Officer Certification is in order
    *Pathetic
    *Shameless
    *Storm Troopers
    *Pisses me off
    *Chaps my *
    *Indicative of the steady degradation of the Constitution
    *Charges should be filed
    *Nothing will happen to sanction them, or their agencies
    *Many will see no particular problem with their actions

I could go on, but why bother.
    [:(!][:(!][V]
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those who would choose to criticize Defender or his blog I might point out that the First Amendment is just as important as the Second Amendment. I might also go as far as to say the purpose of the second amendment is to back up the first amendment.

Our freedom is not just based on whether we can own guns, protect ourselves, stand up to the govt. storm troopers etc. Our freedom is based on the open communication of ideas, facts, events etc. that make it impossible for the government to really control the people.

The internet is makes it impossible for the govt. and the big media organizations to censor the truth. We should applaud the use of the internet to spread the truth. Those with differing viewpoints will find that the internet offers multiple perspectives on almost every issue.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:lt496

Read the words above in red..(I made them red for a purpose).

There is a VAST difference between a Peace Officer...and a Law Enforcement Officer.
    One has my utmost respect..the other I hold in contempt.
    One merely enforces laws..without question,without reservation..and will do so when its time to kick in doors to collect guns from honest citizens.
    Respect and honor your Peace Officers.
    The other man...Peace Officer....AMERICAN..will be with OTHER Americans when the crunch comes.
  • Options
    pipskickspipskicks Member Posts: 3,049
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    Let's see....

Entered an occupied private residence without a warrant and without permission, where no crime was committed or reported, asked to leave by the legal resident, refused to leave, used force to remove a legally owned and possessed firearm from the legal resident in her own home......Hmmmm

Entered other private residences without permission or warrant, which may have been occupied by lawful residents who could have been/should have been armed for self protection, entered in a manner likely to result in deadly force if the resident was there, all this with no specific crime reported at said locations.....Hmmm

Seized (AKA stole)lawfully owned firearms by force, from a number of legal residents who were armed for self protection, or defense of their property.....Hmmm

*Pathetic
    *Shameless
    *Storm Troopers
    *Pisses me off
    *Chaps my *
    *Charges should be filed

This is the way I feel about the situation, we know they were wrong, and we know there are bad cops.

But again, what's your beef. I still think police officers are looked down upon way too much, and don't get nearly enough credit for the job they do.

And this is from someone living with the LAPD and has had numerous horrible encounters with them, and almost no good ones. However, I still know there are good ones out there, and I wish they would get more credit.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PatriotsPrayer.gif
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A cop's first duty is to his oath. The first part of the oath is to defend and protect the U.S. Constitution. Nowhere does that oath place some gun-grabbing police chief or mayor above the Constitutional rights of Americans within that officer's jurisdiction.

Anybody that does not have a problem with the New Orleans terrorism needs to find a new home in Cuba or China where that stuff is acceptable. Too many Americans fought and died for the Liberty we are supposed to enjoy.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few days after the hurricane, I saw this on the FOX News channel:

A group of police officers and National Guard troops knocked on a little old lady's door. She came to the door and asked them to leave. They asked if they could come in. She said "No" and asked them again to leave her property. They forced their way in. She demanded that they leave her property. They told her she had to surrender her firearms and evacuate. She said "No" and demanded again that they leave her property. They tackled the little old lady and forcibly took her firearm. They picked her up and carried her to a boat, dumped her in and hauled her away.

I wondered at the time why there was no nationwide uproar about that, but there never was. I uproared a little bit, but nobody noticed.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Land of the free and home of the brave.

My fat, wet *!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pipskicks
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    Let's see....

*Pathetic
    *Shameless
    *Storm Troopers
    *Pisses me off
    *Chaps my *
    *Charges should be filed

This is the way I feel about the situation, we know they were wrong, and we know there are bad cops.

But again, what's your beef. I still think police officers are looked down upon way too much, and don't get nearly enough credit for the job they do.

And this is from someone living with the LAPD and has had numerous horrible encounters with them, and almost no good ones. However, I still know there are good ones out there, and I wish they would get more credit.

Peace Officers/Cops do not do the job to get credit. If some do, they are in the wrong line of work.

Among the reasons that cops are looked down upon, are actions and behaviors like those listed. Of course there are good peace officers/cops, in fact I still believe we are a majority. Unfortunately the "law enforcement" mentality has been ingrained into many and it gets progressively worse yearly.

Some of those who wear a badge, like I do, would do well to pay attention to their "reason for being what they are", and to pay allegiance to their oath.

No excuses, no rationalizations. A citizen first, last and always. Period.
  • Options
    ll_manll_man Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those NO cops should have been decorated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ll_man
    Those NO cops should have been decorated.

With tar or whitewash?

Until cops police their own and actively root out the nutjobs and corrupt officers, a broad brush will be used by the eye of the public.

The thin blue line with it's don't ask, don't tell brotherhood needs to be eliminated by the officers themselves. An impossible goal? No, but a very difficult one for sure.

It's really too bad that arrest numbers are considered good performance criteria. I should think a cop that never had to arrest or shoot anyone did a damn good job of being a "peace officer".
  • Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I have stated on this Forum before, I have never been assisted by a police officer directly in any way, yet I have been victimized by police officers numerous times,
    No police officer has ever extended recognition to me for being a law abiding citizen.
    Im tired of hearing about how we need to extend recognition to police officers for doing a job they are getting paid to do, Thats what their pay is.
    In the event that a police officer actually does assist me I will thank him and compliment him,
    Im tired of the arguments that their job is tough especially under the circumstances. Well boohoo, my job is tough too but I do my job to the best of my abilities and the government takes more than half of the pay I receive to pay the police who so far have done nothing for me, but have done plenty to me.
    The conduct by police and national guard on the film i saw linked to this thread was blatant Facisem and excedingly illegal.
    Im am dissappointed that no citizen defended himself with deadly fource.
    What happened to those who say "if they want my guns their going to have to pry them from my cold dead hands"
    There isen't much freedom left in America.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    ""Would they have been legally liable if they had not coerced people to leave?""

No. Police officers are not responsible for individual safety but society as a whole. With that role they can not steal an individuals firearms, revoke Constitutional rights, or invade your home without a warrant, permission, or probable cause.

According to Louisiana law citizens private property can not be taken by law enforcement or the State without just compensation. Louisiana needs about 50,000 people to file court cases against the State for stealing their firearms. The National Guard and LEO's kept no log of firearms they stole from citizens.

I always thought California would be the first State to confiscate citizens firearms. I was wrong.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Defender, quote:No, I don't handle light hauling since I'm busy helping people involved in self-defense shootings...

...so your this Huebl guy? Well, good for you and your good deeds!
    The LEO's way overstepped the boundries in this case, and should suffer their just "rewards", FIRED. The Feds should come into this and investigate.

PS:
    ...you need a new pic on your site...the one posted makes you look like an actor from a bad B movie...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:(!][:(!][:(!]It will be a sad day when law abiding citizens are forced to kill law enforcement officers and military personel to uphold and defend the Constitution on our own soil. This is a disgrace and I truly hope the NRA and other 2nd Ammendment organanizations go after these thugs to prosecute them to the full extent under the law.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    Defender, quote:No, I don't handle light hauling since I'm busy helping people involved in self-defense shootings...

...so your this Huebl guy? Well, good for you and your good deeds!
    The LEO's way overstepped the boundries in this case, and should suffer their just "rewards", FIRED. The Feds should come into this and investigate.

PS:
    ...you need a new pic on your site...the one posted makes you look like an actor from a bad B movie...[:D]

Over 1500 post in just four months. You beat Babybear's record, bless her little troll heart.

Back to your post,
    actually, while fired is good, arrested and tried would be better.