In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Polar Bear Jump

Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
My buddies and I put on a Polar Bear Jump every year to help raise money for a local youth in need of financial aid due to an illness. I'm not soliciting for funds, I was just wondering if anyone here has ever dipped in the ice water for any reason, intentional or not. I know I've done it for both reasons, lol.
-Hans

Comments

• Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    I had to go into a pond after a Brittany pup I was hunting over went after a qual who dropped on the ice. The ice at the edge of the pond was thick enough to hold him but when he got out farther he busted through and couldn't get back up on the ice. I had to wade out breaking the ice as I went to rescue him. I never want to be that cold again. Luckily I had the sense to strip off my coveralls and leave them and my boots on the bank and wade out in my blue jeans and bare feet so I had dry clean clothes to put back on. I still ended up frozen on the walk back to the truck.

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    There was a patch you could earn at Boy Scout camp back in the day for participating in the "Polar Bear Swim." I have several.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe."
    Luke 11:21
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went camping in the rocky mountains and after 3 days went to the
    stream to take a bath. The water was running but cold as all get out
    if the tent was not close by I think I might have froze. It was 23 degrees outside.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,006 ******
    edited November -1
    I too have gone into a frozen pond to save a dog who had broken through the ice. I would not do it for fun.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I fell through a frozeen pond when I was 11 years old, after my dad told me to stay off of it. I think that was the only time I didn't get a butt busting for disobeying him. He said the cold water should teach me well enough. Boy, was he right!

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I was laid off work so I was helping a friend pump Fraq water from aa large pond in Whitesville Ny. The ice gave way and under I went, it was about 30 degrees out. I weighed 250 pounds my buddy weighed about 160. How in the hell he got me out Ill never know but glad he did. I had to ride home in nothing but my skivies in his tilt bed truck which had no heat. He laughed at me all the way home, he still gets a laugh out of it!!! It wasn't a pleasant experience!!![:I]

pa.gif

In God We Trust
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went through the ice when I was a kid. I was out hunting and crossed a creek in the same spot I had all winter. Dropped in up to my neck but was able to crawl out. I have not walked on any ice covered bodies of water since that time almost 30 years ago.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was younger I remember going with my brothers to watch a group of people jump into Lake Michigan. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I grew enough fuzz on my you know whats to try it myself. It was New Years Eve and about ten degrees outside. The initial shock of the coldness of the water sent the rectal region straight to a pucker factor of ten.

***I'm in the hi-fidelity first class travelling section I think I need a Leer jet***
  • Options
    BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    I was laid off work so I was helping a friend pump Fraq water from aa large pond in Whitesville Ny. The ice gave way and under I went, it was about 30 degrees out. I weighed 250 pounds my buddy weighed about 160. How in the hell he got me out Ill never know but glad he did. I had to ride home in nothing but my skivies in his tilt bed truck which had no heat. He laughed at me all the way home, he still gets a laugh out of it!!! It wasn't a pleasant experience!!![:I]

pa.gif

Brother you better stay on solid ground. The ice incident and the incident that you told me be about your friend Bill going through a swampy area with no problem and you sinking in up to your chest and having a tough time in getting out.
    In God We Trust

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....nothing as dramatic as some have mentioned...but my water heater went out one winter when we lost power, that was one "Cold" shower...[;)]
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the pond was not frozen, but there was skim ice all along the shore when I dumped the canoe duck hunting a few years back. Taught me to paddle from the middle and not lean awkwardly out over the gunnel when the ducks go in directions I don't expect. I saved my butt, my shotgun and the canoe. There is still a good thermos, duck calls and a whole bunch of shells and other gear on the bottom of that little bay. I'm just glad I'm here to tell about it - and pa, I would submit that having to dump out a canoe and then paddle almost two miles when soaking wet in subzero temps was even less pleasant than your truck ride. Actually, I'm amazed I didn't have a heart seizure when I hit that water. That was some bloody cold! Voluntarily . . . well, before I had a canoe I used to jump shoot from shore and then wade / swim for the birds. I was younger - and even dumber - then. But to go into frigid water for anything less than a duck . . . uh, uh. That sauna and Polar Bear stuff I leave for the crazies. [;)]