In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why do they do it??

old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
Every year more and more of them come.They leave the big city and move here because they seek the quiet peacefull rural life.Then,once they get here,the first thing they do is stick their nose in local politics and try to change everything to the way it was where they came from.Their first purchase---Hundreds of NO Hunting--No Trespassing signs.Maine is known as Vacationland.That means,you visit and then you GO HOME.There,Got that off my chest.

Comments

• Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see the same thing, and it is dissapointing. People move to the country and immediately start complaining about animal odors or dusty roads. One thing that kind of bothers me is when you pass someone on the road they don't wave, but act like they didn't see you.

Rather than get upset, I make it my goal to inform these folks how nice it is to live in a "neighborhood", not just exist in an area.
    I feel that they are about like puppies, they want to please but just don't know the accepted pack behaviour.

If that doesn't work, smack them on the nose with a newspaper.[:D]

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Kinda like the ones that move from the city to get away from the gun crime without a thought that rural areas are usually gun friendly and that they will probably see and hear more guns than where they moved from.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right dakotashooter2, But you can get your neighbors over being gunshy, I have.[:D]

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OSS,

Sounds like you have some new neighbors. Are they from Massachusetts? yuck.gif

lobster-clear.gifClose to God, far away from everyone else.
    My wife...yes. My dog...maybe. My gun...NEVER!
    greeting
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    "Every year more and more of them come.They leave the big city and move here because they seek the quiet peacefull rural life.Then,once they get here,the first thing they do is stick their nose in local politics and try to change everything to the way it was where they came from.Their first purchase---Hundreds of NO Hunting--No Trespassing signs."

Because they like to spread and breed like cockroaches and once they establish themselves in your area they like to make it hard for you to get rid of them.
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I have found areas that the owners appreciate a person asking permission to hunt but they do not like Posting their property.They do not get offended when they see a stranger crossing their property.

Always seem to be good people there.These are usually the families and descendents of of the Farm Family.

Other land-owners sometimes seem offended that you bothered them by stopping to ask permission. ( usually the City People that you referred to )

I am confused at times.We park on driveways anddrive on parkways.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they call it tourist season why can't we shoot them? words to live by when it comes to these yuppy, bottle water drinking scum.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just because they are from the city doesn't mean they are a lot dumber than you. They probably want to live there for the same reason you do. In many areas of the west Californians have sold $70,000 homes for $600,000 or $1,200,000 and bought ranchettes elsewhere. In some cases, people who have been on the land for 5 generations can no longer afford the taxes on their land and have had to sell and move. ' Course with the Californians there, I am not sure why they would want to stay. Happening everywhere.[:(]
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    quote:In some cases, people who have been on the land for 5 generations can no longer afford the taxes on their land Sounds like you better fix those taxes - quick!!! If the taxes are so high that they force people off their land, change the taxes!!!!!

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, NRA ILA EVC, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    militarybest_1732_9663365
  • Options
    NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Did you ever ask a Montanan what he thinks/feels when he sees a California license plate in his area more than one day?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shootist, the taxes go up because land values and property values go up markedly when you start building 1-2.5 million dollar houses among the ancient adobes and trailers.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The saying they have here in Florida is "Welcome to Florida, now go Home".

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like everytime some boob from Mass or NJ moves down here to FL it takes 'em about 5 minutes before they're calling on the 911 line all panicked because someone's shooting a GUN back there in the woods! They're astounded when I tell them that shooting in rural areas is quite common, and they'd better get used to it. And 'NO, you don't have to register with the chief of police to own a gun.' 'Yes, I understand that's not how they do it in (take your pick: NY, NJ, PA, Mass, CT, RI, NH, etc.)" Why DO people move somewhere to get away, then expect it to be just like where they left anyway?

The only thing worse than lawbreakers, are lawmakers.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They moved out here 20 years ago moanin & groanin about the high property taxes back in Rochester.

Then they started complaining about here.....

It's too dark to let the kids play outside at night.... We need sreet lights

The school really needs a better (take your pick) Library, sports field, Multi media room, Safer buses, etc.... It's abusive to expect your kids to learn like this, no wonder they'll never be anything but farmers and clerks.

I got sick last week, I had to drive all of 6 miles to the next villiage to see a doctor and pick up my prescription. They should build a shopping plaza with a pharmacy and a doctors office.

I had to drive so far to cash my social security check at a bank......See above

There were 2 children hit by cars out on the main road in the past 15 years..... We need to build a network of sidewalks so the kids don't have to be in the road.

That cabbage farm stinks!! Why do they have to grow cabbage right next to my house???

Before you know it, they start complaining the taxes are too high. Then they move to the next town out and the cycle starts over again.

Maybe we need to start replying to them.

It's pretty nice to go out and walk in just light of the moon and stars.

Lack of improved schools never hurt Abraham Lincoln, Henry Ford, or hundreds of other famous people that learned from the world around them rather than a book.

A plaza will only bring more people increasing the number of people that might get you sick, The doctor will charge more because his expenses will be higher, it's cheaper to drive.

A bank will only demand more comercial development making this even more of a urban area.

Teach your kids to stay out of the road! Slow down when coming home from your city job! Otherwise it's just Darwinian selection!

Well duh, cabbage stinks when it starts to rot, if you don't want to smell it, pay the farmer to raise daisies!! Otherwise shut up because those cabbages only pay taxes rather than spend them like your house does.

It will only be justice when these countries we import food from realize they are in the same position the arabs were in 30 years ago. I have this strange fantasy food prices will get so high farmers buy up houses just to tear them down and grow crops on the land.

Woods
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OSS, neighbor, amigo - I know *EXACTLY* where you're coming from. "Freaking" flatlanders. My blood pressure just soared and I started foaming.

elect1, the quote, on the shirts I wear, is: "Why do they call it 'Tourist Season' when we can't shoot the b*stards?"

CFPython - "NH??????????????????????????????????????????????????????" Any freaking flatlander you see from NH with that attitude is from Massachusetts *by way* of NH! After they F**K up our state, they head south. Us natives don't like that cockroach crap any better than you do!

I'd rather bomb Massachusetts than Iraq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And NY, NJ, CT in general plus all urban areas between Norfolk and Portland.

Freaking flatlanders . . . no lower lifeforms on this planet, and dumb as hell - the same scum who inflict Kennedy, Kerry, Schumacher, Swillary, et. al. on this otherwise great nation.

I realize there are a minority here who reside in these areas; this diatribe is not directed toward you, but intended as an explantation of my one-fingered salutes when I see the license plates.

Godda*n, but I loathe, hate and despise flatlanders!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    old single shots;
    I have the same problem you have. They move because they do not like it where they were. Then, when they get here, they want to make it just like where they left. I wish they would just stay, where they started from.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY! There are innocent people here in MA, let me know when you plan to attack, I will evacuate. I would love to live in SD someday, but all I can do is dream for now. When I retire, I'm taking ALL my guns with me and will let my neighbors shoot them. I'm one of the few non-gang members who actually carries a gun in Boston. You should see when some of those Ted Kennedy wannabees start telling me off when they see my holster about how guns kill, I say keep talking and you will see first hand @ss hole. (only kidding) I tell them if a gang member or anybody starts shooting I'm just going to protect myself, my family and the well being of innocent people.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast,

Tell us how you really feel.

Flatlanders I thought that's what Wisconsin called us Illinoisians. Little more polite than FIB.

Stopped in a McDonalds in Wisconsin a couple years ago had a guy call me a flatlander. I said "...flatlander? That's a new one, so what do I call you a hillbilly?" Said it with a smile on my face. He laughed.

I may soon join the Wisco crowd. just over the border.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Several years ago we had an old boy move down here from Mass. He bought the property right next door to the local informal shooting range. (Old abandoned rock quarry) Well the first time I was down there shooting he called the Sheriff and complained some one was shooting at his house. The Deputy came out checked us out told him that it was perfectly legal and this guy threw a fit. Tried to get a lawyer to get an injunction to keep people from using the land to shoot on. It was a real eye opener for me about the hatred some city people have for guns. He stayed for about 2 years and finally moved don't know where nor do I care. He was generally a real unpopular fellow. Every time you turned around he was complaining about something. He went totaly berserk the first deer season he was here. People get their ideas of wildlife from Disney don't need to ever leave the pavement

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've had a similar problem here in rural Missouri. We've had alot of people retire from Calif. and move here. They usually have family ties here. They can sell their homes in Ca. and buy a house with land here and still have money left over. What kills me is, the first thing you see is a bull dozer knocking over trees on their property. They want to live the rural life, but all those trees get in the way.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese in the trap.