In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Razor stupidity

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
Ok. The 3 blade razor came out while I was in college. They gave them to us free. So I used it.

Then the 4 blade job comes out.

Now the 5 blade, with one extra for trimming. Blades advertised as closer together for a smoother, closer shave.

Now come ON! What does putting blades close together do? It makes the darn thing harder to clog, and harder to rinse out without a pressure washer and 3000 psi! Unless you shave twice a day, the cartridge is useless after perhaps 5 shaves it is so clogged.

Ergo, I use an old double edged safety razor. Does a great job. Does not clog, and I can open the top to really rinse it. I get about 30 shaves a blade, which works out to one new blade every month. For lube, I use shaving soap applied with a brush, and boiling water; mixed with the cold soap cake it yeilds a nice hot, but not scalding lather. It also works well. Occasionally I use a straight razor; it works even better in terms of a close shave.

So why the damned rube goldberg razors, more complicated than need be? Or more to the point, WHY do people buy them???

Comments

• Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[:(][:)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 blades, then four, now five

it is kind of like the five day forecast, someone started the four day, now it had to be topped with 5, the rest feel pressured to keep up, try this

everyday write down the five day forecast, it will NEVER be correct, if there has been a drought, the forecast on the fifth day will be rain, and so on, i did it one summer for 30 days, not once was the fifth day correct, the fourth day was maybe 3 times out of 30
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you still buy one of the old safety razors?
    I would like to try one.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pure marketing genius, it requires the consumer to purchase more product.
  • Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    I'm looking forward to the day that they introduce the 6 blade or even the 7 or 8th bladed razor.[}:)]

That way the cost of my three bladed razor will be pennies on the dollar[^]
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Double is as good as I will go...single most of the time
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Er, one correction; in my rant I wrote HARDER to clog, it should be, of course easier.

I got my safety razor in an antique store for $5. But you can get them new online; just google it.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I use a Mach 3 and it works fine for me. I'd rather have a straight blade but havn't been able to find one.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Word to y'all- BEARD.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    I use the Gillette Fusion.

It is the best razor I've ever used. I have a tuff beard and sensitive skin. The five blades give you a really close shave with one pass without having to repeatedly drag the razor across your skin...which irritates the heck out of my skin.

Expensive, yes, but well worth it, IMO.
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one of those new 5-blade razors in the mail....1st time I tried it, I looked like I tried to shave with a CHEESE GRATER!!! Right before church on Sunday, had to go in with T.P. stuck all over my face!! I use the old two-blade throw-aways from gillette. I can get @ 10 good shaves from mine (I have a beard, so I only have to keep the edges in check...[:D])
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm waiting for the 7 blade model. . .

Seriously, right when the three blade first came out I saw a magazine cartoon of a seven or eight blade razor making fun of this process.

It said something like: "The first blade whispers to the hair to distract it, then the second blade sneaks up behind it, then the third blade cuts the hair, and the fourth blade cuts it again. . ." It was hilarious.

Little did the cartoonist realize that five blade razors actually WERE coming.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at the nifty $24+- price tag for 5 blade refills?[:D][;)]
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you noticed that when the newest blade gets introduced, the old iteration automatically becomes duller.
    Pete
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a shaving profile[}:)]
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    I see where this is going, Im going to start work on my 10 blade razor, they should be at 7 or 8 by the time im ready to market mine.

should make me quite a bit of money methinks
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The liberals are already trying to outlaw any razor that can hold more than 10 blades. Under this law, the Fusion will be classified as an assault razor and will be outlawed. To buy new razors and refills, you will have to buy a permit and undergo and FBI check. To forego this razor law, it would be easier to castrate yourself before puberty kicks in so your body doesn't throw out the hormones that cause you to grow a beard. And after all, isn't castration what they really want anyhow?
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    I use a Mach 3 and it works fine for me. I'd rather have a straight blade but havn't been able to find one.

I use the same brand and like them. My old man shaved with a straight razor every day of his life (he had two and alternated them in order to reduce the wear on the blades). I tried to use a straight razor once, came close to slitted my own throat and never messed with them again.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I was in the Navy Exchange I bought some blades for my three blade razor (I thought). The blades don't fit my three blade handle. The thing is the blades cost me so much, now I've got to find a handle to fit the blades.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Thy give away a razor handle and two proprietary blades that will only fit that razor handle. Odds are that 25% to 40% of those who actually use it will go and get at least one pack of razor refills for it. Probably 15% to 20% will convert and continue to use it every day - until the next model comes out and gets given away.[;)]

Did someone say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle
    Get a shaving profile[}:)]

Use "magic shave"[}:)]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.